Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Loan Players

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Loan Players

Is it me or are there an awful lot of loan players coming into the league this season. Since Jaros was a success last year suddenly a young keeper from across the water is the answer. Do we not have any 19 year old keepers who deserve a chance.
    I wonder if this continues what effect it will have on club academies. Surely these players have to be given a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    7 of the 10 clubs in the division have Irish starting keepers that have been developed by their club or in the league,only Rovers and the 2 you mention dont.

Obviously young players should be given the chance if they're good enough but at the end of the day Tim Clancy and SO'D have their own targets and expectations to meet and have to get the best player possible to do that.

Young players getting a chance is great but we still have to keep in mind its the highest level of football in this country and has demands on managers outside of developing young players....
    Last edited by joey B; 04/02/2022 at 6:21 PM.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I think of all the things that could be levelled at the league, not giving young players a chance isn't one of them right now.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    If I had the free time on my hands to route through squads for the past decade or so I'd agree there does appear to be alot more imports and loans from the UK into the league

As Joey B says increased win-now demands on most PD clubs and managers is not conducive for giving 19/20 year olds regular opportunities except the most talented one who are ready. I don't think the Under 19 underage cut-off has helped some players who may have needed that extra year or two to develop like when we had the Under 21 league or A championship but the stronger economy and mostly crap part-time LOI wages does not making being a part-time LOI footballer an attractive proposition so Inter and Junior footballing benefiting from that

I do think with the UK Brexit under 18 restrictions kicking in we will see increasing numbers of young Irish players over the next 2-3 years emerge in the LOI after Under 19 level who may have previously gone to the UK at 16
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stav View Post
    Is it me or are there an awful lot of loan players coming into the league this season. Since Jaros was a success last year suddenly a young keeper from across the water is the answer. Do we not have any 19 year old keepers who deserve a chance.
    I wonder if this continues what effect it will have on club academies. Surely these players have to be given a chance.

Waterford have had a huge influx of players from outside the league the last 6 years and imo it hasn’t really impacted U19s coming thru. We’ve some very talented former 19s that have taken the step up in recent years that will play a big part this season. Even last season core of our team played 19s - Griffin, OKeffee, Martin and Power were regulars in the starting team.

A few years ago we also had a loanee keeper that was a successful signing for us from the UK. Now we were lucky as he was and still is a starter at football league level in England but was out of favour with the manager and Power was paying his wages and wanted him playing.

I think the biggest factor is, nowadays the UK teams look at Ireland as a viable option to send players on loan too. Players would develop so much playing over here for a season then playing U23s in the UK. It also works in the favour of clubs too because most of the time it’s a cheap risk without any long term contract in place in case the player didn’t work out.

I get the point on 19s but at the end of the day some of them although are extremely talented, not all are capable of the step up to first team level - this is the biggest issue imo. Long term there’s needs to be another league added between 19s and seniors to bridge the gap. Most of the loanee’s coming over are better equipped for first team then the 19s. I don’t know if it’s just me but i think it’s becoming more common within the league where players from clubs academy’s are going on to become key first team players. May not be every club but there’s definitely more clubs giving 19s the chance at senior level. I feel some clubs offering more committed to some of the better 19s too. Without loans I personally don’t think it’d impact the number of 19s signed up for the first team. It’s not uncommon for a couple 19s to be on senior pro contracts and then there be even a larger number not on pro deals but still registered for the first team.

At the end of the day if any club values a player at 19s level then they’re going to be signed on a pro senior contract regardless of what and who comes in the door.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 05/02/2022 at 9:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stav View Post
    I'm not sure how much loan signings will impact clubs developing their own players.

But I'd go as far as to suggest it affects a different type of player. Instead of having to take a punt on signing a potential flop on a 1 year contract, take on someone who is rated by their parent club. In theory we're less likely to see an Abibi or Tidmann. Remains to be seen if clubs are less willing to take a punt on a Gary Twigg type.

It's already been said but worth reiterating:
    - loaning players from EPL or other well regarded academies is an acknowledgement of the league's standing.
    - It's a positive for the clubs, as getting a known quantity. Can in turn be more discerning with other transfers.

On the other hand relying on the loan market to fill the same hole in your team each year would not seem like the wisest thing. But just having the same hole in your team year on year should be cause for concern in itself.