Page 37 of 69 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Great commentary. The "away terrace" look well when it is full.
    Thats not the full "terrace" they blocked off the standing area behind the seats and put extra hoarding at the back too to block out the state of whats behind it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Thats not the full "terrace" they blocked off the standing area behind the seats and put extra hoarding at the back too to block out the state of whats behind it
    Makes no difference what was blocked or not.(and i dont know if your story is true or not)
    Yous wouldn't fill it anyway!
    Last time there was a decent crowd from yous down here was when we beat you in 2010? Tipton hatrick night

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    I was at the game Thursday. Duffy’s goal one of the best I’ve ever witnessed live, I was right in line with where he hit it. But what Thursday proved is how badly they need a new ground. The amount of rows in the shed over people not been able to see. Literally all it takes is one tall fecker to sit in front of you and you can’t see a thing. The seats are basically a foot of the ground, so uncomfortable. It’s not an experience that would bring people back outside of the big European games. So much potential in Oriel Between a bigger stand the far side and knocking the YDC to build a stand the shed side. Space behind each goals for two small sheds. It would be an absolute cauldron of noise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I was at the game Thursday. Duffy’s goal one of the best I’ve ever witnessed live, I was right in line with where he hit it. But what Thursday proved is how badly they need a new ground. The amount of rows in the shed over people not been able to see. Literally all it takes is one tall fecker to sit in front of you and you can’t see a thing. The seats are basically a foot of the ground, so uncomfortable. It’s not an experience that would bring people back outside of the big European games. So much potential in Oriel Between a bigger stand the far side and knocking the YDC to build a stand the shed side. Space behind each goals for two small sheds. It would be an absolute cauldron of noise
    I'm 20 years watching the League of Ireland, and I'm really struggling to think of much better than THAT, whether it the League or Europe. I remember Tony Sheridan's goal in the 96 cup final, goals like that, but none of them come close to Duffy's one. On Oriel Park, as long as Kenny stays there, and they continue to be somewhat successful, with the backing of the Americans, ideally one would like to think that place will be fully revamped in the next 5 or so seasons. Nervous for them against Larnaca, but why can't they win it? That'd be Kenny's approach, I'm sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I doubt you will find a single person who will disagree with you on this.

The new owners haven't put a foot wrong so far, and I'm eager to hear the outcome of their discussion about upgrading the playing facilities. An upgrade is badly needed and the current set up detracts from the quality on the pitch.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The new owners haven't put a foot wrong so far, and I'm eager to hear the outcome of their discussion about upgrading the playing facilities. An upgrade is badly needed and the current set up detracts from the quality on the pitch.
    My attitude to the takeover was deeply cautious and concerned and I remain highly sceptical (and probable overly cynical) - but my faith and confidence in the new owners has progressively risen over the last 6 months.

They have connected and integrated with supporters and volunteers really well, have been up-front and straight-talking at all times, and to my amazement have shown a real passion, understanding and connection with what a local football club is about (or else are incredible actors and bluffers).

It is and remains an investment; the extent of what happens regarding stadium up-grading will take time to emerge and is likely to have a return on investment element to it.

I am far more optimistic than every before that this forms a part of their aspirations and plans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    This stuff must be really soul destroying for club volunteers and infuriating for most of its supporters.

Club receive UEFA sanction
    Cork City FC this morning received a fine from UEFA for the use of smoke bombs at the Champions League home qualifying fixture on 10th July at Turner’s Cross. This fine is €3,000 and the largest fine the club has ever received. Upon receiving the UEFA report shortly after the game, detailing the use of 6 smoke bombs, the club appealed for leniency to UEFA based on several factors, including our excellent track record. We are certain that this kept the fine to a minimum.

While this recent fixture was an historic night for the club, with success and praise for the operations and security of the game, this is a huge disappointment for the club.
    More at:
    https://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2018/...uefa-sanction/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Every club has its selfish idiots, and Cork's good track record appears to have reduced the fine substantially.

It still must gall their hard working volunteers that the club has to pay for idiotic behaviour from a few "fans". A concern is that it will lead to heavy handed security. There have been quite a few complaints from Cork fans about overly officious match day security and this type of incident could make it worse.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Dundalk V Larnaca is sold out, two hours after tickets went on general sale.

The club need to increase the seating capacity of the ground. Large areas behind both goals will be empty for this match. The only positive for people who can't get tickets is that Eir Sport have confirmed that they will televise the match.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/ael-larnaca-ticket-details/

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Obviously awful for those who didn't get tickets, but a match that sells out quickly can create a great buzz and be an encouragement to buy season tickets etc. We had a fair few people buy half season tickets or Foras memberships because it gave them priority in buying. tickets for the Legia game. Hopefully those disappointed come to the next league game instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Surprised Dundalk didn't look to a temporary stand for European matches this year. I'm sure the Americans would have had no problem stumping up the money to pay for it for a month or so.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    The Levadia Talinn game was only barely a sell out. It was the day of the game before all tickets were sold.

I think it is time the club started thinking about putting in permanent additional seating. The grass area behind the town end would be perfect. An uncovered stand similar to the ones Sligo and Pats have.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Makes no difference what was blocked or not.(and i dont know if your story is true or not)
    Yous wouldn't fill it anyway!
    Last time there was a decent crowd from yous down here was when we beat you in 2010? Tipton hatrick night
    Not like there's pictures of it or anything.
    Not like we bring by far the biggest crowd to oriel every time we play there despite the growing boycott of the tip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Not like there's pictures of it or anything.
    Not like we bring by far the biggest crowd to oriel every time we play there despite the growing boycott of the tip.
    Boycotts will keep growing as Rovers as consistently fail to challenge effectively.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Boycott will keep growing from the likes of Rovers & Cork whilst the Dundalk hierarchy consistently fail to challenge effectively the matter of upgrading the ground to something even approacably habitable. After all, the approach of using all available money to buy squad players at the expense of ground improvement is bound to be a success...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Dundalks group for the EL 3rd Qualifying round draw, which takes place around 2pm Irish time today on uefa.com:

Group 1:

1 Ajax (NED) v Sturm Graz (AUT)
    2 Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) v Radnicki Niš (SRB)
    3 HNK Rijeka (CRO)
    4 Aberdeen (SCO) v Burnley (ENG)
    5 Zenit (RUS)

6 Tobol Kostanay (KAZ) v Pyunik (ARM)
    7 Dunajská Streda (SVK) v Dinamo Minsk (BLR)
    8 St. Gallen (SUI) v Sarpsborg (NOR)
    9 Dundalk (IRL) v AEK Larnaca(CYP)
    10 İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)

Looks like the toughest group we could have gotten, probably hoping for HNK or Maccabi/Radnicki
    Last edited by ArFella; 23/07/2018 at 9:45 AM.
    Mon the Town!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Dundalks group for the EL 3rd Qualifying round draw, which takes place around 2pm Irish time today on uefa.com:

Group 1:

1 Ajax (NED) v Sturm Graz (AUT)
    2 Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) v Radnicki Niš (SRB)
    3 HNK Rijeka (CRO)
    4 Aberdeen (SCO) v Burnley (ENG)
    5 Zenit (RUS)

6 Tobol Kostanay (KAZ) v Pyunik (ARM)
    7 Dunajská Streda (SVK) v Dinamo Minsk (BLR)
    8 St. Gallen (SUI) v Sarpsborg (NOR)
    9 Dundalk (IRL) v AEK Larnaca(CYP)
    10 İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)

Looks like the toughest group we could have gotten, probably hoping for HNK or Maccabi/Radnicki
    The difference between the Champions Path and League Path at this stage is stark, though both sides got the more difficult groups there are some potentially easier draws available for City.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Who can Cork get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Celtic or rosenburg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Tough draw for Cork.

Cork City (IRL) v Celtic (SCO)/Rosenborg (NOR)

Assuming Celtic get through Cork will play the 2 teams who knocked us out of the CL in the last 2 years and we play the 2 teams Cork had last season in the EL!
    Last edited by ArFella; 23/07/2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Mon the Town!

Page 37 of 69 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast