Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 69 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    Coleraine had a right go at Spartak Subbuteo tonight.
    Gave them the flick in the end.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    In short - if we can develop the confidence, quality or whatever that's needed to become like the lucky/jammy sides we often face when it comes to European football, then results could really improve rapidly.
    It's a confidence thing in my opinion, at many levels.

Coaches need to have confidence in their teams' ability to play proactively and not set up overly defensively. Rovers at home vs AIK was a perfect example. They had 2 DMs in Tallaght which was unnecessary.
    On a player level, they need to have confidence in their own abilities and really feel like they belong and can compete at that level. Derry and Rovers played very well when they were behind/drawing, yet we v rarely see an Irish team (either at club or national level) playing well while they're ahead in a game. It's a running joke that the worst thing that can happen the national team is that they get a goal early in a game. Because we all know what will happen, they'll **** themselves! They'll retreat into their shell and keep going deeper and deeper until the opposition equalises or even takes a lead, at which time they might try to start playing again.

Maybe the average Irish footballer doesn't believe he's as good as his european counterpart, and so he only feels truly comfortable to play his natural game when he's behind, because that's where he thinks he belongs.

In recent years Dundalk have been the only Irish team that can consistently break free from that mindset. My guess is that it's mainly to do with Kenny fostering, who convinces his players that they can compete and win at the european level, regardless of other teams finances/reputations etc.

Last night was again really enjoyable to see them play their natural game and go 2-0 and 3-0 up in the tie and then manage the game. Admittedly they conceded one but they never looked in any danger of letting Levadia back into the tie. Some Levadia players resorted to just hacking Dundalk for the last 10 mins. it was the kind of savvy performance we usually see from european opposition against LOI sides.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Gave them the flick in the end.
    Aye it would have been a different story if my cousin Kevin had've been on.

Round up here. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44845298

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    A lot seems to be made on here about the difference in mindset between dundalk and the rest of the LOI european contenders. Dundalk were playing a poor unseeded team. The rest were playing decent seeded teams.
    Let's see how dundalk get on against larnaca before we anoint them with any holy oil, yeah?

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    A lot seems to be made on here about the difference in mindset between dundalk and the rest of the LOI european contenders. Dundalk were playing a poor unseeded team. The rest were playing decent seeded teams.
    Let's see how dundalk get on against larnaca before we anoint them with any holy oil, yeah?
    That opinion is mainly based on Dundalk's performances in europe of the last few years, not their result against Levadia last night.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It's less about one or two results or performances, than a general mindset and how they usually approach and play in games. Dundalk will do what Cork couldn't do over 2 legs - they will score.

Its a bit of a catch 22 with the mindset, especially when first game at home, they don't want the tie over after 50 or 60 mins, so they approach it from an overly cautious aspect. AIK figured Rovers out at home after the first 50 minutes and then imposed their game, which Rovers should have done too, but they left it till the 2nd leg. Again had a chance gone in early doors first game it could have been a completely different tie. But a shift in mindset and how they approach these games is definitely needed.

AIKs european record is decent, and they are top of the league as has been pointed out, I suspect Hammarby will pinch it at the end, or more I hope, but the overall result is deflating given Rovers should have come out the other side. BUt you can only say should so many times, nothing is deserved.

The teams in the champions Path, at the moment at least should hold no fear for Cork, but that could all change pretty quickly. Cork haven't scored in 360 mins of European football now though, it has to be a big concern.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleagu...round=2000988/

Group 2 (seeded teams in bold)

Match 6: Astana (KAZ) v Midtjylland (DEN)
    Match 7: Kukës (ALB) v Qarabağ (AZE)
    Match 8: Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) v Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR)
    Match 9: Crvena zvezda (SRB) v Sūduva (LTU)
    Match 10: Celtic (SCO) v Rosenborg (NOR)
    Winners match 6: The New Saints (WAL) v Lincoln Red Imps (GIB)
    Winners match 7: Torpedo Kutaisi (GEO) v Víkingur (FRO)
    Winners match 8: Spartaks Jūrmala (LVA) v La Fiorita (SMR)
    Winners match 9: APOEL (CYP) v Flora Tallinn (EST)
    Cork City (IRL)

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Probably got the worse group of the 2 there, Kukes or Suduva (assuming they lose) probably the preferred draw? Probably have a chance to go through as long as Celtic/Rosenborg are avoided!
    Mon the Town!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Was that not already done when we qualified for the EL group stages and actually competed in the group hence showing previous group stage qualifiers what they could have done if they had a bit of bottle?

I agree that we were favourites to go through v Tallinn and we made slightly hard work of it in the end but I'd argue that they were one of the more difficult unseeded teams we could have faced just like Larnaca will be in QR2

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Losers of matches 6&10 look to be the ones youd want to avoid, rest look like they could be for the taking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    what struck me watching the Rovers match (and having seen them a few times in league play this season) was how the team in general seemed more comfortable at a higher level of play than in the week-to-week LOI drudgery. Perhaps a contrast with Cork City in this regard. While I don't particularly hold a candle for Bradzer, I suspect a lot of it had to do with the type of players he has been bringing through and the style of play he has been encouraging, which has clearly cost them in terms of league position.

I've seen Finn, A. Bolger and Watts (for Bohs) turn in completely anonymous displays in league matches, but they all looked right at home in Sweden. And as a team, Dundalk ripped them to shreds a few weeks ago, but AIK barely laid a glove on them until the youngster Olsson came on.

And Jesus i know it's early days but Bazunu really looks the part

Complete nonsense that they don't get the co-efficient credit for a 90-minute win, by the way. Means they'd have been better off losing the first leg 0-5 and then scruffing a 1-0 against AIK's reserves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Did think it strange
    Such a shame greene missed the free header to win it. Was sure it was in. Delighted with the performance but we are still out either way ....gutted
    Terrific display by shams last night, defended very well and bossed the tempo throughout. The sole shortcoming was that they missed a few decent chances and AIK took probably the only clear chance they got. Disappointing for them to go out but excellent mature performance from the team and maybe just a regret they didn't at least maintain parity at home. Certainly couldn't fault the away leg.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Probably got the worse group of the 2 there, Kukes or Suduva (assuming they lose) probably the preferred draw? Probably have a chance to go through as long as Celtic/Rosenborg are avoided!
    Assuming Rosenborg lose, they are the one's I want. Suduva's recent record suggest they are a very, very good side. The results have been so impressive, there's absolutely no guarantee that Red Star go through against them. Roseborg's result against Valur seemed uninspiring, only advancing with a last minute penalty. And they looked mediocre against Dundalk last season. Plus, we've generally done well against the Scandinavians. I think it's going to be tough no matter who we face though. We haven't had much luck with that this season.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 20/07/2018 at 3:52 PM.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Even as a Bohs fan,I was rooting for Rovers on twitter.This League cannot be let die,when our clubs can compete with such clubs as Swedens best.Maybe we should take a leaf from the "amateur" GAA counties,when they work with the likes of Justin Mc Nultys company,working on the mental side of sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    Even as a Bohs fan,I was rooting for Rovers on twitter.This League cannot be let die,when our clubs can compete with such clubs as Swedens best.Maybe we should take a leaf from the "amateur" GAA counties,when they work with the likes of Justin Mc Nultys company,working on the mental side of sport.
    Well, I always found many in GAA to be mental. Most in LOI are just mad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    I've seen Finn, A. Bolger and Watts (for Bohs) turn in completely anonymous displays in league matches
    That must have been one of the few matches where Watts didn't perform for Bohs. In all the Bohs matches I've seen this year he was outstanding!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dundalk goals from last night with a bit of exuberant commentary from the Dundalk FM commentary team

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Great commentary. The "away terrace" look well when it is full.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Great commentary. The "away terrace" look well when it is full.
    80 year old former DFC player,captain and manager John Murphy losing his sh*t over the goals is just brilliant,still massively enthusiastic and its great.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Pure passion from mr. Murphy brilliant.

Page 36 of 69 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast