Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: LoI Fixtures 27 Apr to 30 Apr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Boycott talk starting among some Limerick fans.
    When supporters do that they need to understand it can take time for change. Just look at us.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    To be honest, the gradually lowering attendance figures - just over 700 for Derry and dropping fast - will be almost as powerful a statement as an outright boycott would be.
    It's a statement alright, but what impact will it actually have?

However we view the past spending/wastage, the fact remains that we have no money right now to improve things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post
    Pats in control of the game up until the sending off, Watts hardly got a touch of the ball until then, granted he was very good after that.
    There was contact for the peno incident but it might not have been enough for a foul but could have been enough for it not to be a dive one of those were you've seen them given but seen them waved away too.

Thought Pats were solid too after the sending off and looked to be taking all 3 points until Murphy decided to almost throw the ball into his own net for the Bohs first goal.

It certainly isn't an open free flowing Bucko team of old but there is still quality there and far more resilient than last few seasons, were a god keeper and a certain forward away from the top 4 IMO.
    As I said possibly Bohs worst display of the season and still worth a point.If by solid you mean trying to hold the ball at the corner flag, then yes, Pats were 'solid'. At no stage were Pats 'in control' of the game, even before the sending off. Once they got the first goal they sat back and tried to hit Bohs on the break. Bad passing and snatching at chances were all that preserved their lead (first goal a fluke cross following Buckley slipping out wide and the second goal from a corner - hardly 'in control').
    Anyway sure if you are happy with pats and think them quality then fine.Your comments regarding the dive, I wont dignify with a response. always nice to get a late late equalizer but I would have been gutted to drop three points to such a poor Pats team

PS every team in the premier division are just a 'God keeper and a certain forward' away from top 4
    Last edited by marinobohs; 01/05/2018 at 2:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    As I said possibly Bohs worst display of the season and still worth a point.If by solid you mean trying to hold the ball at the corner flag, then yes, Pats were 'solid'. At no stage were Pats 'in control' of the game, even before the sending off. Once they got the first goal they sat back and tried to hit Bohs on the break. Bad passing and snatching at chances were all that preserved their lead (first goal a fluke cross following Buckley slipping out wide and the second goal from a corner - hardly 'in control').
    Anyway sure if you are happy with pats and think them quality then fine.Your comments regarding the dive, I wont dignify with a response. always nice to get a late late equalizer but I would have been gutted to drop three points to such a poor Pats team

PS every team in the premier division are just a 'God keeper and a certain forward' away from top 4
    Holding the ball in the corner flag was in the last couple of minutes, when, as you may have noticed, we were down to 10 men. There's not a team in the league that would have done different. Plus we nearly scored a third goal in that spell. And you accused me of talking rubbish

On looking at the TV it was no penalty, so I'll hold my hands up there. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a dive. And we were comfortable at two up with 11 v 11. I'll stand by my statement that you weren't getting back into it without the sending off. Even your manager admitted the sending off changed the game.

It wasn't one of our better performances this year, we miss Garvan and Brennan in the centre in my view, we'd be a different team with those two.

PS - I'd quite like a "God" keeper.
    Last edited by TonyD; 01/05/2018 at 4:04 PM.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    To be honest, the gradually lowering attendance figures - just over 700 for Derry and dropping fast - will be almost as powerful a statement as an outright boycott would be.
    Very true! There isnt a club in the league that hasnt had spells where crowds have bottomed out due to the well publicised examples of problem owners and some crazy and whacky managers/teams on show. No matter how any club is doing right now its not an indication of years of being well run or that current success or security will be forever and a day. At Dundalk we have been blessed with some proper white knight owners (including Gerry Matthews when we needed his ownership regardless of how things went south at the end of his era), FastFix lads and the key decisions they made that turned fortunes around (again with some retrospective criticism in some quarters for not trying to do more with Oriel Park), Peak6 is too early to call but so far not so bad. There were Enda McGuill, Eamonn Hiney, Paddy Malone types in the more distant past who were club saviours but then, in particular with Enda McGuill came in for smoe criticism in the end.

Waterford recently, Cork, Shamrock Rovers, Derry have been on life support but have gotten back to the business end of the league and cup competitions. Limerick, Galway, Athlone, Bray and to a lesser extent Longford are having issues currently. Sligo and Pats have had scares but not the extent of others that I remember. Bohs and Shels have worked hard to reduce their crippling debt. Drogheda, Cobh(?), and Wexford have been bailed by the FAI by taking on the millstone like purchase of their grounds. Harps have done reasonably well to try and keep things afloat by working withing their means, Sligo too had their appeals to the public for greater support - Is there anyone left out as its every club.

I know this is all stating the well known turmoil in our league over the years, without even mentioning clubs that are no longer around but Athlone fans among others should never totally give up. It obviously helps to have some sort of organised supporters group ( eg Cork Foras, Dundalk Trust, Rover's 400 club) preparing to step up and offer an option to an owner when they eventually have nowhere to turn and they just want to offload their vanity projects or whatever and Athlone have enough history and prestige for the town not to forever have abandoned the club if a more palatable owner or board were to take the helm one day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Holding the ball in the corner flag was in the last couple of minutes, when, as you may have noticed, we were down to 10 men. There's not a team in the league that would have done different. Plus we nearly scored a third goal in that spell. And you accused me of talking rubbish

On looking at the TV it was no penalty, so I'll hold my hands up there. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a dive. And we were comfortable at two up with 11 v 11. I'll stand by my statement that you weren't getting back into it without the sending off. Even your manager admitted the sending off changed the game.

It wasn't one of our better performances this year, we miss Garvan and Brennan in the centre in my view, we'd be a different team with those two.

PS - I'd quite like a "God" keeper.
    'certain forward' wouldn't go amiss either anyway thought a draw was probably fair but can understand your frustration at pats tossing away a two goal lead.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    [QUOTE=TonyD;1959986]

On looking at the TV it was no penalty, so I'll hold my hands up there. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a dive.

Ref was very close to the incident and called it, inconclusive from TV coverage, most benign explanation is that Brennan may have tripped over his laces or hit by a sniper in the stand.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678