Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weekend Games: 08th/09th/10th June

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    My post was part tongue in cheek & part serious & the suggestion is certainly not naive.
    Being be both sincere and insincere at the same time is quite something.

Hoban has 18, the next best Dundalk players after that is Duffy with 8 & Benson with 7.
    If Hoban was to get injured Dundalk would find it difficult to win with leading scorers in single figures.
    All the other Dundalk players you mentioned are on 1 goal each with McGrath on two.
    Any games where Dundalk have dropped points are games in which Hoban hasn't scored.
    So I'm asking if Dundalk are in danger of becoming a one man team ?
    Pat Hoban is in fantastic form and is the leagues leading scorer by a distance, but does the fact that there are so many goals coming from all over this team not register with you at all?

His team mates have notched up 36 other league goals between them; only 1 shy of the total scored by all Derry players (37), 2 short of Waterfords total (38) and significantly better than any other team bar Cork.

Apart from phenomenal goal-scoring right across the team, this team also has probably the most in-form creative player in Michael Duffy along with the best defense in terms of goals conceded and most clean sheets.

It's very far from a one-man team but if rumours are to be believed, it does look like the second highest goal across the leagues is about to join in July to offer more options up front

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Much needed win for Derry in Dalymount there.
    We'd a bit of a change in tactics, with much less playing out from the back and tighter marking in the centre. It wasn't as pretty, but it worked. We even defended well from corners too, unheard of from ourselves recently.

It was the worst Bohs performance I've seen this season though. Really quiet in the first half, barely came into in the second until they got their goal. Poor stuff.

I think we hold some curse of Bohs at this stage now. That's ten wins in a row in Dalymount, and ten wins out of ten under Shiels. Some stats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Being be both sincere and insincere at the same time is quite something.

Pat Hoban is in fantastic form and is the leagues leading scorer by a distance, but does the fact that there are so many goals coming from all over this team not register with you at all?

His team mates have notched up 36 other league goals between them; only 1 shy of the total scored by all Derry players (37), 2 short of Waterfords total (38) and significantly better than any other team bar Cork.

Apart from phenomenal goal-scoring right across the team, this team also has probably the most in-form creative player in Michael Duffy along with the best defense in terms of goals conceded and most clean sheets.

It's very far from a one-man team but if rumours are to be believed, it does look like the second highest goal across the leagues is about to join in July to offer more options up front
    Sorry if asking a question seems to have upset you in some way ?
    Since you're into facts here's another little one for you.
    Of all Hoban's goals only two have come against teams higher that 5th in the table & half his goals have come against the two bottom teams in the Div.
    I'm sure that you already knew the above but neglected to mention it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Sorry if asking a question seems to have upset you in some way ?
    Since you're into facts here's another little one for you.
    Of all Hoban's goals only two have come against teams higher that 5th in the table & half his goals have come against the two bottom teams in the Div.
    I'm sure that you already knew the above but neglected to mention it
    I'm not at all upset by your question, I simply replied to it with my opinion, supported by some relevant facts about his team mates.

I'm confused about how you view Hoban. Are you now suggesting that he is a one-man show or a scorer of irrelevant goals against poor teams?
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 11/06/2018 at 8:57 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I think Hoban is a very good striker, but is he a superstar no I don't think so.
    His record in England proves as much but he is made look like a very good striker because he is playing upfront for the best team in the League and by definition has more chances and sees more of the ball.
    Put Dan Car, Christy Fagen, Rory Pattison or any of the number 9's upfront for Dundalk and they will do well.
    I'm not having a go at him id happily have him at Rovers but I wouldn't rate him as highly as Sean Maguire for instance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm not having a go at him id happily have him at Rovers but I wouldn't rate him as highly as Sean Maguire for instance
    You may well be right but another hatrick this weekend would move him ahead of Seanie's phenomenal goal scoring record of last season.

He is also on track to surpass Richie Towells record of 25 league goals
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 11/06/2018 at 9:03 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Seani had a few less games played, but no question Hobans current return is fantastic. Duffys excellent form is playing its part too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Seani had a few less games played
    I could stand corrected, but I think that the number of appearances are similar.

Journalist James Rogers adds this interesting comparison

James Rogers@jamesdundalkPat Hoban 2018 - 18 goals in 1,718 minutes
    Sean Maguire 2017 - 20 goals in 1,809 minutes

1:54 PM - 8 Jun 2018
    https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/sta...91235320066048

