Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wexford 'Mutual Termination' of Damian Locke contract

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    yeah correct marino we played them in a friendly in station rd in preseason last. ex town player paul perth was managing them back then.
    We played a friendly there back in the Kildare County days, nice little ground. I think Newbridge Town underage setup split about two years back ? so not sure who is running the club now but they are very focused on underage so may not be interested in LOI

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    There was indeed a split ! Then a few of their best young players went to Shamrock Rovers, but I'm led to believe most of those lads are now back in the fold.The stadium is good enough for a First Division side, but like the rest of Ireland, the locals would give it a few weeks and sod off back to the pubs, leaving the club high and dry.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    For me one of the big problems in towns with a League of Ireland dream/vision, is the belief that the local GAA Senior and Junior players train just as hard as LoI players, and it's free to watch them.Take Newbridge as an example, the 2 big GAA clubs in Newbridge, Sarsfields (c'mon the Sash) and Moorefield, would hoover up most of the advertising and good will within the town, meaning what's left wouldn't carry a LoI team over a few months, never mind a season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    For me one of the big problems in towns with a League of Ireland dream/vision, is the belief that the local GAA Senior and Junior players train just as hard as LoI players, and it's free to watch them.Take Newbridge as an example, the 2 big GAA clubs in Newbridge, Sarsfields (c'mon the Sash) and Moorefield, would hoover up most of the advertising and good will within the town, meaning what's left wouldn't carry a LoI team over a few months, never mind a season.
    Not so sure its that grim. Newbridge Town have roots there already so would have a support base from the 'get go' whereas Kildare County was a somewhat artificial entity having to start from the ground (someone else's ground) up. given the huge population increase in and around Newbridge I think there is potential for a LOI club, just not sure Newbridge Town are interested in taking the risk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12