Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: World Cup Tournament 2018

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    They'll want to wrap this up quick, before everyone in the stadium drowns.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Excellent final, the best I've ever watched. France the best team over the 90, but I did appreciate Croatia's refusal to sink. Pogba again, very under-stadedly good in midfield.

A very enjoyable tournament for the most part, especially after a tentative and uninspiring first round of fixtures. The knock-outs were tonnes of fun, UEFA teams excelled, I think VAR has silenced some doubters and it was a tournament with plenty of stories, teams playing above their level and some really tense enthralling matches. Modric was my player of the tournament, with Hazard a close second.
    VAR failed when it was most needed. Griezman clearly dived and VAR missed it. Pogba was offside and interfering with play for the opening goal. VAR missed that also. It was as bad as Henry's double hand ball against us. I've also heard quite a few claim that the penalty should never have been awarded and I agree - it was ball to hand rather than hand to ball. VAR saw it differently however, but we have seen a million of those given the other way. For me Croatia were the better team - goalkeeper aside.

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    VAR doesn't apply to free kicks. It can't be said to have failed in that regard.

Agree on the offside. But France were better overall because you can't just ignore the keeper. Also ultimately, how many saves did Lloris make?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    At least we never have to hear the Maroon 5 ad again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Very few to be honest.
    Hey on another note, can you answer me the following question.
    I thought countries with populations of 4 million were not allowed to play an expansive and technical game like Croatia did in this tournament.
    How come they are allowed to play that way and we are not?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    On the controversial incidents, the referee reviewed the hand ball and gave a penalty. That's what VAR is there for. I thought it was hand to ball rather than the other way round. There is a slight downward movement of the hand towards the ball.

On the foul leading up to the goal, whether he was going down or not (and who is to know whether he would have stayed up), there was contact and it looked a foul to me. However, the offside player did interfere with play so the goal should not have stood.

Croatia has some nice approach play, aided by one of the best players in the world of course, but their crossing was terrible and I am not sure how often the French keeper was tested. France pretty much won without getting out of second gear, except for the spell where they scored two in the second half (thought the Croat keeper might have done better for the second of those). France look like one of those teams who can coast but when needs be (e.g. Argentina), can raise their game to the required level.

I'd say a few Russians are off to the Gulags: (a) Pitch invaders, (b) Those who allowed them on the pitch and (c) the umbrella coordinator who was painfully slow to get the umbrella for all the dignitaries (they made sure Putin was first looked after).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Ref was put in a hard position once it was referred imho. I don't think it was a penalty myself but I don't think it was a terrible decision to give it. I saw two refs on Twitter (Dermot Gallagher and Grahaom Poll). DG said no pen, Poll said definite pen. VAR works best on black and white incidents, not subjective judgment calls. I think there were 3 precedents in this WC: Penalty to Australia (?) against Denmark - bad decision. Penalty to Iran against Portugal - bad decision. No penalty against Argentina vs Nigeria - right decision. The penalty yesterday was more of a penalty than the ones which were (wrongly in my opinion) awarded to Iran and Australia.

Let's say that was against us in a big match. We'd all be screaming for handball! I think it's that it was such a full contact with the hand that affected the flight of the ball that made the ref's mind up.

I think the Griezmann free was soft but I think he might have had his lower shin clipped. I need to see a reliable replay again. He was looking for it, but looking to draw a foul is OK by me.

I'm actually very surprised there was no VAR review of Pogba being offside when the resulting free was struck. He was clearly active - he came from behind and challenged Mandzukic for the ball - and Mandzukic wouldn't have felt compelled to get a touch if Pogba wasn't there.

I like the idea of P-Stu's sub rule. I'd like to see the option of an additional 2 minutes being given to the non-offending team's captain if an opponent is booked for time-wasting. It's usually a goalie taking a goal kick too slowly late in a game.

Lessons for Ireland from Croatia? Well, the usual "at least they have a functional FA" argument doesn't hold here. Nor does the facilities argument.

Johann Cruyff once said that a country that doesn't excel at hockey will never excel at football. I see his point. Hockey is about crisp passing and good team movement on and off the ball. Croatia also excels at Basketball and Water Polo. Same logic applies here. In each of these you build back to front and you rarely bypass the middle of the "pitch".

In Ireland our favourite sports involve long balls, for the most part. GAA and rugby crowds don't really tolerate slow, patient play either. I effing hate seeing Conor Murray and his incessant box kicking. It works though and the crowd go mad for the excitement of who'll win the ball in the air. They also cheer a good hoof up the pitch into touch from a dangerous position. I can see exactly why, but this culture is wholly at odds with what a successful football culture entails.

I think we're going the right way - especially if our U17s style of play is anything to go by - but it's a long journey. I think the WC shows though that football still catches the public's imagination and I have a bit of a feeling that the public is now finally realising that a 'sinn fein' culture is required: we must do it by ourselves. Average players are being bought by EPL teams for 30 and 40 million. it's just so far removed from the reality of the game in Ireland. I like to think think that people will see the connection with local support, volunteering, coaching, good practice on the sidelines etc will lead to a continued improvement.

I think the middle ground between schoolboy clubs and the professional game is being filled better domestically and I'm hopeful that projects like Rovers' at Saggart will be fruitful soon. This Bazunu kid, for example, sounds amazing.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 16/07/2018 at 1:22 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314