Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1370

Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    They are not my words. Ask the dundalk fans who made these claims.

I quoted them to point out an arrogance among their support. They are the ones with the hyperbole.
    You are tarring all Dundalk fans with the comments of two - or is it just one? - fan on the internet. That's your doing, and goes beyond the "not my words" excuse.

God knows what I could tar you with if I took a random Cork person on twitter or the ccfc forum as representative of all Cork fans.

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Was doing rail and sail so havent had a chance to reply. You meet some quirky individuals on that, guessing many LOI supporters.

Interesting points about O'Donnell, he stood out in that 2016 run as someone who could get on the ball, hold on to it, and pick the simple pass. But Shields did that just as well in the home game against Larnaca. So is it a bit of revisionism? Or a bit of both.

Reading the independent article, a couple of words stood out, one such was tardy. The players looked leggy early on, no one was tracking back, i doubt the dimensions had that much to do with it, so larnaca were finding loads of space, but they were also finding that space in the first game , but this time they did something about it. I also remember seeing on the first water-break shileds putting a towel around his head like he was fcuked already. i know by that stage they were already 1 down but still it all seemed to have affected them very quickly. Either way still no excuse for getting hammered 4 0.

One thing mentioned with cork and dundalk and even rovers the last few games was the chances that were not taken, McMillan would have taken a couple of those chances and I think that's another key difference here between the two sides(2016/2018 not cork v ddalk) - hobans not at that level. There was an awful lot of inaction and two-minds thinking from Dundalk over the two legs.

Gannon couldnt have been a full 90 mins match fit though if hed been out, its easy to say kenny should have played him from the start but if he had and wasnt match fit, the opposite would be said. he definitely improved them 2nd half. Cleary isn't good enough, positional sense is poor and doesnt have the speed. Missing Vemmelund? I think definitely.

Interesting that people think kenny is now in trouble
    given the owners and players brought in. How much of that money used would not have actually come from 2016? How much have the americans invested ?
    The only ones who think that are either
    A Stupid
    B Trools

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    The only ones who think that are either
    A Stupid
    B Trools
    I don't think Kenny is in trouble at all. But, I do think he has a point that if he didn't win the league this year, it wouldn't be unimaginable that the new owners would want to look around. They're involved for Europe, they've made that clear. Not progressing in Europe and not getting Champions league will not be a happy ending to their first season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    They are not my words. Ask the dundalk fans who made these claims.

I quoted them to point out an arrogance among their support. They are the ones with the hyperbole. The fawning of them on here and in the media probably exacerbates it but it's there.
    You quoted one person. But go ahead and generalise anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    As a neutral in all this, are you really accusing a Derry fan of thinking they're purveyors of total football and the man city of LOI.?

Seriously?

WTF like?

(Even if you thought you were replying to a Dundalk fan, it's still daft hyperbole.)
    What nonsense are you on about? Arrogant because I (and every other person in Cork) call the club City? It is this way to distinguish between sporting codes.

What is really arrogant is when you consider your club purveyors of total football and the man city of LOI.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You are tarring all Dundalk fans with the comments of two - or is it just one? - fan on the internet. That's your doing, and goes beyond the "not my words" excuse.

God knows what I could tar you with if I took a random Cork person on twitter or the ccfc forum as representative of all Cork fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    You quoted one person. But go ahead and generalise anyway.
    Whatever about louth but I would have expected a better reading ability from a ucd graduate Pineapple. Where have I said ALL dundalk fans???

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Ah stop. You started by talking about "dalk" fans in general. It was a generalisation.

Anyways, now I've gotten dragged into this. My apologies, non-Dundalk/Cork fans

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Termonfeckin is solid Drogs territory.You must mean Hackballs Cross?
    Is Hackballs Cross a footballing euphemism - a bit like a Hospital Pass ?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    You're being silly now and I'm done with this argument. Go back and read my posts.

Back on topic: Here's hoping for a positive (Cork) City result against ("a clearly weaker than last year") Rosenberg next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Dundalk fans (and I know there's a least one other club who have been to Rosenborg) any tips for Trondheim? We have the Friday free and I always try and get one big activity in so my trip isn't relying on the football. It doesn't look like a Fjord tour is possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Cue Dundalk fans telling you to go to Hell, Norway

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Termonfeckin is solid Drogs territory.You must mean Hackballs Cross?
    Big test now for Kenny. Dundalk still good enough to win the title and the associated Euro pay out jackpot if he doesn't panic , still far and away the best of a mediocre lot.
    It strikes me that the common factor in the LoI 's greatest performances in Europe in the last ten years is Stephen O'Donnell ,and he was badly missed last night.The fact that we haven't seen a centre mid with that calmness, on the ball skill, ability to dictate the pace of the game and tough enough to scare European opposition, since him, says all you need to know on what direction the league has gone...And to think Fenlon let him go in his prime!!
    O'Donnell wasn't exactly a key player when Rovers made the group stages, despite scoring the famous penalty in Belgrade (as a sub). He's become an absolutely key player in Dundalk's success since though, and he's been one of the players who's raised the standard to aspire to.

And it was Croly who let O'Donnell leave (or he just wanted to leave, dunno which).
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 04/08/2018 at 2:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Rosenborg - Cork City in the tougher pot in the draw for the playoff round on Monday.
    Should City progress we will play the losers of the bolded pairs or the winners of the non bolded. The number in brackets is the coefficient rank of the expected team to progress, i.e. the losers of the bolded ties and winners of the non bolded ones.

POT 1 - CHAMPIONS P.

Salzburg (AUT) - Shkëndija (MKD) ( 5 )
    FK Crvena zvezda (SRB) / FC Spartak Trna ( 6 )
    Astana (KAZ) - Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) ( 2 )

Legia (POL) - Dudelange (LUX) ( 3 )
    Alashkert (ARM) - CFR Cluj (ROU) ( 9 )
    Olimpija Ljubljana (SVN) - HJK (FIN) ( 7 )
    Cork (IRL) - Rosenborg (NOR) ( 6 )
    H. Beer-Sheva (ISR) - APOEL (CYP) ( 2 )

POT 2 - CHAMPIONS P.

Malmö (SWE) - Vidi (HUN) ( 4 )
    Celtic (SCO) - AEK (GRE) ( 3 )
    Qarabag (AZE) - BATE (BLR) ( 1 )

Ludogorets (BUL) - Zrinjski (BIH) ( 1 )
    Sheriff (MDA) - Valur (ISL) ( 4 )
    Spartaks Jurmala (LVA) - Suduva (LTU) ( 10 )
    TNS (WAL) - Midtjylland (then) ( 5 )
    Torpedo Kutaisi (GEO) - Kukës (ALB) ( 8 )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Dundalk fans (and I know there's a least one other club who have been to Rosenborg) any tips for Trondheim? We have the Friday free and I always try and get one big activity in so my trip isn't relying on the football. It doesn't look like a Fjord tour is possible.
    Trondheim is a lovely town, I too had a free day after our game last year and spent it galavanting around the place. There are some beautiful restaurants beside the canal. If, like me, you're into your music there's a nice record store which doubles as a café called All Good Clean Records. There's also a museum called Rockheim which delves into the history of Norwegian music. One thing I noticed when I was there is that everywhere seemed to have free Wi-fi, even the supermarkets.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DFCForever View Post
    One thing I noticed when I was there is that everywhere seemed to have free Wi-fi, even the supermarkets.
    Well it is Norway after all. The country with probably the highest quality of life in the world.
    Expect to see a lot of Teslas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DFCForever View Post
    Trondheim is a lovely town, I too had a free day after our game last year and spent it galavanting around the place. There are some beautiful restaurants beside the canal. If, like me, you're into your music there's a nice record store which doubles as a café called All Good Clean Records. There's also a museum called Rockheim which delves into the history of Norwegian music. One thing I noticed when I was there is that everywhere seemed to have free Wi-fi, even the supermarkets.
    Cheers. I'll look into that. I was hoping for more of one big day long activity but from everything I've read it's a really beautiful town to just walk around. Hopefully we win and get at least one more trip somewhere interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Cheers. I'll look into that. I was hoping for more of one big day long activity but from everything I've read it's a really beautiful town to just walk around. Hopefully we win and get at least one more trip somewhere interesting.
    Enjoy the trip bud . I have a feeling you're in for a pasting but hopefully I'm wrong about that.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    No dundalk fan pulled him up on it.
    Tbh I think that's a pretty weak argument to make.

Are you, as a Cork fan, somehow liable for criticism for the nonsense another Cork fan might post, if you don't pull them up on it?
    Last edited by osarusan; 05/08/2018 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Tbh I think that's a pretty weak argument to make.

Are you, as a Cork fan, somehow liable for criticism for the nonsense another Cork fan might post, if you don't pull them up on it?
    If something that ridiculous was posted on our forum, and no one pulled them up on it, or commented on it, then yes I'd assume people at the very least didn't disagree with it or take issue with it. I'd assume the fan base involved thought it was a reasonable post. That said, you couldn't post the sky is blue on our forum without someone disagreeing with you, let alone something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    If something that ridiculous was posted on our forum, and no one pulled them up on it, or commented on it, then yes I'd assume people at the very least didn't disagree with it or take issue with it. I'd assume the fan base involved thought it was a reasonable post. That said, you couldn't post the sky is blue on our forum without someone disagreeing with you, let alone something like that.
    Whaddya mean the sky is blue? Ridiculous. JC out!!!!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    This could get interesting ...........

(or maybe just a tedious debate about levels of ridiculous)

Page 54 of 69 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast