Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Mmmm I seem to recall TNS winning 4 nil in Europe before
    Mmmm. I seem to remember Derby County winning 12-0 in Europe before, unlikely to happen again though.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Aren't Larnaca the team Cork played last year?? They've imported about 10-15 Spanish lads (a few with La Liga experience) in the last couple of years. I wouldn't have any Irish team as favs against them. They looked a cut above LOI standard when i watched their second leg vs Cork last year.
    Well according to the Cork boys last year they were the greatest team of all time. So I think we will have our work cut out providing we get past Talinn tomorrow evening.
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Cherrie is in absolute no mans land though. He ends up a yard or two outside the six yard box. The Legia attacker has no choice but to play it accross the goal. Griffen should have stayed tracking the ball and Cherrie should stay on his line.

Yes there are other errors but his is the main error. Terrible goalkeeping.
    you wouldn't of said that if it was St. McNulty. Cherrie was thrown under a bus by the cork defence there
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    you wouldn't of said that if it was St. McNulty. Cherrie was thrown under a bus by the cork defence there
    Feel free to revert with an actual opinion on the play rather than a pointless quip.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Stephen Kenny in Euro press conference today.

What other clubs do is irrelevant to us . We’re forging our own identity and we don’t feel inferior to anyone and we never will. We'll never go on the pitch and surrender possession and be inferior to anyone. But at the same time we never underestimate anyone either. We understand that we are not at the level that we can underestimate any team in Europe such is the rise in standards through Europe. You have to earn the right to win every game.
    It's a consistent philosophy whether the opposition are huge clubs with enormous budgets or lower ranked opposition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw0ueXpbqgQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    It makes sense. If your talking about how good the opposition are and how much money they have etc that has to get into the players minds even before they step on the pitch. Has to. Now it does not mean if your positive that you will go out and win regardless but at least your giving your players a positive message.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    If Legia lose their Q2 tie and drop into the EL, would it be possible for City to get them again in Q3, or would teams that have already played each other be kept apart in the draw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Rosenborg sneak through with a 94th minute penalty. Were going out on away goals. Geysir won’t be a happy camper.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That was a bizarre game altogether Rosenborg v Valur. The ref awarded 3 penalties, all three "never in a millions years" were penalties, the last of which came in et when Bendtner pushed a defender in the back, as the defender fell forward, the ball hit his hand. As it stood Valur were going through. The goalie got a good hand to the penalty, deflected it onto the crossbar but not enough and it just dropped back down over the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Well according to the Cork boys last year they were the greatest team of all time. So I think we will have our work cut out providing we get past Talinn tomorrow evening.
    Random comments.

Larnaca are far from the best team ever. They are however highly organised and we're tactically spot on against us. They limited us to very few chances. They didn't create a huge amount themselves, but we're clinical with what they did create. They were also incredibly cynical and frustrating that way. They're a decent side and will give Dundalk a good game.

On the goal, Cherrie absolutely screwed up there, I'm not sure Joe you could say any different, whoever was in goal. He admitted it himselves. Felt sorry for him, he made some fantastic saves on the night but ones like that haint you a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Now confirmed the teams we can get in QR3. Draw on Monday to see which tie we get the loser of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    On last night. Great trip and what an incredible atmosphere to experience. Can only imagine what the place is like on a big night.

Caulfield got the tactics spot on last week, but we left it behind us not being clinical. Also that penalty! That was our chance.

But last night, he got the tactics wrong, particularly after conceding the first. Im not upset we lost to a team like Legia but its very frustrating that we gifted them the goals. Wouldn't mind if they carved us open wihh quality but when it's silly mistakes it's annoying. Can't do that at this level.

And we never looked like scoring. We're really struggling to finish at the moment, in all competitions and if we don't get that right soon, we're going to continue struggling.

We badly missed Gearóid Morrisey in midfield last night, and Nults in goal. Although, in fairness to Cherrie he made some fantastic saves.

Bring on the draw for the next round, hopefully we get lucky, and remember how to score!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Larnaca are far from the best team ever. They are however highly organised and we're tactically spot on against us. They limited us to very few chances. They didn't create a huge amount themselves, but we're clinical with what they did create. They were also incredibly cynical and frustrating that way. They're a decent side and will give Dundalk a good game.
    Larnaca don't feature at this point.

Maybe about this time tomorrow it might be a relevant topic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Larnaca don't feature at this point.

Maybe about this time tomorrow it might be a relevant topic
    I was replying to a dundalk fans post above about Larnacas quality. While obviously no one should assume ye'll qualify, I think it's reasonable for plenty of your fans to be confident about it after the first leg. I'm sure yeve got a few with flights booked!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I was replying to a dundalk fans post above about Larnacas quality. While obviously no one should assume ye'll qualify, I think it's reasonable for plenty of your fans to be confident about it after the first leg. I'm sure yeve got a few with flights booked!
    I'm one of them! I'm definitely going to be in Larnaca's stadium on the 2nd of August. I just hope my team will be there.

I'm sure you understood my point well enough that it did not require you to explain or justify your post - debate on the merits or demerits of AEK Larnaca in 2018 are premature at this point from my perspective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Mmmm. I seem to remember Derby County winning 12-0 in Europe before, unlikely to happen again though.
    I'd say they'd get close if we were to play again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    On last night. Great trip and what an incredible atmosphere to experience. Can only imagine what the place is like on a big night.

Caulfield got the tactics spot on last week, but we left it behind us not being clinical. Also that penalty! That was our chance.

But last night, he got the tactics wrong, particularly after conceding the first. Im not upset we lost to a team like Legia but its very frustrating that we gifted them the goals. Wouldn't mind if they carved us open wihh quality but when it's silly mistakes it's annoying. Can't do that at this level.

And we never looked like scoring. We're really struggling to finish at the moment, in all competitions and if we don't get that right soon, we're going to continue struggling.

We badly missed Gearóid Morrisey in midfield last night, and Nults in goal. Although, in fairness to Cherrie he made some fantastic saves.

Bring on the draw for the next round, hopefully we get lucky, and remember how to score!
    I hear you!! Dundalk and Cork fans with something in common....

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    For the Legia opening goal, Cherrie definitely was poor but I'd be more looking at the midfield, the Legia guy who crossed was almost walking with the ball, at one stage the closest person to him was the ref!

Morrissey was without doubt a big loss for Cork, he's a player I really rate, snapping at your heels and box to box, I'd go as far as saying he's their best player.

Looking forward to our game tomorrow, I don't for one minute think this is a forgone conclusion but I'd be very disappointed if we don't progress. Those boys played some decent stuff in the first half last week, Dundalk need to get the first goal.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    There's a gif of the opener here (I might try embed it here as well)

The amount of space the midfielder has is quite incredible.

Edit - embedding not working. Anyone know how to do it?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 18/07/2018 at 9:32 PM.

Page 26 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast