Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixtures 18th-22nd

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    TBF to Shiels, it may not have been a penalty. We didn't have the best of views, but few Pat's fan we were talking to reckoned it wasn't. Will see on Monday sure.

On the match, the first half was certainly entertaining, both teams fairly evenly matched. Very disappointing to concede from a corner for the second game in a row, poor stuff.
    After the third goal for Pat's, which was followed fairly soon after HT with their fourth, the game was over. Our players just gave up. I know it's a young squad, but it's not good enough. We really do need some some experience in our squad though. It's too young a team.
    Blame also lies with the management. Yes, we attempt to 'play the game in the right way', but there's a time and a place for it. Sometimes we need to just grind out an ugly win/draw. We were ridiculously open last night, as we've been in other games this season. Hence, we will concede multiple goals, where playing a tighter game would at least see us lose by just the one.

I thought Pat's were good. Not brilliant, but solid. They'll certainly challenge for Europe, but the league is Dundalk's to lose.

I know it's an issue for all sides, but we're knackered. We're now heading into our fourth week in a row of Monday/Friday games. Our squad isn't big enough to keep up the performances required.

Another frustrating night all round. And just to top it all off, I was shat on by a seagull outside the ground. It was a miserable journey home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

Another frustrating night all round. And just to top it all off, I was shat on by a seagull outside the ground. It was a miserable journey home.
    Feckin Bray fans!!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Football is becoming a non contact sport a la basketball. Refs need to realise it's not a foul because someone falls over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    How far can you carry self-delusion?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p067lmwf
    So Kenny is saying 'we need to look at ourselves' but then spends the entire interview talking about referees, Dundalk, dodgy peno and Pats getting momentum, Cork even....as per usual Kenny. He is great fun to listen to!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Would you not comment on Corks game instead of throwing a silly comment?
    So I am not allowed comment on matches that don't involve City? Interesting that dalk fans had plenty to day on the Waterford v City scrap in the RSC and dalk fans are constantly obsessed by all things Stephen Bradley. Your hypocrisy is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    First comment in the trend not about their own teams big win but another team, odd that as Cork fans would tell ya there’s no rivalry or derby.

On another note, another red card 6 in 18 games now I think, which is a disgrace.
    Just pointing out the daft commentary coming from Waterford fans after the scrap in the RSC. "None of it would have happened if it wasn't for Caulfield blah blah blah....".

City fans were pointing towards your own teams discipline which is clearly an issue as you admit yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Half way through the season, and Shamrock Rovers are already 17 points behind Dundalk.

However, they are only 7 points off the relegation play off places.

Given the quality players in their squad, that is crazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Half way through the season, and Shamrock Rovers are already 17 points behind Dundalk.

However, they are only 7 points off the relegation play off places.

Given the quality players in their squad, that is crazy.
    Yeah but fun

I think Bradley is being saved at the moment by the fact that Rovers have gone though so many managers in the last few years. Other than that I think he'd be gone. Dunno what to think about Tuesdays game, we should be going there full of confidence with our recent run, but Rovers have shown than they can raise their game against the better teams. As against Cork.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Yeah but fun

I think Bradley is being saved at the moment by the fact that Rovers have gone though so many managers in the last few years. Other than that I think he'd be gone. Dunno what to think about Tuesdays game, we should be going there full of confidence with our recent run, but Rovers have shown than they can raise their game against the better teams. As against Cork.
    The Tuesday night meeting of Rovers and St Pats should be interesting - I'll go along to have a look (it would probably be the better craic to mix with the Rovers fans)

It's comical to reflect back on the pre-season arrogance of some Rovers fans being totally dismissive of St Pats ability to challenge them for a European place.

If Rovers do not qualify for the Europa League, it would be hard to see how Bradley can survive, but if their most recent form is not reversed soon, it could be that a relegation battle is their reality. Since Shamrock Rovers won 1-0 at home to Sligo at the end of March and up to the 0-0 draw away to Sligo last night, they have played 9 times, winning once and gathering only 7 points in that time. There is also a home defeat to Longford in the EA Sports Cup for good measure.

Rovers have some big matches coming up - after Pats, its Bohs and then Dundalk. Is the manager at risk of being sacked before the June break?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    So Kenny is saying 'we need to look at ourselves' but then spends the entire interview talking about referees, Dundalk, dodgy peno and Pats getting momentum, Cork even....as per usual Kenny. He is great fun to listen to!
    Gerard Doherty had issues with the ref too, but puts the blame on the players in fairly colourful language.

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/f...oss-1-8504517/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Gerard Doherty had issues with the ref too, but puts the blame on the players in fairly colourful language.

https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/f...oss-1-8504517/

It seems to me that he is saying that talk about referees or about players who may be leaving is unhelpful and that players may be distracted by as a result.

Captain Gerard Doherty is adamant that off field distractions and refereeing decisions cannot be used as a excuse for Derry City’s recent poor form. With on-going speculation surrounding Ronan Curtis’ expected departure to Portsmouth and talk of refereeing performances surfacing almost every week, Doherty made an impassioned plea to keep the focus firmly on the field of play.

“It doesn’t affect me. I try to come in to do my job, to be professional, prepare for the game and go out and try to do it. You’d have to ask the other 18 players in the squad that question because it’s an individual thing,” he insisted.
    Read more at: https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/f...loss-1-8504517

Will Kenny Shiels drop him know for calling him out on his interviews?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Ended 2-1 Galway in Cabinteely. Galway were better, but Cabo missed so many chances.
    Brilliant goal for Cabo. Galway keeper with the ball at his feet, coaxing the Cabo striker to come in. Keeper picks it up late, and the striker slips and feet go into the keeper. Very little contact. Keeper drops the ball to check his foot, and then picks it up again. Ref blows, keeper gives the ball to the striker who puts it down, passes it across the six yard box for a tap in. Hilarious, but very amateur by the keeper who had a great game otherwise.

And here is video: https://streamable.com/18ume
    Last edited by L.T.F.C.; 20/05/2018 at 11:06 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I think Bradley is being saved at the moment by the fact that Rovers have gone though so many managers in the last few years. Other than that I think he'd be gone.
    Think you're right there alright. At the same time, he wouldn't have got the job in the first place if we hadn't failed with the previous approach. So he knew and everyone knew getting the job he'd have to be stuck with through thick and thin (mostly thin).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    That was one of the most enjoyable results in a long time for a number of reasons. First of all because of Ger dohertys time wasting antics after about twenty minutes, pathetci carry on from him. Also to see Lowe lose. He is an absolute sh1111tebag. The biggest enjoyment was seeing the battle in this Pats side , mixed with some serious talent, its exciting again.
    Derry tried to play ball, McEniff is a serious player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desaintsno.12 View Post
    First of all because of Ger dohertys time wasting antics after about twenty minutes,
    Are you sure?

Based on all his ramblings, surely Kenny Shiels wouldn't stand that sort of behaviour

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Ended 2-1 Galway in Cabinteely. Galway were better, but Cabo missed so many chances.
    Brilliant goal for Cabo. Galway keeper with the ball at his feet, coaxing the Cabo striker to come in. Keeper picks it up late, and the striker slips and feet go into the keeper. Very little contact. Keeper drops the ball to check his foot, and then picks it up again. Ref blows, keeper gives the ball to the striker who puts it down, passes it across the six yard box for a tap in. Hilarious, but very amateur by the keeper who had a great game otherwise.

Berserk stuff - thanks for posting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Are you sure?

Based on all his ramblings, surely Kenny Shiels wouldn't stand that sort of behaviour
    Gerard Doherty isn't deliberately time-wasting, believe it or not. He's always takes an eternity with his kick outs. We could be a goal down with two minutes left and he'll still takes ages to get the ball back into player. He can be an infuriating man at times!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    TBF to Shiels, it may not have been a penalty. We didn't have the best of views, but few Pat's fan we were talking to reckoned it wasn't. Will see on Monday sure.

On the match, the first half was certainly entertaining, both teams fairly evenly matched. Very disappointing to concede from a corner for the second game in a row, poor stuff.
    After the third goal for Pat's, which was followed fairly soon after HT with their fourth, the game was over. Our players just gave up. I know it's a young squad, but it's not good enough. We really do need some some experience in our squad though. It's too young a team.
    Blame also lies with the management. Yes, we attempt to 'play the game in the right way', but there's a time and a place for it. Sometimes we need to just grind out an ugly win/draw. We were ridiculously open last night, as we've been in other games this season. Hence, we will concede multiple goals, where playing a tighter game would at least see us lose by just the one.

I thought Pat's were good. Not brilliant, but solid. They'll certainly challenge for Europe, but the league is Dundalk's to lose.

I know it's an issue for all sides, but we're knackered. We're now heading into our fourth week in a row of Monday/Friday games. Our squad isn't big enough to keep up the performances required.

I couldn't believe how quick the Derry heads dropped, you could see that they had totally given up. Derry and Pats are really similar IMO, 2 nice teams to watch and on our day we can stick a good few past some teams but both teams are just a bit soft.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    How was there not a red card in Sligo tonight, 10 yellows in total and 7 to Rovers. Was it that dirty a match or was the ref having a laugh. How many cards in one game gets a club fined?
    Wasn't a dirty game but Dan Carr should have been sent off at the end for a terrible challenge on John Mahon. Tomney bottled it and booked three players after the subsequent melee instead. Carr was already booked too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post

great video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I couldn't believe how quick the Derry heads dropped, you could see that they had totally given up. Derry and Pats are really similar IMO, 2 nice teams to watch and on our day we can stick a good few past some teams but both teams are just a bit soft.
    It was really noticeable, wasn't it? Maybe it's an age thing.

Agreed on the other points too.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast