International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    "The scoreline is not a true reflection of the game"

https://soundcloud.com/shamrock-rove...interview-1618
    At about 1:20 the interviewer asks Stephen Bradley "do you think Dundalk were over physical tonight?"

Are even the Rovers media people taking the pi$$ out of the unfortunate manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Populist statements that Ward makes on Twitter about us are there for a reason!!(RT's and likes)
    Ward is a bit of a****** in my eyes.Some Dundalk fans like to hear everything positive said about the club - he knows that,he knows his audience.
    Lots of ITK Dundalk fans pass no remarks of him.
    We know full well that overcoming Cork will be a huge challenge.
    As far as budgets go? Stop guessing.Because Nobody knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I'm sure, but your biggest fan Johnny Ward (I know he says hes a Galway fan but...) has used those exact words, and we have Rovers fans in this thread suggesting its a miracle we're in it, and that Dundalk will win it by 8 or 9 points. Probably based off a single game against us in which we were admittedly very poor.
    We have a perfect home record, 9 wins from 9, conceding just one goal. We have conceded only 12 goals all season, 3 of them in that one crazy game against Rovers. We might not play the prettiest football but there is no right way to play. Teams like Pats pass the ball around a lot and it might look nice but we are very good at letting them have the ball in safe areas. We keep a lot of clean sheets and fans are often confused as to how they didn't get a result when they had so much ball, not realising that we have done exactly what we set out to do yet again. Our style is highly effective and has been for over 4 seasons now since John Caulfield came in.
    Tonight was his 152nd league game as manager, hes lost just 22 games, less than 15%, and hes won 101, 66.45%. Thats an insane winning ratio over such a long period of time and hes unfortunate to come up against such a good Dundalk side or he would have more than 1 league title and two FAI Cups to show for himself.

Rovers meanwhile have a comparable budget with both City and Dundalk and set out to compete for the title (they talk a lot at the start of each season about finishing ahead of City and then change their ambition when its clear they are a mess of a club). Since Bradley took the job he has been in charge for 71 games and hes lost 26. Hes won only 31. (43.66%).
    I probably shouldn't care so much about the opinions of others but its ridiculous to have our record under Caulfield not recognised for what it is.
    Why are Cork fans and Cork people in general so desperate for acknowledgement and acceptance from others?? Cork are a good, effective side, champions, cup holders, the club of pure virtue in League of Ireland. Who cares what anyone else thinks!? Rovers/Pats/Bohs fans singing 'We hate Dundalk' was music to the ears when it made a return in recent seasons. European performances tend to grab the interest more in general in this country than domestic titles. Put together a good European run and you will likely get the accolades you crave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Must have been another cup final. I saw the challenge by Lopes - straight red and the boy is lucky.

I know we've not been consistent at all this season, but Galway are no addition. Their keeper is simply horrific, and I had to laugh at him giving away another indirect free kick after that ****show against Cabinteely.
    https://www.facebook.com/ltfc.ie/vid...7428971681970/
    Great ping here to open the scoring tonight from local lad Aodh Dervin. Great little player.
    Sporting F*ck All!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I don't think you've even seen our squad. We have a lot of options, and we've been making a lot of changes all season long, with the exception of McNulty and Cummins.
    Curious to know why Aaron Barry, marque signing, and Karl Sheppard are not getting picked, i think I read the former made too many mistakes early season, but still a decent player? However it’s the latter, Sheppard I’m more surprised with given the almost mass celebratory actions when he decided to sign back.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Harps won ,Athlone are terrible not much else to add,Monday will be a different game......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Curious to know why Aaron Barry, marque signing, and Karl Sheppard are not getting picked, i think I read the former made too many mistakes early season, but still a decent player? However it’s the latter, Sheppard I’m more surprised with given the almost mass celebratory actions when he decided to sign back.
    I'd have Shep in the team, especially in games where we need width he changed the game tonight. JC likes Barry McNamee but also likes Sadlier and Buckley and is trying to figure out how to get them all into the team. As things stand hes been playing McNamee wide right where he is not at his best. Thats before you think about Stephen Beattie who came in and played number 10 tonight.

Aaron Barry didn't have a great start to the season and lost his place to the two young centre halves McLoughlin and McCarthy and is probably fourth choice right now with Benno coming back into the side in recent weeks

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Why are Cork fans and Cork people in general so desperate for acknowledgement and acceptance from others?? Cork are a good, effective side, champions, cup holders, the club of pure virtue in League of Ireland. Who cares what anyone else thinks!? Rovers/Pats/Bohs fans singing 'We hate Dundalk' was music to the ears when it made a return in recent seasons. European performances tend to grab the interest more in general in this country than domestic titles. Put together a good European run and you will likely get the accolades you crave.
    I think if people talked about how much they hated us we'd be fine. But we get fobbed off as just another side and that is infuriating!
    When we did put together a decent Euro run those *****s from Louth (your lot!) went and over shadowed us ever so slightly!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    How Lopes wasn't sent off for that assault on McGrath is just beyond beyond!Ref Connolly obv knew this match was on TV and he wasn't going to ruin it for the 'punters' sitting on their arses at home Fcuking shocking reffing!!
    https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1002630414756823041

Dundalk showed up for the 2nd half and in some style.

The Carr & Finn injuries for Rovers defo threw Dundalk some relief but Lopes should have been gone by the time of the injuries anyway.
    Brian Kerr was so busy hating Shamrock Rovers that he refers to Bohs discipline issues

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think most people in the stadium felt once Hoban scored that the result was only going one way. We really needed to get a second on the board to force Dundalk to open up but we really lacked a cutting edge without Burke or Carr.

Surprised by the banners. We've played far worse than that loads of times and there's been only applause from the stands. Stinks of "we made this banner so we're ****ed if we don't get to use it."

Dundalk are the best team in the league by a decent stretch I think, but we all know that doesn't guarantee anything. I can't imagine they'll have it as easy as they did in that ten-minute spell when they scored three though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I think if people talked about how much they hated us we'd be fine. But we get fobbed off as just another side and that is infuriating!
    When we did put together a decent Euro run those *****s from Louth (your lot!) went and over shadowed us ever so slightly!
    For what its worth and was said above, Cork have never been fobbed off in Dundalk. There is a respect as much as rivalry even if through gritted teeth. It isnt the media approval that you're looking for but from your closest rival its something. The reason Dundalk are seemingly annointed club in some eyes over Cork does have something to do with playing style. Few would have believed that an Irish club could compete in Europe playing it out from the back on the deck - not even the best Irish international footballers do it. That belief got us to EL groups and favour has snowballed. Even when in London for the game in Turners Cross we went in to a bar in London city centre to watch the game and the TV that the game was on said 'Showing Dundalk'!!

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitd View Post
    Galway so poor tonight even with an extra man couldn’t break down battling Longford defense Keegan under pressure now got us relegated last season with a decent squad and with the biggest budget by far this season is failing badly again 😡😡
    Don’t want to be rude but Galway have been brutal in the three games I’ve seen them. Tonight was the worst, they were appalling. A back three consisting of a disgracefully overweight Williams and Walsh who couldn’t get a game for a ****e town team last season. None of Galway’s back 3 were comfortable on the ball and invited so much pressure on themselves. Only for the red and a disgraceful set of officials town would’ve won by 4 or 5 tonight. Keegan is in bother

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The reason Dundalk are seemingly annointed club in some eyes over Cork does have something to do with playing style.
    Well I don't really think it's just that. We hammered Cork 3-0 in Tallaght and Dundalk put five past us. Dundalk won 4-1 at the Brandywell and Cork struggled to a 0-0. Dundalk slaughtered Pats and Cork have just edged past them. Waterford beat Dundalk but, guess what, they beat Cork too. Even Limerick have done well in all their games against Cork and Dundalk beat them 8-0. Obviously everyone outside the top two is a level below, but we're all looking at our games and saying Dundalk are clearly the better side. If it wasn't for Cork's clear commitment to never committing fouls, it might be closer, but you have to commend Dundalk on their cynicism.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 02/06/2018 at 4:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    While those are valid points about those games, the game are a bit cherry picked and there's a recency bias there. There's a reason we'll be top of the league if we win Monday with the same games played.

I'd agree dundalk will likely finish with a much higher goal difference, I doubt it will come into play but it could. I also have no issue with people thinking dundalk are the better of the two teams, rovers in particular given the relative performances.

What I think is ridiculous is the claims that Dundalk will win the league by 8-10 points. Come Monday, we could be a point clear with 21 games played. There are only 15 games less. Assuming dundalk keep winning as they have been, it assumes we'll for some reason drop our performances significantly. I don't think that is justified, regardless of how good dundalk are.

We're actually just starting to hit our stride, and performances are improving, rather than the opposite.

Now, who knows what will happen with Europe, and the league games around it. We have a habit of not doing great in those. But I think there's no chance in hell a Caulfield team drops off to the level as to lose 11 extra points relative to Dundalk in 15 games.

On the point of why does it bother us, I don't think there's a team in the lead that wouldn't be annoyed if they were a point of top at this stage and continuosly told they were going to lose the league comfortably, despite a 100% home record!
    Last edited by micls; 02/06/2018 at 6:41 AM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Good result tonight Drogs 2-0 Cab.

Galway slipping.

Big game for us on Monday away to Shels
    And next Friday, away to UCD.

If ye can take 6 points away to first and third in a week, ye'll go 4 points clear and will have to be favourites. A draw against Shels and it's starting to look more and more like a two-horse race for the title with others' lack of consistency an issue really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Dundalk coughed up a lot of chances last night , that would be a concern from thier point of view.

I love it when people write us off. Please keep doing it.

There was a swagger about is for the last 20 mins last night that I haven't seen since the bygone days of Seani Maguire. This could be best title race of the lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Must have been another cup final. I saw the challenge by Lopes - straight red and the boy is lucky.

I know we've not been consistent at all this season, but Galway are no addition. Their keeper is simply horrific, and I had to laugh at him giving away another indirect free kick after that ****show against Cabinteely.
    https://www.facebook.com/ltfc.ie/vid...7428971681970/
    Great ping here to open the scoring tonight from local lad Aodh Dervin. Great little player.
    Different keeper. Tadgh Ryan was injured last night.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Dundalk coughed up a lot of chances last night , that would be a concern from thier point of view.

I love it when people write us off. Please keep doing it.

There was a swagger about is for the last 20 mins last night that I haven't seen since the bygone days of Seani Maguire. This could be best title race of the lot.
    Obviously the head to head games are key and we have been second best mostly to Cork recently. Cork are clear favourites!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Obviously the head to head games are key and we have been second best mostly to Cork recently. Cork are clear favourites!!
    Nice try

I don't think there's much doubt Dundalk are favourites, and I'd agree that for us winning it this year would be a bigger achievement than last, especially considering we've never retained the league, but you're right, the head to heads will be key. As will the response to games around Europe.

Big first game back after the break in Oriel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast