Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    very disappointing crowd 4 k max.
    2,817 in Tallaght. Very poor really for a European tie.

Only about 1,500 in Derry judging by reports too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    413 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    2,817 in Tallaght. Very poor really for a European tie.

Only about 1,500 in Derry judging by reports too.
    Apparently 1,400 in Derry - so stadium only approx. 40% full. Probably the worst European crowd they've had at Brandywell.

The club got their prices badly wrong, but still don't seem to acknowledge it.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Thought we did quite well against a much richer team and didn't look out of place. Good sides punish mistakes and we had a collective failure for their goal, but otherwise we were comfortable. We didn't create much outside Watts and, when he came on, Greene though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Lads, sorry but I'm sick listening to some stuff here - Dundalk are a way better side than Cork playing in Europe and do you want to know cause Caulfield mouthing out about we are underdog this and that as instead going at teams! Kenny set up his team better and gives his players belief to go at teams! Cork will make 3rd round of Europa and Dundalk might not (cause of the luck of the draw) but Dundalk will def have more coefficient points!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I agree that the point scoring comparisons get tedious (yeah I know I'm guilty too), although the point about Kenny and instilling belief in his players is very pertinent.

I know from first hand experience that SK had his players believing totally that they could match / beat Zenit and Alkmaar or Rosenborg and others even in the away legs. This belief does not guaranteed a win but it gives the players the confidence to try.

It is a special gift

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Lads, sorry but I'm sick listening to some stuff here - Dundalk are a way better side than Cork playing in Europe and do you want to know cause Caulfield mouthing out about we are underdog this and that as instead going at teams! Kenny set up his team better and gives his players belief to go at teams! Cork will make 3rd round of Europa and Dundalk might not (cause of the luck of the draw) but Dundalk will def have more coefficient points!
    They won't this year unless they make it past the third round. Club Coefficient is based on which round you reach (and any wins and draws from the group stages on). They might add more to the league total (by virtue of playing more games and playing a weaker side in the first round) but they won't add more club coefficient. Of course they already have much higher coefficient than we do.

You also realise that Cork City beat Dundalks opponents last year home and away right? Dundalk haven't achieved anything special this year in Europe yet. They may well go on to do so but lets not go over the top in congratulating them for beating an unseeded side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Can I please appeal for no praise or recognition for Dundalk performances in Europe.

The poor snowflakes who support Cork can't take it.

Lets create a "safe place" for them where nice things are said about Cork and Dundalk are not mentioned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The poor snowflakes who support Cork can't take it.
    Lilywhites calling people snowflakes! Ha!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    They won't this year unless they make it past the third round. Club Coefficient is based on which round you reach (and any wins and draws from the group stages on). They might add more to the league total (by virtue of playing more games and playing a weaker side in the first round) but they won't add more club coefficient. Of course they already have much higher coefficient than we do.

You also realise that Cork City beat Dundalks opponents last year home and away right? Dundalk haven't achieved anything special this year in Europe yet. They may well go on to do so but lets not go over the top in congratulating them for beating an unseeded side.
    You realise Tallinn are not the same team as last year. 2 clubs have merged into one and its basically a new squad.

Of course you didnt!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I agree that the point scoring comparisons get tedious (yeah I know I'm guilty too), although the point about Kenny and instilling belief in his players is very pertinent.

I know from first hand experience that SK had his players believing totally that they could match / beat Zenit and Alkmaar or Rosenborg and others even in the away legs. This belief does not guaranteed a win but it gives the players the confidence to try.

It is a special gift
    SK is a great manager - but you can't win the amount that City have and had some good results in Europe without similar self belief - I'm not sure that is a stick you can beat JC with. He has a different attitude in public - always talking up the opposition, (resources - don't talk to me about resources) but privately he must be saying something different.

I really hope Dundalk do the business against Larnaca in the next round - it will be interesting to see if the style of Dundalk's play gives them a better chance - I suspect that it will. We lost that tie last year at home with a poor performance Imo rather than anything tactically, if Dundalk have a proper go at them they must have a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    You realise Tallinn are not the same team as last year. 2 clubs have merged into one and its basically a new squad.

Of course you didnt!
    Levadia were unbeaten and flying at the top of the league last year when they played City. This year they have lost twice and are 3rd in the league. Not sure how you can say they have improved in the year without having a forensic knowledge of the Meistriliiga.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    655 Posts
    Are you trying to tell me that John Caulfield doesn't finish every pre match chat by saying
    "Lads all that stuff I said about this lot being great is true, do your best to keep the score down yis haven't a hope out there"
    Is there not a rule that managers have to say the same thing in the dressing room as they do publically?
    Is that not basically cheating?

Its amazing how Cork managed to win the double last year playing for a guy who is such a shockingly bad motivator.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Levadia were unbeaten and flying at the top of the league last year when they played City. This year they have lost twice and are 3rd in the league. Not sure how you can say they have improved in the year without having a forensic knowledge of the Meistriliiga.
    Apologies Cork are a much better team than Dundalk!

League table does not agree with you but of course you are right!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Dundalk and Cork are both excellent teams, the stand out teams in our League. it is however ridiculous to compare them based on European matches against different teams (albeit the same club) over different seasons. Personally I hope both get far but not because it will 'prove' which is better but because it is good for our League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Not sure what that has got to do with what I posted but anyway. The narrative seems to be struck that this Levadia /FCI team are superior to last seasons team but there is no evidence to support that. I reckon its a much of a muchness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post

Cork will probably get beat over in Poland (hope they get something) so they reached 3rd round of Europa League and add nothing to the Ireland coefficient this by doing so .... Dundalk already have 0.25 to the coefficient this year and hopefully more. At the end of this year, Ireland loses 2 full points! Derry and Rovers will get nothing this year so it up to the two big teams to get it up to at least 1 this year ....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    As is common for many LOI teams in Europe, Rovers just lacked a bit of guile last night. Watching it in Tallaght, i felt like i had seen this match umpteen times before between LOI teams vs european opposition.
    For the 1st 30 mins AIK just sat in their own half to suss Rovers out. Rovers had all the ball in that period but couldn't once create a chance with any quick passing combinations in the centre. Their only plan was to give it wide, hope the wide man gets to the byline and crosses it and maybe we'll get a break.
    Gradually AIK came out of their shell and their goal was a demonstration of the type of move that Rovers were unable to create - some clever movement and a couple of quick incisive passes sliced right through the Rovers defence.
    For the whole game, AIKs keeper only had to save shots from outside the box.
    In fairness though, this is generally what happens when you play a team from a higher level. Like Cork on Tue night, rovers were by no means embarrassed and with only 1 goal between the teams they still have a chance chance in the away leg, albeit a small one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Found the Derry chairmans criticism of fans not turning up yesterday hilarious it seems that some think that clubs can go what they want and they fans should follow like sheep and when they don't they are accused of being disloyal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    655 Posts
    That's probably a little harsh but fair enough summary.
    Watts was unlucky to have a shot deflected over from about 6 yards for a corner early in the half that would have made a huge difference.
    I fancy us to score in Stockholm as they won't be able to sit back in banks of 4 at home but id also fancy them to score as well.
    Sam Bone was poor , I would play Bolger minor from the start instead of him in Swedan.
    Bazunu's performance was excellent , his distribution is very good , couldn't fault him for the goal....will be a lot busier in Swedan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Cork will probably get beat over in Poland (hope they get something) so they reached 3rd round of Europa League and add nothing to the Ireland coefficient this by doing so .... Dundalk already have 0.25 to the coefficient this year and hopefully more. At the end of this year, Ireland loses 2 full points! Derry and Rovers will get nothing this year so it up to the two big teams to get it up to at least 1 this year ....
    No Ireland loses .25 for the 2019 Rankings

2018 Final rankings

2018 ranking.PNG

Current 2019 Rankings

2019 Rankings.PNG

So with Dundalk's win last night any other result will increase our Total Co-efficient. Remains to be seen if our ranking improves.

Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast