Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Given the negativity around the game for Liam Miller RIP I doubt you would get much joy from Cork bog ballers regarding PUC. would be a pity to take such games out of Cork but Thomond is probably a better option than Dublin. lets hope it becomes a problem for group games !
    Down this way all the negativity has been directed at the GAA. I don't think we'll see a quick ruling making it available for us should we need it but its good to keep the discussion going. It doesn't make sense for us to move out of Cork when a publickly funded stadium that is open for 12 days a year sits empty.

I think long term our best option is to buy into Musgrave Park and redevelop that into a 10-12k seated Cat 4 stadium that can be shared/municipal. Thats long term though.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Down this way all the negativity has been directed at the GAA. I don't think we'll see a quick ruling making it available for us should we need it but its good to keep the discussion going. It doesn't make sense for us to move out of Cork when a publickly funded stadium that is open for 12 days a year sits empty.

I think long term our best option is to buy into Musgrave Park and redevelop that into a 10-12k seated Cat 4 stadium that can be shared/municipal. Thats long term though.
    Would make sense all around to see the gam(es) played at PUC - including making money for the GAA. Unfortunately it appears bigotry even trumps financial gain for some personally I believe large tax payer input should entitle some level of access for non GAA activities but that's another story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Hopefully staying in TX would be feasible. It's got a bigger capacity than Tallaght where we played out group games. I imagine it had other issues though

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ed-858129.html
    Clearly timed to add to the pressure on the GAA surrounding Pairc Ui Chaoimh but I'm glad to hear we'd be moving to Limerick rather than Dublin. I'm no fan of Thomond Park but I'd much prefer to play a 'home' game there rather than in Dublin. Plus with some EL group games starting at 6pm getting to Limerick would be easier for people in the City and west of the City than Dublin. Especially with rush hour traffic around Dublin.

Hopefully if we do get to these games the PUC issue is resolved and we can keep the games in Cork. I think we would probably need to move a playoff round game too. It is quite possible that we get that far this year. Maybe 40% as we'd still be underdogs vs Rosenborg but definitely a real possibility.
    It is looking likely that the GAA will be shamed into letting the Liam Miller game go ahead at PuC - no doubt using some mealy-mouthed self-serving set of words to justify it being a super-doper one-off never to happen again thing.

I wouldn't bet on Cork City getting to use PuC so quickly after it's been wrenched out of the GAA's hands for that game. Though it does feel like the start of the slow end of the GAA's ridiculous ban on Saxon sports using their facilities. And not before time.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Would make sense all around to see the gam(es) played at PUC - including making money for the GAA. Unfortunately it appears bigotry even trumps financial gain for some personally I believe large tax payer input should entitle some level of access for non GAA activities but that's another story.
    Ya but that's retrospective, when the money was given it should have been a clear stipulation. Its the governments fault for not clearly stipulating, saying community events etc is vague and ambiguous and gave the GAA wriggle room - which is probably the intended objective.

I think PUC would be sh1t for football, they get 70million Euro and they cant even build a proper stadium. Must be a cork thing :P
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 27/07/2018 at 3:10 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Any decision made around the Liam miller game, would be an exemption, they couldn't change to open up the ground before congress, which has already was being reported as having being widely rejected in 2017. I don't see why they should open their grounds either to be honest. Same as i don't see why gaa should be played on football pitches.

What criteria do Cork not meet for a play-off game? Munster FA own turners cross do they? Effectively meaning FAI owned?
    Surely rather than have GAA Central Council/Congress call the shots, like some sort of authoritarian dictatorship, it should be left up to each individual county and club to decide what to do with its own facilities ?

And if you don't think GAA grounds should be opened up to other sports - does that include American Football and things like Beyoncé and Springsteen too, or just 'Saxon' games ?

Do you think football and rugby should reciprocate by not letting GAA clubs use their facilities ? There are a number of GAA clubs in Ireland and overseas which simply wouldn't exist now if other sports had taken a similarly bigoted or retaliatory view. Or is it only the GAA who should be allowed to act in such a way ?

P.S. The Munster FA is the Munster FA - not the FAI. I'm pretty sure it even pre-dates the foundation of the FAI (the Munster Senior Cup does anyway).

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Musgrave is just getting a new astro put down in it and I'm not sure on how suitable it would be for football. Then the clubs that play there probably have a lease that would be an issue too. It would be good, but complicated.

Any decision made around the Liam miller game, would be an exemption, they couldn't change to open up the ground before congress, which has already was being reported as having being widely rejected in 2017. I don't see why they should open their grounds either to be honest. Same as i don't see why gaa should be played on football pitches.

What criteria do Cork not meet for a play-off game? Munster FA own turners cross do they? Effectively meaning FAI owned?
    Since they got state funding EU regulations mean that pretty much they can't have their facilities completely unavailable for use to the community as they have now but are trying to get around by offering the conference facilities out but the EU weren't happy with the funding in the first place so they probably won't buy that

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    is Musgrave Park beside Turners Cross by any chance?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    About 500m

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    GAA made a mistake by initially refusing to host the Miller game. It was a charity event, and the backlash, even from within their own sport, is something they really should have expected.

But I don't think there would be anything like the same reaction (from GAA people anyway) if Cork City were refused use of PUC for European games.
    Last edited by osarusan; 28/07/2018 at 7:53 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

But I don't think there would be anything like the same reaction (from GAA people anyway) if Cork City were refused use of PUC for European games.
    In my opinion the general reaction would be totally different - It would be at best unsympathetic and more likely to be overtly hostile

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    would Cork City realistically get more than 7k for the games anyway?
    Absolutely, yes. However, Turners Cross for me unless it's turned down which it likely will be.

I actually think the backlash in Cork about us not being allowed to play group games in PuC (as hypothetical as can be) would be huge. The bigots still exist, but they represent a much smaller portion of the population than they would have previously. Also, the club has built enormous goodwill around the city and have helped to carve a different image for LOI football over the past few years.

It wouldn't be quite the disgusted backlash of the Liam Miller fiasco, but a frustration around the continued bigotry and the public funds which have literally been sunk into this white elephant. A white elephant which shouldn't be so.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 29/07/2018 at 7:17 AM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    Absolutely, yes. However, Turners Cross for me unless it's turned down which it likely will be.

I actually think the backlash in Cork about us not being allowed to play group games in PuC (as hypothetical as can be) would be huge. The bigots still exist, but they represent a much smaller portion of the population than they would have previously. Also, the club has built enormous goodwill around the city and have helped to carve a different image for LOI football over the past few years.

It wouldn't be quite the disgusted backlash of the Liam Miller fiasco, but a frustration around the continued bigotry and the public funds which have literally been sunk into this white elephant. A white elephant which shouldn't be so.
    Perhaps the general vibe in Cork would be supportive, but there would be strong resistance nationally and probably locally.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Perhaps the general vibe in Cork would be supportive, but there would be strong resistance nationally and probably locally.
    Resistance, yes there would. It's a sad indictment of the types we still have living in this country.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    About 500m
    ah know it so!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    is that where Cork City played Bayern Munich?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    is that where Cork City played Bayern Munich?
    That's the one.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    It is looking likely that the GAA will be shamed into letting the Liam Miller game go ahead at PuC - no doubt using some mealy-mouthed self-serving set of words to justify it being a super-doper one-off never to happen again thing.

I wouldn't bet on Cork City getting to use PuC so quickly after it's been wrenched out of the GAA's hands for that game. Though it does feel like the start of the slow end of the GAA's ridiculous ban on Saxon sports using their facilities. And not before time.
    Jeez, are you writing the GAA statements now EYG ? almost an uncanny similarity to the Croke Park politburo missive They realise they screwed up RE the L.M. match but warning they will be prepared next time ! Don't fancy City's chances of much help from that quarter.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Surely rather than have GAA Central Council/Congress call the shots, like some sort of authoritarian dictatorship, it should be left up to each individual county and club to decide what to do with its own facilities ?

And if you don't think GAA grounds should be opened up to other sports - does that include American Football and things like Beyoncé and Springsteen too, or just 'Saxon' games ?

Do you think football and rugby should reciprocate by not letting GAA clubs use their facilities ? There are a number of GAA clubs in Ireland and overseas which simply wouldn't exist now if other sports had taken a similarly bigoted or retaliatory view. Or is it only the GAA who should be allowed to act in such a way ?

P.S. The Munster FA is the Munster FA - not the FAI. I'm pretty sure it even pre-dates the foundation of the FAI (the Munster Senior Cup does anyway).
    Interesting point this, as reading some articles over the weekend suggests that now the GAA will have to go and do something like this, as its proven that the rulebook isn't worth the paper its written on. I think it is, this is in itself a community event, a charity event.

I don't think it should be necessarily be up to anyone central structure, i agree with that. I just think football pitches and GAA pitches are not suited to be played in the same pitches. GAA have generally at local level, same as most football clubs, fundraised and built most of their own facilities with sports grands and GAA hq giving some money too. IT should be their choice as an individual club what they do with it, but I think it each sport should play on their own pitches.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post

I have no idea of local politics or localism in Cork, but my friends would suggest that "tis only small ball in cork boy", and there would be little appetite for association football being played in PUC. I have no idea as i said so happy to be wrong on this one.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast