Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    The tie is alive. One goal and it's all to play for.
    Disappointing to lose but cork can travel in hope.
    Could be a famous night ahead

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    A good result in the home leg is fine but there's a difference between the first and second leg. We did very well tonight but let's wait til after the second leg for comparisons at least

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Watched most of the 2nd half on Facebook, Legia didn’t look up to much but Cork offered little going forward (although I hear they missed great chances first half). Big difference between putting in a solid defensive display at home on a tight pitch compared to going away and scoring a couple of goals over there. The tie is dead for me with that away goal

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Jesus Christ lads calm down, he's not belittling what dundalk did against them just putting the result in perspective of how good that dundalk team were so doing better at home than what they did is a decent achievement. Jesus not everything is a personal attack on you lads
    Didn't think all that even remotely needed saying, but there you go.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Jesus Christ lads calm down, he's not belittling what dundalk did against them just putting the result in perspective of how good that dundalk team were so doing better at home than what they did is a decent achievement. Jesus not everything is a personal attack on you lads
    I don't see any sign of anyone taking offence or getting particularly excited.

Comparisons on these type of results - either to praise or damn - are questionable to begin with and at a minimum are premature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    A good result in the home leg is fine but there's a difference between the first and second leg. We did very well tonight but let's wait til after the second leg for comparisons at least
    Know Legia are decent but don’t see how a defeat at home can be classified as a good result in the first leg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Know Legia are decent but don’t see how a defeat at home can be classified as a good result in the first leg
    Well, I expected to lose by like 4, so relatively.....

But yeah, Caulfield said the same last night. Moral victories are worthless, we left it behind us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Did everyone in cork( players, manager,fans) expect to lose heavily to a team only starting pre season? Maybe that's why you lost..

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I don't see any sign of anyone taking offence or getting particularly excited.

Comparisons on these type of results - either to praise or damn - are questionable to begin with and at a minimum are premature
    Short term memory loss is an awful thing Ez, your brain must be full up with all those Bradley quotes you've learnt off
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    That **** won't fight.

Come back after the second leg to make the comparisons.

In the unlikely event that Cork were to succeed they would deserve all the plaudits going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its settled now! Cork have had a better result at home against Legia so are now without doubt the best team in the land!! Definite favourites to win the league as they romp through this away leg and QR3!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Did everyone in cork( players, manager,fans) expect to lose heavily to a team only starting pre season? Maybe that's why you lost..
    The players obviously didn't, as shown by their performance. Funnily enough, I don't think my expectation as a fan for a team like Legia to beat us comfortably had any impact on the game. Silly post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    even though Legia are in pre-season they are a level above anyone in our league, the disappointing thing was when you look at the teamsheet yesterday evening and you see Cork's two best players on the bench you think do they really believe they can win this game or are they just looking not to get a beating. maybe its somewhere in between but you would like to have the mindset of going out to try and play your best players and not just try and contain them. in saying that their goal was an unreal strike and looks like Cherrie was not at fault at all. pity cause that away goal really will probably end the tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Legia were there for the taking last night. That is as poor as I've seen them, they looked leggy and poorly prepared for the match.

Would a less ultra-defensive approach have gotten Cork a result? Difficult to say.

I just get the feeling that Cork missed a great opportunity to put themselves in a good position to do something special. These opportunities come rarely at that level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Cherrie played very well.

I think most would strongly disagree with you on who our 2 best players are! But they're certainly the most likely to score.

That said, we're defesively weak down the left. Sadlier doesn't offer protection and Griffin isn't strong enough to do without it. I think it was the right call tactically. We needed to keep it tight first and foremost.

The Cummins one was a surprise, but i think it did work tactically. We basically played McNamee instead of Cummins. I think if Cummins had started, Shep would have went wide and McNamee would have started on the bench. He went with shep chasing everything down up front (which we should have scored from) and hoped a bit of creativity from Barry in behind would lead to a goal, which it should have! It didn't work out but I couldn't argue with the calls much after the performance. Clean sheet was the priority

That didn't work, so we'll have to try to score over there, so one of the two definitely has to start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Legia were there for the taking last night. That is as poor as I've seen them, they looked leggy and poorly prepared for the match.

Would a less ultra-defensive approach have gotten Cork a result? Difficult to say.

I just get the feeling that Cork missed a great opportunity to put themselves in a good position to do something special. These opportunities come rarely at that level.
    Our tactics were good and we created 3 or 4 good chances - it was a missed opportunity alright but not down to the ultra defensive approach. If we had gone at them a bit more we would have left ourselves too exposed. We needed to stay compact and force Legia to try and stretch us and they didn't really and resorted to playing down the middle which we were able to defend well. We just gave them too many handy long pot shots - most went into row Z but they are have lots of quality and they stuck one into the top corner - that's football. I can't be too critical of Caulfield last night - it was a pragmatic approach that gave us the best chance to get a result, and we nearly did.

If we can bring the commitment and effort that we showed last night into the Europa League then we can get a result or two imo. Maybe even next week, but that will surely be too stiff a task.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    The plan was pretty much spot on and was executed very well. We created 4 very good chances and should have scored at least one. We limited them to shots from distance for 90 minutes and they scored an absolutely worldy. Maybe we would have won if we had gone for it early but maybe we would have lost 4-0. This is a two legged tie, the most important thing was to keep the tie alive going over. It is still alive though its obviously going to be much more difficult going over 1-0 down as opposed to 1-0 up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    look its never easy against these sides, i seen some of the chances Cork had and it looked like McNamee had a bad touch as he was played in. seemed the best of the chances? if Cork can somehow manage an away goal who knows. just hope its not a 4 or 5-0 thumping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    McNamee is a bottler in front of goal. I love him, but that's 3 huge games he's done it this season.

Cummins also had a great chance and we'd two good headed chances too. On another night we'd have stuck one of them, just not clinical enough.

From their side, they'd one excellent chance first half, they should have scored. Beyond that very little.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Thought Sadlier butchered a good chance near the end but maybe it was harder than the camera showed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Thought Sadlier butchered a good chance near the end but maybe it was harder than the camera showed
    He never kind of got the shot off. Unusual from him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    do our teams have the real belief when we play these sides, how many times have we seen games when we miss chances, i think it plays a part. maybe i'm wrong.

Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast