Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Presidential Election 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Morning all and congrats to Miggledy Bizarre election but plenty of interest for this outsider...

It's an effective way of addressing ingrained very poor health, education and other localised social problems resulting from decades/ centuries of discrimination etc? (I'm willing to be convinced it's not the only nor most effective way)

Squeaky Jim was effective as part of a tiny opposition at Stormont, to be fair to him.

I'd recommend you

* cut the term to 5 years

* accept that if the political parties can't be arsed cranks will be encouraged to stand

* have James McClean in the Dana/ Casey/ Derrytoken role next time (he was quite effective/ active in the last GE in Foyle)
    Allister was effective, but a second seat has never looked close.

Casey has gone off the reservation. He won't be able to build on his 20% next time because he won't be getting a single nomination next time.

He won't be selected as a FF candidate for the dail in donegal either. Holding 2 seats there is already looking like a 7-10 split if SF can avoid the massive balls of things they made last time.

I do wonder when next time will be. At his age a full 7 year term for MDH is far from guaranteed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    How does recognition as an ethnic group do that? You're just giving soundbytes here when a debate is what's required
    Not my intention (nor effect either, I'd say). As I said, I offer an interested outsider's POV- traveller communities are an issue over here at the moment. Recognition as ethnically separate may not reduce the incidence of social problems or crime etc., but as it's supported by government action, academic research (see Wikipedia) and Community reps clearly many others are confident it will. I just posed a question before wading in.

At what stage do Pavee Point say "We need to make a concerted effort - as a community - to reduce [criminality and its perception by others]"?
    I genuinely thought they already had. Listening to a talk show recently (Irish Times Inside Politics IIRC) a woman called Catherine was making similar points.

(Don't get me started on gender recognition btw...another crock of ****e)
    'Soundbytes', you say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I do wonder when next time will be. At his age a full 7 year term for MDH is far from guaranteed
    If it's in 3 or 4 years time, presumably the Big 2 parties will have candidates, as well as SF. Bad-tempered bunfight ensuing.

If much sooner, who knows?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall
    Casey has gone off the reservation. He won't be able to build on his 20% next time because he won't be getting a single nomination next time.

He won't be selected as a FF candidate for the dail in donegal either. Holding 2 seats there is already looking like a 7-10 split if SF can avoid the massive balls of things they made last time.
    I'm sure he doesn't want to be the next George Lee. It's one thing wheeling and dealing at the top table of businesses, and another thing running clinics, to see that washing machines get fixed and helping constituents get hospital beds.

Lee couldn't hack TD life after 9 months with no power. I doubt Casey would.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I'd say, like a lot of people who run Independent nowadays, he might be aiming for the Mick Wallace model of rocketing to the top of the polls as some kind of locally praised take-no-prisoners maverick outsider and then continuing that trend in the Dail. Wallace doesn't do clinics as far as I'm aware (and, you know, the whole tax fraud thing), and still got re-elected (albeit with a very reduced vote, he might be in trouble next time).
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Wallace doesn't do constituency clinics, but the vast majority have to. It's a culture shock for someone coming from the dog eat dog world of the private sector, to suddenly have to do favours for people. Everything from attending marriages and parties, to getting medical cards and tv licences. And as George Lee discovered, it's not for everyone.

Last week, he was adamant he would win the election. This weekend, he gave a rambling, incoherent, delusional interview to RTE, about where he sees himself going with his 300k votes. The highlights being that he's going to run in several constituencies in the next election, rather than the one he's limited to, and that he will be Taoiseach in 2020 with FF back in office, as the audience howled with laughter. I suppose when you don't know how to get elected, don't have any policies to offer the electorate and don't know how to get them passed and implemented, it's easy to lose what's left of your marbles.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678