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Wathing the highlights of the Sligo Cork game, if they can keep putting in persormances like that and find a real goal scorer in in July they will climb the table. A cup run is possible too. Cork were typically efficient with 2 goals taken from defensive lapses. It is the hope that teams put it up to Cork and Dundalk rather than a sense of turning up with little belief and going through the motions. Having said that the sort of form Dundalk are hitting few teams could keep with them. Cork just know how to get results. They didnt play well in Sligo and and will be delighted to have gotten the 3 points knowing they are unlkikely to be so poor again. I do feel that Cork are more likely to drop unexpected points though it does take patience for Dundalk to break down teams packing the defence. While we are scoring for fun at times we have been sloppy at times with not taking good chances especially went a side is set up to spoil - we have been lucky with some late goals and Rogers pulling off good late saves to see 3 points. As has been said many times before this season will be a tight finish. Whomever responds best over the European period, or even which teams goes out earliest could be key to domestic winnings. The head to head yet to come are going to be tastey and fiesty affairs and probably where a league will most likely be won or lost. The extra goal difference could well come in to play. I presume that GD is what would divide teams level rather than head to head results?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    You’ve to take into the consideration age for Maguire and Hoban. Maguire was like 21-23, with Cork. Hoban is now 26 and soon to be 27. Don’t think you can really compare both, as both players were at different stages of there career, every chance Hoban may get one last crack at the wip. Factor in injuries added with a lack of a proper run in the team and was probably low confidence too. All possible contributed for Hobans lack of success in his last stint in the UK. On another note, it’s great players with the ability of Hoban consider the league a real option and give it a proper go if it doesn’t work out in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I could stand corrected, but I think that the number of appearances are similar.

Journalist James Rogers adds this interesting comparison

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/sta...91235320066048
    Seani was 21 in 20 games. I think Hoban was at about 14 after 20?

Hard to compare though, different league this season. No question Hoban will beat Seani too scorer 20 this season, and god have to back him to beat Towells too, bar injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I'm not at all upset by your question, I simply replied to it with my opinion, supported by some relevant facts about his team mates.

I'm confused about how you view Hoban. Are you now suggesting that he is a one-man show or a scorer of irrelevant goals against poor teams?
    I think Hoban is an excellent striker who is having an outstanding season.
    As regards his scoring, I just pointed out the facts, nothing more.
    The question I & many others would ask is what would happen in he got injured or was to miss a series of games ?
    Would Tagbajumi be able to step in ?
    Perhaps Murray might come in although he's not really an out & out centre forward ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I think Hoban is an excellent striker who is having an outstanding season.
    As regards his scoring, I just pointed out the facts, nothing more.
    The question I & many others would ask is what would happen in he got injured or was to miss a series of games ?
    Perhaps Murray might come in although he's not really an out & out centre forward ?
    There is little doubt that losing Hoban to injury etc would be a significant blow, and none of his potential replacements - Marco Tagbajumi, Sam Byrne or Ronan Murray - are convincing on current form.

Signing another striker is likely to be a priority for Stephen Kenny. It may be that an agreement has been reached about Georgie Kelly

Seani was 21 in 20 games. I think Hoban was at about 14 after 20?
    Extratime.ie credit Sean Maguire with 20 league goals in 2017. Pat Hoban currently has 18 goals in 21 appearances. He is already well ahead if you strip out penalties and I expect him to surpass Maguire's total shortly. Maybe, injury permitting, against Cork in Oriel at the end of this month

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Marco is nowhere near the level of Patrick Hoban. He has, for whatever reason, become somewhat of a cult hero in Dundalk. He's basically the Nigerian Mansaram.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    There is little doubt that losing Hoban to injury etc would be a significant blow, and none of his potential replacements - Marco Tagbajumi, Sam Byrne or Ronan Murray - are convincing on current form.

Signing another striker is likely to be a priority for Stephen Kenny. It may be that an agreement has been reached about Georgie Kelly

Extratime.ie credit Sean Maguire with 20 league goals in 2017. Pat Hoban currently has 18 goals in 21 appearances. He is already well ahead if you strip out penalties and I expect him to surpass Maguire's total shortly. Maybe, injury permitting, against Cork in Oriel at the end of this month
    You're right, it was 20 in 21 games. After 21 games Hoban had 15 I think?

Youve been listening to too much Stephen Kenny. Only 3 of Seanis goals were penalties, so no, Hoban isn't ahead by any metric, despite his excellent form.

I'm sure he will surpass Seanis total soon though. I'd wager it'll be after our game though. If I were putting money on it, I'd say early July.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    You're right, it was 20 in 21 games. After 21 games Hoban had 15 I think?
    Hoban notched goal no 18 last week in Dundalk's 22nd league game, although he has not played every match. See previous post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Hoban notched goal no 18 last week in Dundalk's 22nd league game, although he has not played every match. See previous post.
    Ah right didn't realise he'd missed a game. I think Seani played every game last year, til he left. So yeah, just the 2 goals difference then, in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    According to these guys, its currently 18 goals in 20 games

Patrick Hoban | His Form So Far | Potential Future Call Up | & Europe On The Horizon

Irish Football Fan TV
    Published on 11 Jun 2018
    12:44 min You Tube interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=WufD32FMeb8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Much needed win for Derry in Dalymount there.
    We'd a bit of a change in tactics, with much less playing out from the back and tighter marking in the centre. It wasn't as pretty, but it worked. We even defended well from corners too, unheard of from ourselves recently.

It was the worst Bohs performance I've seen this season though. Really quiet in the first half, barely came into in the second until they got their goal. Poor stuff.

I think we hold some curse of Bohs at this stage now. That's ten wins in a row in Dalymount, and ten wins out of ten under Shiels. Some stats.
    Yep, we are starting a petition to send you lot back to the Irish league shockingly bad performance from Bohs, especially first half, probably the worst we have played all season. a LOT of time wasting from Derry, at one stage they were taking turns to go down, but they were deserved winners in a poor game.

Ridiculous record against Derry, going back years as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123