Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Saudi Takeover of Galway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Im not sure but i find it hard to believe that after what all the Galway fans have been through over the years and finally getting a supporters owned club. The first opportunity that comes they give up their club to to a possible snake oil salesman.
    Do the members of GUSSET get a payday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The Co-op will still be in place in the club with a 25% share, with that open to an increase.
    And the Saudis have the other 75% then I take it? And will make all the calls if that’s the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    That is the initial investment to get GUFC back into the Premier League. A "substantial seven figure sum" has been rumoured locally to be in place to go for european places there after.
    The Saudi's and their pot's O'Gold. So it's Galway Utd V Man Utd in the Champions league??
    I seem to remember a certain club from Dublin City with the same daft ambitions. Good luck lads.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer View Post
    I seem to remember a certain club from Dublin City with the same daft ambitions. Good luck lads.
    Yeah, Shels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Galway Utd is a bag of jerseys in a car boot. I don't blame them for rolling the dice.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Galway is in the mist of a GAA revival of sorts, with the hurlers getting gates of over 30,000 for a match recently against Kilkenny. Also the Gaelic Footballers coming good with the batch of young players and are tripling there gates from 2 years ago.
    18,775 at that match.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...um-845383.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    It’s the attitude that appears to be floating around of “sure we’ll give it a go with this lot and if it all goes belly up we’ll just reform again” that I have the issue with

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Galway Utd is a bag of jerseys in a car boot. I don't blame them for rolling the dice.
    No LOI club matched that description more than Shams in the post Miltown era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    It’s the attitude that appears to be floating around of “sure we’ll give it a go with this lot and if it all goes belly up we’ll just reform again” that I have the issue with
    We're in the bottom half of the First Division and have nothing but the player contracts to the name of the club, it's not like there is a lot to lose.

I'd have much preferred to continue going as a fan owned club but unfortunately unlike Sligo, Cork or Bohs there just doesn't seem to have been they buy-in from fans to that idea and our current situation is pretty much unsustainable anyway, being bank-rolled by the Comer Group for much of it.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    You seem awfully concerned about Galway United's well being. It's heart warming to see!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    I'd agree with that, in fact that line "bag of jerseys in a car boot" to describe the club is a direct quote from how Rovers were described.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    You seem awfully concerned about Galway United's well being. It's heart warming to see!
    You’ll find a lot of sligs commenting on us for some reason. They’re all experts on Galway football and love to lord over us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Pretty wojus draw for Rovers if we manage to beat AIK we then play Nordsjaelland in the next round (assuming they beat Cliftonville).
    So many other better possibilities than that but I suppose we at least dodged the bullet of having to go to Belarus...
    Do Derry need to consider getting the curse removed from the club when it comes to euro draws?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    But just look how far they have come since that......

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Clubs are more than the assets they own. They are history, goodwill, community and above all they are people who share a common passion. All of these could be damaged if the Saudi's screw things up. What if they decide some area of Dublin is a better market and move the whole thing? Unlikely perhaps, but an investment is designed to maximise return, not to make locals happy.

If GUFC was to end up going under again, the return would be even harder next time. Possible, but difficult.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    If GUFC was to end up going under again, the return would be even harder next time. Possible, but difficult.
    Especially as the trust voluntarily handed over control. It will be difficult to get donations from the locals, or from other LOI fans if they get into trouble this time. I totally understand why they have done this, but I wonder if they have thought about the long term problems starting over again could have for them.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Very disappointing decision by the co-op members, especially given the recent history of the club. Galway United is relatively well supported by Irish standards, has very little debt, is only three points off the play offs in Division One and is based in a wealthy city with a large local population and plenty of visitors.

It seems that people were persuaded by the option of short-term success and also the view (not mine) that the club could always re-start from scratch. A sad day for football in Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    That’s one side of the argument, the other is that the club is doing nothing but treading water, and has been for decades. If this was a local investor launching a takeover, would there be as much negativity? The co-op has a membership of 107 people. That’s not enough to sustain a successful club. Just because it is well supported by Irish standards - I would have said average at best myself compared to the other 10 clubs - doesn’t mean the club should reject an offer that could make it a better supported club.
    We may be just three points off the playoff positions, but anyone who knows anything about football would recognise that is a falsely positive claim, we are playing rubbish football and won’t get through the playoffs the way we are playing.
    To me, people were persuaded about the possibilities, the chance of improving the club, the chance to finally develop facilities, not by short term success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    107 active members is pretty good really. Finn Harps could only dream of having that many active shareholders.

Yearly membership of €180 for an adult?

Wouldn't mind being able to start every season off with €15,000+ in the bank..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    But just look how far they have come since that......
    Not like you to comment on something about Rovers.

Its true the clubs gone nowhere good since then only got the best ground in the league, a dedicated training ground thats only bettered by UCD, probably the best youth setup in the country, been the first Irish team to qualify for European group stages, become fan owned, had a player capped and score for Ireland while at the club, shocking really, place has gone to the dogs.

25. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast