Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Where might new clubs come from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    There has certainly been a massive change in attitude towards club volunteers being more qualified in child welfare, first-aid, coaching, etc. in the past 15 or so years but I don't think clubs had much choice. Where I live there's six clubs within a 2km radius, so if you're trying to charge €100-€200 membership, people expect it and if one club can't offer this environment then they'll move to another club.
    The single biggest obstacle to the pyramid is still getting the various league committees to vote for their own abolishment but at least we finally have someone in the FAI actually talking about it. It's the first step. The lockdown was the perfect opportunity to rearrange everything and align all the leagues to the same season. Personally I couldn't care less whether that's the traditional season or the calendar season, let's face it, the weather's s h i t e in Galway all year round!
    There certainly has, an awful lot done but still some improvements needed and not all need major effort. Some small tweaks to prematch procedure could have massive impact. An example would be the availability of defibs - they can be costly pieces of kit and are often kept locked up or safe in the boot of a coaches car. They are forgotten so often to be made available prior to a game, until needed, and there is a scramble. As per refs checking boots and shin guards, why not add defib to the list of checks before he/she allows kick-off. Maybe it is happened in more recent years but the FAI should be buying the likes of defibs in bulk so they can be sold on to clubs at as close to cost price as possible (sponsorship deals? with each senior clubs/international fixtures giving up some advertisment space and do it in conjunction the the IHF....cynically even if its to help rebuild public opinion of the FAI). There should also be a mandate to clubs to prioritise defib acquisition - before the new set of fancy jerseys. Community first responders groups already feed in to the 112 response to a cardiac event, but are thin on the ground, clubs especially in rural areas could really contribute to that system and gain some serious kudos in their locality and the organisation nationally.
    Walk and Talk initiatives with clubs and communities to get people active, get some regular company to isolated folk - across all club players and coaches it isnt a huge burden to volunteer 40 minutes every so often to walk and chat to an elder member of the community. The list is endless and these are just off the top of the head that wouldnt take huge organising but the return of such embedding in to a community could be enormous.

Its not as off topic as it may seem as a lot of the concern for clubs changing things up is cost, and volunteers. There are so many ways to tap in to communities and by extension funding that goes under the radar as they dont initially flag as sporting related. People will point to the GAA as being in this role in communities already but its no reason not to step up too, build some bridges there with joint initiatives....Thomas Davis with SRFC would turn heads.

People assume that Development officers are all about structures for developing players, but there is argument for expanding the role, (or more there should be additional RDO's with a remit for structural & admin development) and then eventually all the dots can be joined and you have a cohesive system amost ready to roll out. Leagues and clubs wont want to be left behind and there could be joint or co positions on an interim bases to be phased out over time so easing the egos of those that feel their personal sense of importance is being abolished. I'll bet a lot of the types that are resisting change would be appeased with some symbolic title....Honourary President of local pitch inspectors, give them a badge to iron on to a jacket and a pat on the back every AGM.

Just a final point, I know clubs need to generate funds, but I really hate the idea that it could cost €200 for any kid to play football - throw in boots, shinguards etc. and its creating an 'elite' like game. I have no alternative to this in mind tbh bar maybe some sort of government subsidy to the game. It's worse again if parents are paying a premium to get their kids on the books of a particular club due the a perception of superior coaching - creating footballer farms?!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 12/05/2021 at 8:50 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    The local LOI club charges their underage players €400. Scandalous!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    €400!? FFS, ye wouldnt want to have a gaggle of kids that want to play ball there. Id love to know how that is broken down, insurance, kit etc. to justify that money. Is it seen as a bit of a cash cow for the club? What would be an average cost per child at clubs around the country and for other sports too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Its 330 for 10's and up in Cabo and i think 500 for LOI but its South County Dublin Loike you know goys

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Peamount produced figures a number of seasons ago that it cost 30k to put out a single team per season at national level, if I remember right, and that was with no payments to players. If you charge 500e per player, you're still only covering about one-third of costs. Most clubs, I guess, also take into account the fact that not every family will be in a position to pay the charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    I can see how the expense is there for national levels. But as Bucket mentioned, there are 6 clubs in a couple of km and while the LoI club may have youths in national leagues and membership is at a premium, for local schoolkids leagues costs still seem excessive and prohibitive. Maybe people have the cash or maybe we need more youths clubs, introduce quotas, geographic based membership and somehow drive cost down, find a breakeven point? (Could be higher than average membership fees at some clubs of course). I presume LoI clubs are selecting players on merit from schoolboys football and it not being parents that can afford it roll up and pay to have their child on the books. Adds further to the thinking that competitive games should only start in later age groups U10/12s on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Its 330 for 10's and up in Cabo and i think 500 for LOI but its South County Dublin Loike you know goys
    The only thing with Cabo under age is they have so many teams, everybody gets a game. I used to referee in DDSL and a couple of times up there they played kids with very obvious disabilities, one kid had cerebral palsy and wasn't great on his feet but they still played him, they are a very inclusive club at Underage and at the lower levels it's about giving kids a game not about results

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    The only thing with Cabo under age is they have so many teams, everybody gets a game. I used to referee in DDSL and a couple of times up there they played kids with very obvious disabilities, one kid had cerebral palsy and wasn't great on his feet but they still played him, they are a very inclusive club at Underage and at the lower levels it's about giving kids a game not about results
    Yes 100% agree with this, some of the years have 5 and 6 teams and basically everyone is welcome.
    Some very decent people running it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Dya know reading that has made my day!! So thanks for that nice wee bit of info.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Never knew that, fair play & good luck to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Just noticed rovers under 17s played the Donegal league in the national u17 league at the weekend..
    What's the purpose of the DL playing underage? Another donegal team with Harps? I get cavan/monaghan, Mayo etc as potential feeders with no loi club in the area but Dl seems strange.
    Donegal is a big county I suppose

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    Wexford People this week has an article about Yola FC. Still operating and planning to apply to join the league again next season apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/regionals/w...-40670861.html

Where will their home ground be? If it's closer to town they might have some chance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    Just noticed rovers under 17s played the Donegal league in the national u17 league at the weekend..
    What's the purpose of the DL playing underage? Another donegal team with Harps? I get cavan/monaghan, Mayo etc as potential feeders with no loi club in the area but Dl seems strange.
    That’s the woman’s league fixture you’re talking about,they don’t enter teams on the men’s side..
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    That was against Donegal Women's League in WNL U17.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Lol my eyesight is going the way of the rest of me.
    Do Harps not have a woman's team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    341 Posts
    Not as of yet but I think it’s something that is in the works in the not to distant future….

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Next season, as far as I'm aware.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    407 Posts

Where will their home ground be? If it's closer to town they might have some chance!
    Their name alone should be sufficient grounds to not let them in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts

Should they not be a part of the youth leagues as an expression of their interest in joining the LoI?

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast