Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI Fixtures 27 Apr to 30 Apr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Do you think the pitch was ok?

It was certainly heavy and not secure under foot with both sets of players losing their footing.
    I think it's seen better days, but has seen worse too.

I know, as you do going by your second sentence, that both teams have to play on it.

I also know that time and time again Kenny is slow to give us any credit and time and time again trots out some new excuse or equivocation when we beat him.

As Gavin McLaughlin tweeted last night, here's Dundalk's record since 2015 at the Cross: P8 W1 D2 L5 F6 A13

Was the pitch to blame all those other times too?

He's a very good manager, but a very sore loser. To be honest the excuses, the "better team lost" statement, and general bitterness make our wins that little bit more enjoyable.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The look on Caulfields face when McCormack flattened Hoban - he thought he was going to walk for a moment and was very relieved looking when there wasnt any card.
    What was more worrying was McGrath telling Whooobin to stay down and have another few rolls while the rest of the team surround the ref to get McCormack a card. Ye really have a cynical team. No doubt well coached in the dark arts.

Doyle had a patchy performance in general with slips getting frees and trips getting nothing.
    He gave a few strange decisions but overall I felt he did well in not bowing to the Dundalk pressure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    watch the match then deliver your verdict instead of taking cheap pot-shots here like most of your ilk.
    You might add something to the conversation then.
    Lol. Take a chill pill and relax. It's only a game of ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I hear Brian Kerr had a rant about the half time entertainment and kids playing on the pitch. None of this has any bearing on the pitch. And what he should remember is that all those items at halftime entice kids to come back which grows our support. Averaging 5000 for games doesn't magically happen. He should look a bit closer to home.

Also it's been a crap winter with very little growth and TX gets a lot of non City matches this time of year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Anyone slating the pitch surfaces at the moment clearly don’t cut lawns 😊

It’s be basically raining since August last year (well feels like it).

Also Cork has been hit worst for the rain since January. It’s a real credit to grounds staff that pitches are playable at all.

Good news- now it’s warming up a bit the grass is starting to grow and will help get the pitches back into normal order soon.
    Last edited by SeanDrog; 28/04/2018 at 9:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    It's depressing to watch someone like Kerr have a go off kids playing at half time because of the pitch. The day we stop playing kids at half time to protect to pitch for the senior team is a sad day for the club.

The pitch was torn up during the week. The half time kids barely made a dent, it's not like it was significantly worse in the second half.

Those kids are the future of the club, and community involvement like this is why our crowds are getting higher and higher. Can you imagine telling a club full of kids and their parents after coming to the game that they wouldn't be playing? There's 60 people you'd never see in Turners Cross again.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    That's a cop out on your behalf. The dive incident was too far down the other end for me to get a good view of it, so can't really comment. But if you're looking for a scapegoat look no further than your keeper who gifted us the first goal.

Thought we deserved a point and our lads deserve a lot of credit for keeping going until the end.
    If it turns out it was a dive then I'll stand corrected, from where I was it looked like he was taken. You weren't getting back into it at 11 v 11, (in m view) so that decision changed the game. If he'd given a penalty then it was 3-0 and game over.

Having said that I was a bit disappointed with our substitutions. Thought Killian Brennan should have come on to get a hold of the ball in midfield.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Big fan of Kerr but that was just stupid. Thought his comments about Oriel recently were uncalled for too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    It's depressing to watch someone like Kerr have a go off kids playing at half time because of the pitch. The day we stop playing kids at half time to protect to pitch for the senior team is a sad day for the club.

The pitch was torn up during the week. The half time kids barely made a dent, it's not like it was significantly worse in the second half.

Those kids are the future of the club, and community involvement like this is why our crowds are getting higher and higher. Can you imagine telling a club full of kids and their parents after coming to the game that they wouldn't be playing? There's 60 people you'd never see in Turners Cross again.
    Spot on, the family enclosure and half time kids' kickabout does wonders for our young fanbase. City historically has had a patchy relationship with Cork clubs, the half time kickabout is a small gesture that helps keep things positive.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I don't know what the actual rules are exactly, but proper annoyed by the line of "Vote No" canvassers allowed either side of the entrance turnstile to Carlisle. Be nice to get away from the referendum for an hour and a half.
    They need to open more turnstiles

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Pat Hoban(I think) was clapping the shed after the game last night. Thought that was strange. Have to say though, in injury time and when the teams were leaving the pitch after, there was some noise being generated from us in the shed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

Agree totally. I watched and listened in pure disbelief. Like outspoken said above, I'm also a big fan of Kerr, but those comments were completely absurd. Talking about kids on the pitch and the players attempting a crossbar challenge from the edge of the box as a mitigating factor towards the condition of the pitch. Little research goes a long way, and checking just how many games have been played there might have helped.

Obviously it's the Munster FA grounds, they can do with it as they please, but a little common sense lads..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    10 clean sheets in a row now in Turners Cross. Brilliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    If it turns out it was a dive then I'll stand corrected, from where I was it looked like he was taken. You weren't getting back into it at 11 v 11, (in m view) so that decision changed the game. If he'd given a penalty then it was 3-0 and game over.

Having said that I was a bit disappointed with our substitutions. Thought Killian Brennan should have come on to get a hold of the ball in midfield.
    IF my aunts had balls...... Rubbish. Two very poor teams and result about right. Brennan is a cretin but at no stage did Pats play any football, even with 11 players. Bohs passed the ball and passed and passed, usually to little avail. Pats tried to sit on the lead and see the game out and got what they deserved. Blame Bucko and your players not one refs decision.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

The condition of the pitch is not the reason why either team won or lost the match - but the facts are that the pitch condition was very poor.

I listened to Brian Kerr's comments on the RTE Player today (I think he can be a right muppet at times), but I don't think he was having "a go off kids playing", but pointing out that all the activity on the pitch, (cross bar challenge, multiple kids games, 14 subs warming up etc) was causing additional damage to an already soft pitch. Surely that is a fair point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The condition of the pitch is not the reason why either team won or lost the match - but the facts are that the pitch condition was very poor.

I listened to Brian Kerr's comments on the RTE Player today (I think he can be a right muppet at times), but I don't think he was having "a go off kids playing", but pointing out that all the activity on the pitch, (cross bar challenge, multiple kids games, 14 subs warming up etc) was causing additional damage to an already soft pitch. Surely that is a fair point?
    What's the point of making that point though? The tone clearly came across as complaining that it was happening. If you're going to make a negative point about something incredibly positive for the club, then he should have acknowledged the importance of these activities or give a reasonable alternative. Complaining for complaining sake is ridiculous.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

He basically said the kids shouldn’t be on the pitch given it’s condition and maybe wait until the weather gets a little better for half time matches. Rubbish from him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    What was more worrying was McGrath telling Whooobin to stay down and have another few rolls while the rest of the team surround the ref to get McCormack a card. Ye really have a cynical team. No doubt well coached in the dark arts.

He gave a few strange decisions but overall I felt he did well in not bowing to the Dundalk pressure.
    You're a massive troll or the most blinkered fan I've ever come across, which is it?

You must have some hearing or maybe you're a professional lip reader. Are you suggesting that Hoban was faking injury?
    Watch the game back and McCormack in particular every time there was a foul by Dundalk, hounding Doyle for cards, similar to Bolger when he was there. He actually did you a lot of favours last night, not booking McCormack, could have sent Keoghan off for his tackle on Hoare. Giving Cummins frees every time he backed in, grabbed the shirt and went to ground

Poor game overall, dominated possession but lacked a cutting edge. Cork setup for the draw with the hope of nicking a win and managed it with their only shot on target. The only consolation from last night is that if Cork continue to cough up that much possession in games they will come unstuck. Fully expect us to win the next one in Oriel, just depends what the table looks like when that comes around

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Exactly. Pats were playing for the corner flag with 15 left and sat so deep inviting pressure. Murphy was very bad for both goals and the ref was terrible for both teams. Many, many times he blew the whistle for a free even though Bohs had a clear opportunity for an advantage.

Hard to tell whether it was a dive or not from our end. From my view I thought the player got the ball, meaning if Brennan went down there was probably contact but the tackle was legal, but then again there was another poster saying he was cleaned out and another saying it looked like he dived so we'll have to wait till Monday to find out.

EDIT: @MarinoBohs

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast