Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belfast Celtic FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    Making the play off spot will do them no good, their ground is nowhere near up to standard.
    Yeah I know but officially they will have to be given till a certain date to upgrade their ground like we were two years ago. Altough we were much further ahead at this time of year than they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstic
    Can you imagine the following a team with 'Celtic' in it's name would get in Ireland, as long as it was in a proper league.
    Their honeymoon period could be better than that experienced by Derry City on our return to Senior footy. Massive crowds and media interest.

Pipe-dream maybe but who knows.
    Well we had Cork Celtic - big crowds for a while in the 70's when they won the league but about 60 people crammed into Flower Lodge for their game v Limerick in 1979 and they went bust a couple of months later. Never were as big as Hibs either who never reached the heights of United.

There was a Derry Celtic way back too.

Belfast Celtic were a huge team in the 40's far bigger in Belfast than any mediocre glasgow team. They were a fulltime team as were a few tema sin the LoI then too. they actually beat the Scottish national team 2-0 in 1949.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Times are moving on in Northern Ireland.

I had the pleasure of attending this event on 28th October 2010 at Windsor Park.

http://www.belfastceltic.org/celticlinfield.html

It was packed to the rafters with a very diverse audience.

It was great to see - an event that possibly couldn't have happened 10 short years ago.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Times are moving on in Northern Ireland.
    I had the pleasure of attending this event on 28th October 2010 at Windsor Park.

http://www.belfastceltic.org/celticlinfield.html

It was packed to the rafters with a very diverse audience.

It was great to see - an event that possibly couldn't have happened 10 short years ago.
    You say "Things are moving on", NB, but in a sense, things may be moving back (i.e. to where they once were).

For when I read about a Belfast Celtic event being hosted at the "sectarian cesspit" that is Windsor Park, I was reminded that the man who was possibly Belfast Celtic's greatest ever player, Charlie "The Clown Prince" Tully, was first scouted by the club when playing at Windsor - and at an RUC Sports Day, at that!

Click here for more details of the Falls Road's finest:
    http://nifootball.blogspot.com/2007/...lie-tully.html

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    You say "Things are moving on", NB, but in a sense, things may be moving back (i.e. to where they once were).

For when I read about a Belfast Celtic event being hosted at the "sectarian cesspit" that is Windsor Park, I was reminded that the man who was possibly Belfast Celtic's greatest ever player, Charlie "The Clown Prince" Tully, was first scouted by the club when playing at Windsor - and at an RUC Sports Day, at that!

Click here for more details of the Falls Road's finest:
    http://nifootball.blogspot.com/2007/...lie-tully.html
    A few amusing yarns were told about "The Clown Prince" at the event - one of his nephews was in attendance.

One particular story invloved some rarther, er, colourful language used by "The Clown Prince" in a Swiss Hospital which included a liberal amount of "f and "c" words - not sure how well the story went down with the former Presbyterian Moderator and his wife who were sat behind me.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Isn't there a BC museum just opened and some talk of a commemorative re-match against, er, Linfield??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Isn't there a BC museum just opened and some talk of a commemorative re-match against, er, Linfield??
    Didn't hear about the re-match.

There is a museum in the Park Shopping Centre just off the M1. Well worth a visit. I was up there a few weeks ago however check for opening times as it is staffed by volunteers - normally open last saturday of the month. The shopping centre is built on the site of Celtic Park.

See

www.belfastceltic.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Belfast Celtic should never have gone. It's a club that had a great history. It's a pity the foresight was not there for them to have joined the league of Ireland.
    When Lurgan Celtic and Donegal Celtic had problems joining the league, they should have looked south at that time.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Don't think there was the, er, political, let alone sporting, er, will to accommodate anything like that from Beal-feirste back in those dark days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I suppose and clearly it never happened. When you look at the FAI today and taking players from Northern Ireland on board, the question has to be asked, what has the FAI ever done for the Nationalist community in the North. No olive branch was offered to Belfast Celtic.
    In the recent enough distant past, when Lurgan Celtic and Donegal seemed to have been prevented in joining the Irish League, they weren't exactly being offered a place in the LoI. To now contradict myself though!!!!... The FAI did only take control of the LoI recently but still they could have looked to helped.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12