Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LoI Fixtures 11 May to 15 May

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    I'm not denying the chances, but think it would be fair to say if you'd taken any of them it would have been against the run of play. No? Or how many more chances than the four you mention are you claiming in the second half?

I don't think there was anything wrong with Corks final ball. Just pish poor finishing, when opportunity presented. At least for the instsnces you highlight.
    I'd agree with that in the second half. Once Beattie and Sadlier came on, our final ball got much better and those chances happened. But yeah, it would have been against the run of play.

In the first half though we had plenty of possession but final ball was shocking. There were no chances really at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Barry Murphy had his best ever game for Pats somehow stopping Limerick from scoring on a few occasions. Delighted to get the win, our first back to back wins in 40 years or something.

Sligo tomorrow night, need to get another win to start pulling away from Rovers and start catching the top 4
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Can any Derry fans shed any light if there are some unusual circumstances here or is it that the KS or club officials did not track his bookings and realise that a suspension was looming? While KS may have only learned about it this morning, presumably the club were notified in the normal way by the FAI?
    He's been booked four times this season, last against Limerick on 30th April. I don't know why he's suspended, and only from today.
    Maybe he got booked in a pre-season friendly, would that count?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Barry Murphy had his best ever game for Pats somehow stopping Limerick from scoring on a few occasions. Delighted to get the win, our first back to back wins in 40 years or something.

Sligo tomorrow night, need to get another win to start pulling away from Rovers and start catching the top 4
    Out of curiosity, what do you think the attendance was? And what was the atmosphere like?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you think the attendance was? And what was the atmosphere like?
    Atmosphere was like a pre season friendly. I saw somewhere had an attendance of 625 I think it was, even that looked a bit generous tbh
    Here on a technicality.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Just left Dundalk for Derry now.

No buses would travel from Dundalk, meaning we wont have 50 fans. The normal Travel Club were quoted €1000 Deposit on the bus if they wanted to go.

Think the Shed Side Army or whatever they call themselves these days have a mini bus from company in Newry (no bus from Dundalk will take them anywhere never mind Derry)

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Impressive by dundalk to go up to derry and put 4 past them.

More points dropped by Waterford tonight after a late penalty for Bray gets them a 2-2 draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dundalk pished home v Derry tonight.
    Early doors was all us followed by about 10 mins of Derry pressure during which they scored.Nice goal by cole.
    After that it was basically all us again ,Dundalk creating problems all over and plenty of chances.
    Absolute classic Dundalk goal by Garts from the corner for our opener.Set-piece magic.
    Benson's goal,well taken & will fill him full of confidence(he's been poor lately imo)

Micheal Duffy was simply outstanding for Dundalk tonight.Got the goal he deserved to round off a 10/10 display.Shields was also top class also though every Dundalk player looked well 'up4it'.

Lovin; the new randywell,very jealous in that regard,but the result was all that mattered tonight.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I think Michael Duffy is the leagues stand out player currently. Sensational performance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I think Michael Duffy is the leagues stand out player currently. Sensational performance
    Duffy, Sadlier, and Burke are the three the stand out to me.

Of the three, Duffy is the most consistent. Not completely consistent, but then again if he adds that to his game, he would be off to England. So perhaps, a little inconsistency is better for us.

Sadlier doesn't play often enough though, Does Caulfield not trust him? It is hard to properly assess a player who spends so much time on the bench.

As for Burke, I'd love to see him in a better team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Deserved win for Dundalk last night in Derry. Dundalk started well, Derry took about ten minutes to get going, and got a goal soon after.
    From then on though, it was all Dundalk. Poor defending from the corner. If Gartland hadn't have got on the end of it, there were another couple of Dundalk players lined up for it. Some lovely play for Dundalk's second, though Gerard Doherty (who had a cracking game mostly) could have stayed on his feet longer? Third was on the counter attack, really quick play created loads of space in our half.
    Chatting to a few Dundalk ones after who weren't sure, was our disallowed goal actually offside? I don't think it'd have changed the result, mind.

Can't be too annoyed at the result, but it's just disappointing that there's such a gap between ourselves and Dundalk. It was really evident tonight. Dundalk have experience, physical strength and presence, and can call on some good players on the bench. We don't, and won't have this season.

Can't see past Dundalk for the league, based on that performance. Easily the best team we've played. You'd fancy them to do alright in the EL too.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Very honest and refreshing to read coming from a home fan report.

I think the game changed after Dundalk went 1 behind, Derry obv pushed on for the second but Dundalk had to get a grip of the MF and they did just that with Shields stopping McEneff making any real impact and allowing Benson to advance freely. Dundalk missing a good few players too last night, so makes it even more imporessive.

Most I spoke to pre match said they would have taken a draw !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Deserved win for Dundalk last night in Derry. Dundalk started well, Derry took about ten minutes to get going, and got a goal soon after.
    From then on though, it was all Dundalk. Poor defending from the corner. If Gartland hadn't have got on the end of it, there were another couple of Dundalk players lined up for it. Some lovely play for Dundalk's second, though Gerard Doherty (who had a cracking game mostly) could have stayed on his feet longer? Third was on the counter attack, really quick play created loads of space in our half.
    Chatting to a few Dundalk ones after who weren't sure, was our disallowed goal actually offside? I don't think it'd have changed the result, mind.

Can't be too annoyed at the result, but it's just disappointing that there's such a gap between ourselves and Dundalk. It was really evident tonight. Dundalk have experience, physical strength and presence, and can call on some good players on the bench. We don't, and won't have this season.

Can't see past Dundalk for the league, based on that performance. Easily the best team we've played. You'd fancy them to do alright in the EL too.
    Don't think Kenny Shields will appreciate your magnanimity, according to him we hacked, dived and cheated our way to victory.....

Then had a wobbler when called out on it, an entertainer to the last

https://audioboom.com/posts/6855637....rss&stitched=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    The warmth, welcome and passion of the Derry supporters always makes a trip to the Brandywell worthwhile. To see the revamped stadium was also interesting, but the prospect of two open footballing teams going for it was the big attraction in travelling last night. The 4-1 result helped make it a super journey, but make no mistake about it Derry played their part in a cracking match

Derry are a smashing team and are committed to playing attractive open football. It would be good for the league if they could keep most of this team together because they play a style of football that is a pleasure to watch as opposed to the turgid anti-football fare that some other teams inflict on spectators.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Duffy, Sadlier, and Burke are the three the stand out to me.

Of the three, Duffy is the most consistent. Not completely consistent, but then again if he adds that to his game, he would be off to England. So perhaps, a little inconsistency is better for us.

Sadlier doesn't play often enough though, Does Caulfield not trust him? It is hard to properly assess a player who spends so much time on the bench.

As for Burke, I'd love to see him in a better team.
    Sadlier is certainly our most talented, and threatening player in general. He started well but had a few games where he was fairly anonymous and ended up on the bench. He doesn't do enough of the defensive side of the game for Caulfield, which is why he ends up benched a fair bit.

JC is only likely to start one of him or McNamee, as they're both quite weak defensively, and at the moment McNamee is getting the not.

I'd imagine most city fans would prefer to see Sadlier starting, and he's changed games from the bench. JC has a history of benching flair players to give them a boot up the behind, so hopefully that's what's happening here. It worked with Seani!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Derry are a smashing team and are committed to playing attractive open football. It would be good for Dundalk if other teams tickled our bellies like Derry did last night as opposed to playing in a way that might actually garner a result for their supporters
    Fixed that for you there.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Don't think Kenny Shields will appreciate your magnanimity, according to him we hacked, dived and cheated our way to victory.....

Then had a wobbler when called out on it, an entertainer to the last

https://audioboom.com/posts/6855637....rss&stitched=1
    Kenny Shiels is great craic, although he certainly didn't like getting called out by Gerry Malone post match - who he had a spat with him a few weeks back in Oriel Park.

GM: Are you seriously saying that Chris Shields is a cheat? I think that’s very harsh on your part

KS: I said that? I didn’t say that. Where did this guy come from? What are you telling lies for? Get him out of here – that’s a lie. That’s a lie, I did not say he was a cheat

KS was right he didn't call Chris Shields a cheat, but he strongly implied it about him and his teammates

KS: “They’re professional how they manage games. They go down and pretend to be injured, they dive, they do all the things that helps them. Like Chris Shields has three horrendous fouls and if you compare that with what Gavin Peers had two fouls in the full game at Dundalk and got sent off. But our young lads don’t know how to cheat. Like they just got 8 men around our player in Dundalk and that’s what they do – they kill out games”
    He was also adamant that there was a foul with Rory Patterson being blocked off in the box for Brian Gartlands goal from a corner

Kenny sees things that others just can't see (well I couldnt see it in real time last night or the videos footage today)
    https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/sta...61870397521922

Kenny Shiels is an excellent manager, but is less than gracious in defeat. He is not a true reflection of the decency and honesty of Derry City fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Fixed that for you there.
    Was there something in my post that upset you?

.......because they play a style of football that is a pleasure to watch as opposed to the turgid anti-football fare that some other teams inflict on spectators.
    If the cap fits....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Was there something in my post that upset you?

If the cap fits....
    You're a gas man Ezeikial.

Kenny Shields is an excellent manager. *chuckles

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Kenny Shiels is great craic, although he certainly didn't like getting called out by Gerry Malone post match - who he had a spat with him a few weeks back in Oriel Park.

KS was right he didn't call Chris Shields a cheat, but he strongly implied it about him and his teammates

He was also adamant that there was a foul with Rory Patterson being blocked off in the box for Brian Gartlands goal from a corner

Kenny sees things that others just can't see (well I couldnt see it in real time last night or the videos footage today)
    https://twitter.com/SoccRepublic/sta...61870397521922

Kenny Shiels is an excellent manager, but is less than gracious in defeat. He is not a true reflection of the decency and honesty of Derry City fans

Shields was also adamant that there was a foul with Rory Patterson being blocked off in the box for Brian Gartlands goal from a corner
    That's a common move lots of well organised teams use & particularly when using target men like Hoban for the decoy, prevent the run of the markers leaving the real target like Gartland completely free to score. This isn't blocking, it is creating confusion though. Clever move.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast