Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crisis at Limerick - unpaid wages and players free to leave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Regards the query about fan ownership, there is a trust, that I am a member of myself, and while there have been some positive moves this year regards getting communication going between different groups invested in the club, it, like the club, has always struggled to get subscribers. I don't know if it is in a position to do anything for/with the club.
    Nothing like a crisis to galvanise support. A public recruitment drive about now might be a good idea.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quite right. I'm just pessimistic based on our inability to get people interested in the past.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Must have been kind of a deja-vu for Clarke. Wasn't he part of the Sporting Fingal squad when they folded?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Who's the left back and centre backs for Limerick? And are they any good?
    I might know a man who's looking for someone in those positions...

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Who's the left back and centre backs for Limerick? And are they any good?
    I might know a man who's looking for someone in those positions...
    worth approximately 3-400,000 each I would say.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    There seems to be some contradictory reports about the situation.

Among other claims, the Paul O'Hehir Irish Mirror article linked in the opening post says this

The entire Limerick FC squad is free to leave the crisis club after wages went unpaid, Mirror Sport can reveal.
    Club officials broke the disappointing news to players immediately after last night’s 1-1 draw with Bohemians at Markets Field.

The frustrated players have not been paid since the end of April and there are no funds to pay their May wages.
    Once a player goes four weeks without pay, they become a free agent under FIFA rules.
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/exc...e-max-12636424

While Alan O'Brien, of the TacticsTruck website, says the follow in a series of Twitter posts

Having spent the day contacting a variety of #LimerickFC stakeholders here's what I know so far:It is not the club's position that players are "free to leave", nor are they yet legally free to do so -- contrary to an article published by The42 earlier.

May wages have already been lodged for some players, with the rest due to follow before the end of next week.Another meeting is planned for Monday, during which voluntary wage cuts -- and mutual terminations for some of the 7 or 8 higher earners -- will be discussed.

Without the Galtee Fuels income stream, the "budget" will now finally be cut. The largesse Pat maintained at the start of 2018 -- contrary to the repeated assertions of the Irish Mirror and others -- can no longer continue.Reality has, belatedly, set in.

Late wages, common throughout 2015, are nothing new at #LimerickFC, which has long been run by O'Sullivan on an ad-hoc financial footing.Not one player went public with those delays back then, for what it's worth.

Finally, Pat O'Sullivan's well-being is the elephant in the room here.It's common knowledge that his family have been urging him to retire for some time now.There is a good reason for that.Anyone still snarking at his behaviour, knowing this, is absolutely disgusting.

https://twitter.com/alanob2112

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I used to have a lot of time for Alan, but he's consistently reported the club line for a while now, and seems intent on instigating online scraps with journalists/reporters (Andrew Cuneen and Paul O'Hehir are the targets this time). The penultimate paragraph above, which I assume is a slightly veiled swipe at Brendan Clarke, strikes me as a pointless whinge from a man who has complained about just such behavior from others.

And the last paragraph, I don't know what POS' health is like, but I know screaming from the stands for more effort from players who haven't been paid in months isn't far off "absolutely disgusting".

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Ah AOB, as I’ve said before he’s the Lisa Simpson of Irish football. The answer to the question nobody asked. The man is a walking contradiction of himself and how the club allow him through the gates every second week is beyond me. Rovers did the right thing banning him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    We just cannot get the crowds in the door consistently. I've lost count of the "great sporting city" op-eds puzzled as to why people won't turn up for Limerick FC when we appeared to be doing everything right, with the promotion and the return to Market's Field and being competitve in the top tier. But ultimately the bandwagon culture among the Irish sport-watching public was alive and well. When we strung a few results together, they showed up. When wer didn't, they vanished. And when they vanished, the club leadership would throw fits at the loudest fans left.

As an example, no matter how dreadful the senior hurling team have been at times over the years, the great sporting city will still send thousands to see them stay in 1B for years and take early exits from the Championship, and when they take a good turn, like they are doing this year, they'll flood stadiums. 35'000 to see them draw with Cork tonight (obviously I don't know how many of them were Limerick fans, but it stands to reason a significant proportion). GAA is just set-up to be more exceptional in perceptive terms. Limerick FC would need to be on a Dundalk level to be getting 3 or 4k, and we'd still struggle with the perceived drudgery of Irish club football, like all clubs do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    As an example, no matter how dreadful the senior hurling team have been at times over the years, the great sporting city will still send thousands to see them stay in 1B for years and take early exits from the Championship, and when they take a good turn, like they are doing this year, they'll flood stadiums. 35'000 to see them draw with Cork tonight (obviously I don't know how many of them were Limerick fans, but it stands to reason a significant proportion). GAA is just set-up to be more exceptional in perceptive terms. Limerick FC would need to be on a Dundalk level to be getting 3 or 4k, and we'd still struggle with the perceived drudgery of Irish club football, like all clubs do.
    There were a lot of Limerick fans in Cork today. Very noticeable whenever they scored a point.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Half time break was coming to an end when our PA guy announced he had a quick quiz. He had just got 2 corporate tickets to Ire v Usa from someone who could not go. The question (from our ex supporters club head man) was name the only LOI player in the current Ireland squad. Guy runs up and wins after giving the Graham Burke answer. Q massive boos from the Bohs end as Shane Supple runs out smiling. That's the type of football brains we have involved in our club...

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treaty Gooner View Post
    Ah AOB, as I’ve said before he’s the Lisa Simpson of Irish football. The answer to the question nobody asked. The man is a walking contradiction of himself and how the club allow him through the gates every second week is beyond me. Rovers did the right thing banning him.
    There's a couple of great lines in your post, but it still does not address the fact that he is challenging what the Mirror and other publications have been saying. It seems from his most recent tweets and the Joanne Cantwell interview with Brendan Clarke on Saturday Sport (about 1:13 on the link below) that the all players are not "free to leave" but that negotiations with players aimed at reducing the budget are set to take place which could result in some agreed mutual terminations.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radio...14_02-06-2018_

Should have been stronger on this: @BrenClarke1 was wrong to go public on FridayAnd thanks to RTÉ's excellent Joanne Cantwell, I now think he knows that.JC: 'But did they say you were all "free to leave"?'BC: 'That's what I took from it, [but] that wasn't what was meant.'
    https://twitter.com/alanob2112/statu...15809362190336

https://twitter.com/alanob2112/statu...15809362190336

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Maybe you’re right, I’m not taking this incident in isolation though, there’s been years of this from him in Limerick at every level. A self appointed guru who picks fights in phoneboxes, who has insulted many established and respected people, media personnel and otherwise to make some kind of name for himself. He claims he provides a service for people who want to look deeper into every game and demands respect for doing it. But doesn’t offer any to those offering their own coverage, in fact he does the opposite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    So big al is dancing on the head of some imaginary pin to win some imaginary internet argument he's having.

"So I'm free to leave?"

"No, absolutely not. Where did you get that idea? We merely want to negotiate to reduce the budget the results of which could be mutual termination."

"I'm not willing to negotiate on my wages"

"Well then I suppose it's mutual termination."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I will say that a lot of people think he’s a wind up artist, came from nowhere, nobody knew who he was, watched games on tv and reports on them like he was there etc and if it’s true then bravo, I fell for it and it’s been hilarious that I and so many others got wound up by it and I mean that.

If it’s not true then he’s just a tragic figure trying to be noticed by being condescending on Twitter. I just fear the next stop is an I Don’t Like Monday’s style breakdown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I think if it comes down to a difference of "Players are free to leave" and "We will soon negotiate mutually agreeable terminations", then getting worked up about the difference while the club figuratively burns to the ground is a little silly. Brendan Clarke "going public" hardly strikes me as a terrible action given the circumstances (and when he said he was going to play in the next game regardless, the only player to have said so!).

And as others have stated, this isn't in isolation. Hell, even with this story, Alan seems more intent on provoking a personal argument with his choice of words, rather than correct the record.

This is a ridiculous little side show though. I'm more interested in knowing if Limerick will be able to field a team for their next game. If the players aren't being paid, then there's no guarantee that they'll make themselves available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I think if it comes down to a difference of "Players are free to leave" and "We will soon negotiate mutually agreeable terminations", then getting worked up about the difference while the club figuratively burns to the ground is a little silly. Brendan Clarke "going public" hardly strikes me as a terrible action given the circumstances (and when he said he was going to play in the next game regardless, the only player to have said so!).

And as others have stated, this isn't in isolation. Hell, even with this story, Alan seems more intent on provoking a personal argument with his choice of words, rather than correct the record.

This is a ridiculous little side show though. I'm more interested in knowing if Limerick will be able to field a team for their next game. If the players aren't being paid, then there's no guarantee that they'll make themselves available.
    Players should absolutely not make themselves available unless they have been paid being honest. Why risk an injury that could kill any move you may get in the window.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Can the U-19s be called up en masse?

Edit: I mean, in terms of squad registration, etc.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Players should absolutely not make themselves available unless they have been paid being honest. Why risk an injury that could kill any move you may get in the window.
    Agree with this.

It's one thing to go ahead with a game when you're only told about wages a couple of hours before the game is supposed to start. It's another to make that decision a week later.

I haven't heard any news on whether the players have all been paid or not, and what was the outcome of yesterday's meeting which aimed to reach deals on either reduced terms or mutually agreed termination of contracts.

I am also not sure just how long they went unpaid, and if they are simply entitled to walk away as a result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I believe they are missing the wages for April and May.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast