Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Top 10 World Cup shameful moments

  1. #1
    Capped Player OwlsFan's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Posts
    10,130
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    797
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,272
    Thanked in
    714 Posts

    Top 10 World Cup shameful moments

    According to the Daily Telegraph:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...l-moments.html

    Henry comes in 2nd behind the Hand of God.

    Wasn't there a game though where the teams played for a draw (not us and Holland) from the first minute?

    I can't really find it in my heart to blame the Uruguayan defender who handled the ball on the line. At least the referee spotted this, sent him off and awarded a penalty to Ghana. Somehow or other I can distinguish between something that is seen and punished (even though Ghana missed the penalty) and a sneaky handball which is not seen. Perhaps there is no logic in that distinction but I would not call the Uruguayian player a "cheat".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

  2. #2
    Seasoned Pro jbyrne's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    494
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    652
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    can't really find it in my heart to blame the Uruguayan defender who handled the ball on the line. At least the referee spotted this, sent him off and awarded a penalty to Ghana. Somehow or other I can distinguish between something that is seen and punished (even though Ghana missed the penalty) and a sneaky handball which is not seen. Perhaps there is no logic in that distinction but I would not call the Uruguayian player a "cheat".
    he is a cheat and his lack of remorse after was a poor showing, in fact he spoke about himself as being a hero. in rugby it would have been a penalty goal (try) as thats the only fair decision when cheating denys the other team a score. the fair play is slowly but surely seeping out of football i am afraid

  3. #3
    Coach superfrank's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Erotic City
    Posts
    6,945
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    417
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    30
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I think the game you're thinking of is West Germany and Austria in 1982. It's actually number nine on that list.

    I would consider three, four, six, seven and ten a lot more shameful than the other things listed. The others seem to be taking opportunities as they came to them. Maradona doing drugs and scoring the own goal (unless the shameful reference is at the guy who shot Escobar) are hardly shameful.
    Extratime.ie

    Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

    Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

    Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

  4. #4
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,281
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,112
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,515
    Thanked in
    831 Posts
    Number 9 is, in my opinion, by far the most shameful thing on the list.

    9. Best result for both teams: West Germany v Austria, group game - 1982

    Both sides knew before the match that if West Germany won by a goal it would see both sides go through to the next round at the expense of Algeria. Lo and behold after Horst Hrubesch scored an early goal to give West Germany the lead the sides tamely passed the ball around to the anger of the African side.

  5. #5
    Banned Den Perry's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    No 1 for me would be Slaven Bilic's disgraceful antics to get Laurent Blanc sent off in the semi-final in 1998, thus depriving Blanc of his one chance f playing in the final. I lost all respect for Bilic after that.

  6. #6
    Reserves gaiscíoch's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    he is a cheat and his lack of remorse after was a poor showing, in fact he spoke about himself as being a hero. in rugby it would have been a penalty goal (try) as thats the only fair decision when cheating denys the other team a score. the fair play is slowly but surely seeping out of football i am afraid

    Maradonna was a cheat, Henry is a cheat,(gaining a unfair advantage for his team in an incident that went unpunished by the officials) but to say Suarez (gaining a advantage for his team while the incident was punished and he was also punished in accordance with the rules of the game that is a straight red card and a penalty) is a cheat is imo total rubbish.

    He will serve his punishment by missing the Semi Final of the World Cup.
    Gyan had a chance to score the penalty.
    The fact he bottled it has nothing to do with Suarez.
    If he scores the penalty then Uruguay are going home.
    The fact he missed it is his problem and not Suarez.

    Regarding your rugby analogy.
    The simple fact that the difference is a potential 7 points as opposed the normal three for a penalty means they need that rule while in football we only need one goal (hoping the penalty taker doesn't bottle ala Gyan) and the offending team down to ten men.
    I think those rules are fair enough for their respective sports.
    Last edited by gaiscíoch; 05/07/2010 at 8:44 PM.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #7
    Seasoned Pro jbyrne's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    494
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    652
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiscíoch View Post
    Maradonna was a cheat, Henry is a cheat,(gaining a unfair advantage for his team in an incident that went unpunished by the officials) but to say Suarez (gaining a advantage for his team while the incident was punished and he was also punished in accordance with the rules of the game that is a straight red card and a penalty) is a cheat is imo total rubbish.

    He will serve his punishment by missing the Semi Final of the World Cup.
    Gyan had a chance to score the penalty.
    The fact he bottled it has nothing to do with Suarez.
    If he scores the penalty then Uruguay are going home.
    The fact he missed it is his problem and not Suarez.
    so you are only a cheat if you dont get caught? laughable

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #8
    Reserves gaiscíoch's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    so you are only a cheat if you dont get caught? laughable
    The way I see it is it's no different to being the last man back and pulling down the attacking player.
    Or a goalkeeper hauling down an attacker who is clean through on goal.
    Do you call those players cheats?

    As Johnny Giles often says-"It was a good foul."
    Last edited by gaiscíoch; 05/07/2010 at 9:45 PM.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

  11. #9
    Seasoned Pro jbyrne's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    2,992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    494
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    652
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiscíoch View Post
    The way I see it is it's no different to being the last man back and pulling down the attacking player.
    Or a goalkeeper hauling down an attacker who is clean through on goal.
    Do you call those players cheats?

    As Johnny Giles often says-"It was a good foul."
    yes. cheats

    never heard giles say that even once and if he did who cares

  12. #10
    International Prospect
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,232
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,142
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    570
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Schumacher's foul on Battiston wins for me, by about a million kilometres.

  13. #11
    Capped Player Schumi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    A difficult place to get three points
    Posts
    10,742
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    203
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    351
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Number 9 is, in my opinion, by far the most shameful thing on the list.
    I don't agree. If a team is a goal up, that's enough for them to qualify and they play defensively to keep the game scoreless, I don't see anything wrong with that. If a team's 1-0 down and that's enough for them, the same applies IMO. It's bad planning from FIFA to not have the games kicking off together but I don't blame either team for not jeopardising their qualification.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

  14. #12
    Seasoned Pro shakermaker1982's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    4,271
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    144
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    276
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Frank & Voller's spitting fight would make my top 10!

  15. #13
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    D'Shed
    Posts
    1,415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    391
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    428
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Crazy cobbled together piece of rubbish. I shouldn't take any notice, but I'm going to.

    No Klinsmann dive in the 1990 final?!!! No Voller spit? If we're including qualifiers (Henry) and off the field stuff (Escobar) then what about the Soccer War? And indeed what about Jack Warner etc etc? What about Musollini's interference in 38!

    Regarding number 9, didn't Ireland do something similar v Holland in 1990? I'm just amazed that Uruguay and Mexico played it for real this year when a draw would do for both.

    10 is only there because the English made an absolute meal of it. Rattin spent the time trying to get a translator to explain his side of the story!

  16. #14
    Now with extra sauce! Dodge's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Insomnia
    Posts
    23,528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    663
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,674
    Thanked in
    1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Regarding number 9, didn't Ireland do something similar v Holland in 1990?
    They definitely played the last 15 minutes that way (as did Spain v Chile in this year's tourament). I think the difference with Number 9 is that both teams knew going into the game what they needed, as opposed to knowing as the game progressed.

    Agree with your overall sentiment though
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

  17. #15
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,283
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    423
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    324
    Thanked in
    228 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Frank & Voller's spitting fight would make my top 10!
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    No Voller spit?
    I was going to post this incident - Did Voller actually do any spitting though? I thought it was all Rijkaard.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

    "No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

  18. #16
    Banned Den Perry's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiscíoch View Post
    Maradonna was a cheat, Henry is a cheat,(gaining a unfair advantage for his team in an incident that went unpunished by the officials) but to say Suarez (gaining a advantage for his team while the incident was punished and he was also punished in accordance with the rules of the game that is a straight red card and a penalty) is a cheat is imo total rubbish.

    He will serve his punishment by missing the Semi Final of the World Cup.
    Gyan had a chance to score the penalty.
    The fact he bottled it has nothing to do with Suarez.
    If he scores the penalty then Uruguay are going home.
    The fact he missed it is his problem and not Suarez.

    Regarding your rugby analogy.
    The simple fact that the difference is a potential 7 points as opposed the normal three for a penalty means they need that rule while in football we only need one goal (hoping the penalty taker doesn't bottle ala Gyan) and the offending team down to ten men.
    I think those rules are fair enough for their respective sports.
    I agree.If that had been me on the line I'd have handled it. So is Tevez a cheat for being offside for the Argies first goal against Mexico? Or David Villa for slapping the Honduran player in the face and not telling the ref he did this? Same with Henry(though in the heat of the moment I called him a cheat!!). What upset me most about Henry was the way he acted afterwards. Anyway I hate the arrogant clown

    However, If I was a team mate of Suarez and he didn't handle that ball I'd have been very upset with him. People are going too far with this issue of "fair play " now. Ghana had their chance and bottled it.In fact I'm glad they are out. Don't see what the great love-in is with the African teams. Totally biased crowds when their playing, scandalous tackles and play-acting to rival anybody. Suarez was punished accordingly

  19. #17
    Now with extra sauce! Dodge's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Insomnia
    Posts
    23,528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    663
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,674
    Thanked in
    1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Totally biased crowds when their playing
    Crowds should be biased. Nothing wrong with that.


    And no, Voeller didn't do any spitting
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

  20. #18
    Banned Den Perry's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,165
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    13
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Crowds should be biased. Nothing wrong with that.


    And no, Voeller didn't do any spitting
    Nothing wrong with the crowd being biased if its their team that's playing.However, South Africa were gone from the first round. Never heard the crowd at a European World Cup as biased when the home country wasn't playing.....

  21. #19
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    30,186
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,328
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,609
    Thanked in
    1,621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    They definitely played the last 15 minutes that way (as did Spain v Chile in this year's tourament). I think the difference with Number 9 is that both teams knew going into the game what they needed, as opposed to knowing as the game progressed.
    Just as an extension, the result put Algeria out, whereas Egypt were going home anyway I think (two points wouldn't have qualified them as a best third-placed team), so there wasn't the element of screwing a third party over.

  22. #20
    Now with extra sauce! Dodge's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Insomnia
    Posts
    23,528
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    663
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,674
    Thanked in
    1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Nothing wrong with the crowd being biased if its their team that's playing.However, South Africa were gone from the first round. Never heard the crowd at a European World Cup as biased when the home country wasn't playing.....
    So what? You think if it was in Ireland, people would be nuetral at England games or in Holland for Germany games?

    Can't see why you'd be annoyed about this
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shameful band names
    By Pauro 76 in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 30/06/2008, 5:03 AM
  2. GAA Moments
    By Kerry Blue in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21/04/2005, 6:56 PM
  3. Shameful
    By patsh in forum Cork City
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 21/09/2004, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •