Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Reasons to be cheerful

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reasons to be cheerful

As we are all well aware, Ireland have reached a crucial stage in this World Cup qualifying campaign, with the huge qualifier against Israel on Saturday. This is a game which has been on our minds for months and caused worry for many Ireland supporters. Rightly so, as Israel are a good side and have had some good results thus far.

However, I feel that we need to be more positive about our own team and our position in this group. With the exception of Alan Quinn, we should have a fully fit squad. Crucially, that means that the trinity of Damien Duff, Roy Keane, and Robbie Keane are available at a period of the season when we often suffer with injuries. In addition, our aging but inspirational skipper, Kenny Cunningham is available for a game that will demand leadership. I'm not overly concerned by the talk of Given being injured. He is obviously carrying a knock but the media are simply trying to create a news story in the knowledge that Brian Kerr doesnt give away much before kick-off.

I think experience is the key to winning this game and indeed, this group. A lot of people complain that our team lacks Champions League experience. That may be true, but we have international experience in abundance. I think the only difficult decision Kerr has to make is whether to start with Steve Finnan or Andy Reid on the right, both in-form players at the moment. If Kerr starts with Finnan, the Irish starting 11 will have an average of 45 caps each. That is the type of experience that most other international teams can only dream of, and I believe that will be a huge benefit in this difficult encounter.

In fact, I firmly believe that our experience and organisation will be enough to see off a poorly-managed French team in September. From what I can see, the longer Raymond Domenesch is in charge of the French, the better it is for Ireland. The French may still have world-class players, but they are a shadow of their former selves. Zidane, Thuram, Desailly, Lizarazu, and Makelele have all departed. There is no squad in the world that can afford to lose so many experienced heads from their set-up. Added to these retirements is a manager who would appear to be struggling to win the respect of his players. Take for example Robert Pires. The Arsenal man has been frozen out by Domenesch. Rightly or wrongly, the French manager must be questioned over this decision. He has also persisted with a relatively novice defensive pairing
    from Monaco of Gael Givet and Sebastian Squillaci. While these players may be highly regarded in the upper echelons of European club football, the international scene is a different kettle of fish. In September 2001, Holland brought the much sought after central defender, Hoffland to Lansdowne Road. At the time, Arsene Wenger was weighing up a £15M move for the young defender. However, he froze in what was a highly pressurised game. This reinforces my point about the importance of international experience. With regard to the French, they look a lot less ominous than they did a year ago. Patrick Viera has had a poor season by his standards. The team does not have the same aura as it once did. To be honest, the only players who strike fear into me are Henry, Trezeguet and Giuly. I'm not sure is Henry going to miss France's up-coming games against Switzerland and Israel, but if he is, I believe the French will drop points.

With regard to our own game against Israel, there is no doubt that the home side will be up for it and the crowd will be partizan. Firstly, we need to match Isreal in terms of commitment and enthusiasm. If we do this the home crowd will quiten and the Israeli challenge may fade somewhat. As always, the first 20 minutes will be vital. We need all our players to stand up and be counted for. Unlike Basel last September, I believe the attitude of the players will be right on this occasion. This game has been built-up, and the manager and players understand its importance. On paper, Israel do not have the same quality as us. Although a number of their players have experience in Europe, they have only a handfull of players in the big European leagues. Tal Ben-Haim has done little for Bolton, while Idan Tal looked weak in physical terms during his spell at Everton. From the little I have seen of Benayoun of Santander, he is a talented player (somewhat similar to Hakan Yakin). However, I think Roy Keane and Kevin Kilbane are capable of bullying such a player. We cannot allow him get on the ball and I dont think we will. I remember when we played Estonia in the 2002 WC qualifiers, there was a lot of talk about Zelinski and Oper. The two of them had run amuck against Holland 4 days earlier. However, unlike the Dutch, the Irish team did not stand off and allow the Estonian midfield to play. In a similar way, I believe that this Irish team will stamp their authority on the game and I can see us shutting down the threat of Benayoun.

The next week will have a major bearing on the outcome of this group. Our game against Israel is the key to us winning the group. Regardless of the results of the other games, some of the top teams will drop points against each other. When this happens, we may well have the breathing space we require in this group. All in all, I'm confident that this will be the first Irish team to go on and win a qualifying group for a major tournament.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    All in all, I'm confident that this will be the first Irish team to go on and win a qualifying group for a major tournament.
    So we didn't win our group for Euro88.
    Only seven teams qualified along with hosts, Germany.
    There musta been a boycott or wait, this happened before Sky invented football in 1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Do you work at all P.M.!!?

Had to breeze through it as too busy to read all of it!!

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Do you work at all P.M.!!?

Had to breeze through it as too busy to read all of it!!
    The jamaican Pm probably gets his secretary/stalker 'Ronan' to type for him as he dictates his speech to save time i presume??!!! heh heeh , snigger....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    If you think about it, the maximum no of points France & Switzerland can get from Israel is 4. I don't fancy Israel to figure in the final shake up.

That means 6 points from Israel crystallises a 2 point advantage over our 2 main rivals. 4 points means we have to beat at least one of them to put further daylight between us and France or Switzerland. A draw just throws us back in the mix and leaves us exposed to one of France or Switzerland getting 6 points from the other. I also think we need insurance against one dodgy result (away to Cyprus or a slip at home).

I think we're good enough to beat Israel away and I expect us to do so. JPM drew attention to the Estonia game in 2001. I think this is harder than that game but no more difficult than the game in Tirana 2 years ago (despite what current rankings suggest). Albania also had a hostile crowd, one outstanding attacking midfielder, a good coach and a good home record at the time. But I think we're a substantially better team now than back then.

It's all well & good saying how good we are or can be soon but we need results to back this up. Right now I'll be disappointed with anything but a win on Saturday.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We did in indeed win our qualifiying group in Group in 88' Group 7 here

http://www.fifaworldcup.co.uk/euro/88page.htm

God bless you Gary MacKay...a wonder strike in the 86th minute against Bulgaria. Charlton had thought of sending him a Magnum of Champagne but was told that it might look a bit off if he did. All the same I'm sure Gary is not short of a pint when he comes to these shores!
    Last edited by onenilgameover; 23/03/2005 at 2:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    top lad jamaica. Agree with most of the good post.
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    If you think about it, the maximum no of points France & Switzerland can get from Israel is 4. I don't fancy Israel to figure in the final shake up.

That means 6 points from Israel crystallises a 2 point advantage over our 2 main rivals. 4 points means we have to beat at least one of them to put further daylight between us and France or Switzerland. A draw just throws us back in the mix and leaves us exposed to one of France or Switzerland getting 6 points from the other. I also think we need insurance against one dodgy result (away to Cyprus or a slip at home).

I think we're good enough to beat Israel away and I expect us to do so. JPM drew attention to the Estonia game in 2001. I think this is harder than that game but no more difficult than the game in Tirana 2 years ago (despite what current rankings suggest). Albania also had a hostile crowd, one outstanding attacking midfielder, a good coach and a good home record at the time. But I think we're a substantially better team now than back then.

It's all well & good saying how good we are or can be soon but we need results to back this up. Right now I'll be disappointed with anything but a win on Saturday.

Agree with the crystalisation and the like. A win and we'll all be rollin our barrells along
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onenilgameover
    We did in indeed win our qualifiying group in Group in 88' Group 7 here

http://www.fifaworldcup.co.uk/euro/88page.htm

God bless you Gary MacKay...a wonder strike in the 86th minute against Bulgaria. Charlton had thought of sending him a Magnum of Champagne but was told that it might look a bit off if he did. All the same I'm Gary is not short of a pint when he comes to these shores!
    I mentioned Euro88 already.

Good ol' JPM, never lets the facts get in the way.

Awful nice of him to put his neck on the line and predict something that happened 17 years ago. Get to Ladbrokes boy.

Like I said SKY and 1992, inflatable hammers and ole ole ole.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    So we didn't win our group for Euro88.
    Only seven teams qualified along with hosts, Germany.
    There musta been a boycott or wait, this happened before Sky invented football in 1992
    I actually meant a WC qualifying group. Should have stated so. Of course I was around before the ole ole brigade.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    I actually meant a WC qualifying group. Should have stated so. Of course I was around before the ole ole brigade.

Ah, the good old “you’re only a real fan if you were around before Sky” slag. Great work. God help anyone unfortunate to be born after 1985. Unfortunately you are going to be considered a plastic fan. As a matter of fact, it would be much better if you stopped attending matches, buying merchandise and even talking about football.

Then us “real” fans that watched Ireland pre-Sky and pre-Euro 88 can get on with being real miserable b*st*rds.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    By the way Jamaican PM, that was a fantastic post. I like the way you acknowledge that Kerr’s only real selection dilema is in the choice of right midfielder (Finnan or Reid). While we are all aware that O’Shea and Morrison are not getting regular football, anyone who has followed Kerr’s selections so far will know that he will persevere with them (and probably rightly so). The main concern for me is that O’Brien has not been getting regular first team football and when he has played he’s been average, more than likely as a result of a confidence dip. Maybe (and only maybe), Kerr could have given Dunne a greater run out in the last friendly and given his form and O’Brien’s lack of, perhaps there is a genuine argument for Dunne’s inclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin77
    The main concern for me is that O’Brien has not been getting regular first team football and when he has played he’s been average, more than likely as a result of a confidence dip.
    He has started 5 of Newcastle's last 9 games since the Portugal friendly which is the same as the likes of Robbie Keane so no worries in that department. He scored in his last game for us and his confidence looked fine after that so he should be fine. He played well against Pompey supposedly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin77
    Ah, the good old “you’re only a real fan if you were around before Sky” slag. Great work. God help anyone unfortunate to be born after 1985. Unfortunately you are going to be considered a plastic fan. As a matter of fact, it would be much better if you stopped attending matches, buying merchandise and even talking about football.

Then us “real” fans that watched Ireland pre-Sky and pre-Euro 88 can get on with being real miserable b*st*rds.
    Ahhh, remember the days before live football on tv. BBC Radio 2 on Wednesday nights.. second half commentary only, Brian Butler live from Anfield as Liverpool go one up against St. Etienne.. then the highlights later on on Midweek Sports Special with Brian Moore.. those were the days. School the next day.. trying to pronounce the players names off Dukla Prague.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    Ahhh, remember the days before live football on tv. BBC Radio 2 on Wednesday nights.. second half commentary only, Brian Butler live from Anfield as Liverpool go one up against St. Etienne.. then the highlights later on on Midweek Sports Special with Brian Moore.. those were the days. School the next day.. trying to pronounce the players names off Dukla Prague.
    The BBC R2 theme music for football, still used on 5 Live, is a masterpiece.

Avoiding the results of the footy and then having to watch the boxing from Bethnal Green on Sportsnight (speaking of theme music...) before they'd show the midweek footy highlights of a cup replay. All of this after arguing with me mum about being allowed to stay up.

Best radio footy moments I can remember:

Frank the Plank scoring a last minute back-heel against Malta
    Paul Vaessen's last minute winner for Arsenal away to Juve in 1980

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    The BBC R2 theme music for football, still used on 5 Live, is a masterpiece.

Avoiding the results of the footy and then having to watch the boxing from Bethnal Green on Sportsnight (speaking of theme music...) before they'd show the midweek footy highlights of a cup replay. All of this after arguing with me mum about being allowed to stay up.

Best radio footy moments I can remember:

Frank the Plank scoring a last minute back-heel against Malta
    Paul Vaessen's last minute winner for Arsenal away to Juve in 1980
    Memories, remember Vaessens goal, I was in the bath at the time, funny how we remember thess things.

Has to be Fairclough's goal against St. Etienne, the commentator didnt speak for about five minutes later because of the noise.