Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Where might new clubs come from?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I see Monaghan United are joining the Ulster Senior League. Any appetite there to make it back to LOI level?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    There's a Monaghan & Cavan side in the youth leagues, I had always assumed those teams (Kerry League,Mayo League etc) have long term plans to set up a LOI side but none of them seem that eager
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I see Monaghan United are joining the Ulster Senior League. Any appetite there to make it back to LOI level?
    Having MagicMe back would be good considering past foot.ie regulars in the other thread. Hope she is good and well these days. Gortakeegan is scarce on good memories for me but would still love to see them back in senior football. I'm sure it has to be an aspiration if it can be sustained without just a few people busting themselves to keep things going. Hopefully joining the USL is a stepping stone back to LoI, helping with players development pathway for the region - that I think Dundalk should be dipping into when there isnt a LoI senior side!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Having MagicMe back would be good considering past foot.ie regulars in the other thread. Hope she is good and well these days. Gortakeegan is scarce on good memories for me but would still love to see them back in senior football. I'm sure it has to be an aspiration if it can be sustained without just a few people busting themselves to keep things going. Hopefully joining the USL is a stepping stone back to LoI, helping with players development pathway for the region - that I think Dundalk should be dipping into when there isnt a LoI senior side!
    Magicme is abroad now Nesta shes in Indonesia one of those countries.Has being out there since Monaghan got out of the loi.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Magicme is abroad now Nesta shes in Indonesia one of those countries.Has being out there since Monaghan got out of the loi.
    That's taking the loss of your team pretty hard !

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Jakarta Mondogs!!! worth millions, and a preseason away trip - more than one way to build a LoI brand in Asia than signing a player. Hope she is well, I would head off if Dundalk left LoI too though North Korea for me - sure Bray is only up the road!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Yeah she does still be on facebook and instagram Magicme. Last time I met her was in 2011 after we played them in Longford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I know it's not quite the right thread but don't think it deserves a new one because the conversation has been done to death at this stage.

Looking at the split season happening in Belgium, Scotland etc I think it's something which should be looked at for our league. Increasing the amount of important games and generally increasing interest around the end of the season with similar ability teams playing each other more often. Not sure what the rest of ye think but I would say the move to a 10 team premier division has been a pretty decent success. Teams like Harps, Longford, Waterford have been able to build much more competitive squads with a smaller division. I think the next step now is to move away from the standard home and away format and playoff system that we've taken from England and come up with something which can generate public interest over a month or two instead of just one or two matches involving a handful of teams at the end of the season.

And actually more related to the discussion of potential new clubs. I know that it was a complete disaster but why exactly did the A championship fail so badly? Is the suggestion of a third tier in Irish football still off limits a decade on from that failed attempt?

Without really knowing the ins and outs on what would make it work, it seems like we could be better set for the concept now. It seems like more clubs are considering the step up to senior football so that they can compete in the national underage leagues. Couple this with clubs like Shamrock Rovers who are now actively looking to get a second team playing on the national stage it seems like it would have a better chance of succeeding than before.

It probably sounds premature but in theory I think the FAI could set a start date for a third tier in 2023 and work with any interested clubs in the meantime to get them in a position for senior football by that date.

I'm aware that the possibility of an All Ireland League could play havoc to this idea but I'm choosing to ignore that for now because there's such little substance to it at the moment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Im basing my opinion on a split season done here previouslly 93/94 was it? It was a disaster and nearly killed clubs with dismal crowds outside of the title challengers. As per usual with tinkering with league formats it was probably ill conceived and rushed through by the clubs then running the league. Maybe there are tweaks to a format to try and keep things interesting but a lot of those are gimmicks imo eg European Conference play-off somehow for teams outside the top 3 and cup winners. I think there is a lot more to do before we continue to try and come up with some format that will have any baring on things. The first step is always going to be the same and thats increased investment via FAI prizemoney, overall improving facilities, standards, and the general public barometer of European ranking. Everything else is window dressing. The recently used example of the plans issued by Linfield would be a nice starting point albeit needed for the whole league - I wouldnt care if it was completely cogged as long as there is real buy-in and ambition to attain any stated goals.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Howdy all, slight change of username as couldn't access my old account. My lugs were burning with you talking about me so I decided to come in and say hi.

Am thrilled we are joining the USL and I know there has been a fantastic team of people working at the club over the last few years ensuring juvenile football was maintained. It's why we pulled out of the league rather than go bust. We wanted to protect community football. I feel we were vindicated as Gortakeegan is still a hotbed of football activity.

I myself haven't been involved much since we left the league and as stated by Marty, I headed off to sunnier climes. I didn't leave right away, stuck around until 2017. My youngest had started uni, I had no football and didn't see much point sticking around.

Travelled a bit then fell in love with Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and was based there and exploring Asia until came back to Monaghan in November to be with my family.

Anyhow, am hoping will get to see a few games before I go back to KL but my jerseys are over there so will have to get a new one. 😁

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the current format, but I agree there needs more tiers to it.
    Scanlon has mentioned that he's working on a pyramid. Relegation out of the First Division is crucial to improve the standard of it.
    As Nesta says improving facilities, prizemoney etc., is badly needed and the FAI are actively helping clubs to apply for grants.
    The only thing I could see wrong with the A Championship was that a team could finish 5th, behind four B teams, but be the highest placed first-team and get promoted ala Mervue and Salthill Devon.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    The other problem with the A Championship is that it was just an extension of our current daft non-pyramid system. The Tralee Dynamoes case illustrates that well. They left their District League, had no games for a number of months due to a change in season, and then when the A Championship folded they again had no games for a number of months while they changed back to winter football, and started at the bottom of the Kerry league again, a couple of divisions below where they had been.

Why would any club bother their hole with that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    From what I can gather, Monaghan United joined the USL as it's going to effectively become a third tier alongside the LSL and MSL top divisions. No idea what's happening with Connacht, but probably makes more sense to make a regional league there with the USL, due mostly to a lack of teams.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Are Monaghan Utd and Cavan/Monaghan related in any way? Could Monaghan use them to tick the box for underage LOI?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Are Monaghan Utd and Cavan/Monaghan related in any way? Could Monaghan use them to tick the box for underage LOI?
    Monaghan United/Cavan Football Partnership is the full name of the underage team. It's effectively Monaghan United with a bit of extra help from Cavan/Monaghan underage leagues.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    From what I can gather, Monaghan United joined the USL as it's going to effectively become a third tier alongside the LSL and MSL top divisions.
    Hold on - what?

Any insight on that - when or how? The season change is a big issue to resolve first of course, and that's before the politics enters into it.

But it'd be huge news if it were even actively in the pipelines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Hold on - what?

Any insight on that - when or how? The season change is a big issue to resolve first of course, and that's before the politics enters into it.

But it'd be huge news if it were even actively in the pipelines.
    No idea how it'll work, when it's to take place, but Monaghan haven't joined a dying league for nothing. Just what I was told from someone involved within the league, who I'd normally trust to be fairly on the spot with info.

USL press release mentioned having positive approaches with other clubs about stepping up to it too, which would add up, as more clubs have gone away from it in recent years, leaving a 5 team league before Monaghan joined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Yeah Nesta it was such a weird ending to the season. Think it could ave being 92/93 season as far as I remember .But it was definitley the mid 90s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    92/93 and 93/94

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Yeah Nesta it was such a weird ending to the season. Think it could ave being 92/93 season as far as I remember .But it was definitley the mid 90s.
    It did give relegation threatened clubs a sort of 2nd crack of the whip to get out of trouble but clubs that were top of the 2nd tier in the split and probably those bottom of the tope end split it was meaningless so interest fell off. It was just going to games as a sense of duty, flat atmosphere with a lot of stalwars just not bothering too.

26. Thanks From:

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast