Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    They didn't really get a say in the matter, it was happening no matter what, only decision was how involved they'd be. The atmosphere problems are either down to the team or easily enough fixed but won't be
    The FAI actively chased the day tripper / family supporter type. While initially it brought crowds to see the shiny new stadium, it delivered a bored sterile atmosphere. Have gone with “new” fans to both Aviva and LOI games and everyone of them preferred the atmosphere at Dalymount, Tallaght or Inchicore.
    Real football for real fans
    Must be said the turgid trash constantly served up by Martin O ‘Neill Ireland don’t give fans much to cheer about.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    yeah correct. on off the ball they were talking about the lack of atmosphere at Ireland games now and it was way better in the old days. Maybe I am wrong in what I have said but do the FAI regret upgrading the Aviva Stadium?
    Ignoring the fact it wasn't their decision - are you really asking if the FAI regret having a state of the art stadium which can be used to attract major footballing events to their jurisdiction, and which after the debt is cleared will make them pots of money, and enable their salaries and bonuses to go up ?

I'm sure it's a decision that keeps them up at night

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Ignoring the fact it wasn't their decision - are you really asking if the FAI regret having a state of the art stadium which can be used to attract major footballing events to their jurisdiction, and which after the debt is cleared will make them pots of money, and enable their salaries and bonuses to go up ?

I'm sure it's a decision that keeps them up at night
    it was just on off the ball when johnny ward was raising it he was of the opinion that the atmosphere was better under the old stadium. i suppose back then a lot more people were standing behind the goals. he mentioned the fact that in his opinion people standing at matches always generated way better atmosphere than people sitting.that was simply the point that I was trying to raise.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    it was just on off the ball when johnny ward was raising it he was of the opinion that the atmosphere was better under the old stadium. i suppose back then a lot more people were standing behind the goals. he mentioned the fact that in his opinion people standing at matches always generated way better atmosphere than people sitting.that was simply the point that I was trying to raise.
    Here's a tip. Ignore everything Johnny Ward says. He's so far up his own hole it's hard to decifer when he says something accurate. He's a hot take merchant. He has made his career in having an opinion regardless of whether that opinion makes any sense. He might even believe some of his own bull**** but you should know better.

5. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    The atmosphere at the old Lansdowne was awful. It was so open and there always seemed to be a gale blowing through. On the right day with a full house it might have been OK, but a lot of the time it was pretty poor. People only tend to remember the best days of things like that, the Aviva is night and day better in every way.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The atmosphere at the old Lansdowne was awful. It was so open and there always seemed to be a gale blowing through. On the right day with a full house it might have been OK, but a lot of the time it was pretty poor. People only tend to remember the best days of things like that, the Aviva is night and day better in every way.
    The problem ie not the stadium - the Aviva is better in every way, but in the crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Here's a tip. Ignore everything Johnny Ward says. He's so far up his own hole it's hard to decifer when he says something accurate. He's a hot take merchant. He has made his career in having an opinion regardless of whether that opinion makes any sense. He might even believe some of his own bull**** but you should know better.
    look theres no need to be getting personal with me each to their own as they say!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I strongly disagree. I think Johnny Ward is excellent at what he does, I value his opinion greatly.

10. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Cork won the match on Sunday 99 flares to Dundalk’s 65 or it looked that way to me. Went with my grown up son to the game. First time for either of us at an FAI Cup Final. Unreal atmosphere. Decided to side with Dundalk on the day only because of Athlone man Robbie Benson. Decent lad and from a great musical family. I had the pleasure of recording his mother and sister a few times playing traditional tunes. Don’t know if he plays any instrument himself but I‘d say he could turn a hand to anything like that if it was his wont. He had a good game and unlucky not to score.
    Brilliant craic from both set of fans. Was sitting in front of a bevvy of Dutch men who were there for the weekend. They were Ajax supporters and of all the players that caught their eye they thought Duffy was the standout participant and always willing to take a man on.
    Really funny comment from a Dundalk man behind us who said something to the effect that Cork had risen about their station and needed to be taken down a peg. Sure weren’t both clubs scraping the bottom of the barrel within the last decade or so?
    Watched the game back on the player. The Referee was very consistent and his team of officials must be praised for an excellent performance.
    Was sitting behind a lad who was the spit of Bradley the Rovers manager. I would actually venture to think it is on the mind of Dundalk that if they can keep the current setup intact they could gain on Shamrock Rovers’ cup record.
    With a greater marketing push I daresay the numbers might push 35,000 next year as the buzz from this year will encourage a great many schoolboy/girl clubs to attend and tons of neutrals. Having been without live football for so long I was on a high yesterday still after the game.
    Congratulations Dundalk and commiserations to Cork City. Great value for money. Total trip cost including meals ticket and travel for us both just €125.
    Only seeing this post now. Great post. Glad you enjoyed it. Went as a neutral myself and really enjoyed it. Hopefully one day it will sellout. That will be some buzz. I'd love a proper football culture in this country. We have a fantastic niche at the minute but I was it was a bit bigger.

Anyway, I think we're on the right path

12. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I strongly disagree. I think Johnny Ward is excellent at what he does, I value his opinion greatly.
    Welcome to the forum, Johnny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Johnny
    Cheers David. I'll give you a shout-out in the Racing Post 😂

15. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Any NAPs Johnny?

In fairness Johnny seems like a good lad. As a previous poster said he's a hot take merchant, but that's his niche. The work he puts in for the LOI is admirable. He's very passionate about the league and wants it to succeed. He's a very prominent LOI supporter and the league is better for the work he, and Dan McDonnell, do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I'd be inclined to agree with El-P on johnny ward. Not a very likeable person IMO.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I think it’s far to say the setting and the atmosphere is certainly not a problem. As for standing, did he look behind the two goals on Sunday? Silly comments

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    I'd be inclined to agree with El-P on johnny ward. Not a very likeable person IMO.
    Have you met him in person?

I first met him in Warsaw, seemed a really nice guy. Didn't meet him again until after we won the league this year against Pats, remembered me and was straight over to offer his congratulations. So I would have to disagree with you both. Also think he's pretty good on the LOI podcast

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Must say I'm delighted by the amount of neutrals and casual football fans that have said to me what a good game it was and that the atmosphere was great even on the telly. Lets hope it inspires a few of them to start going t games

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post

I first met him in Warsaw, seemed a really nice guy. Didn't meet him again until after we won the league this year against Pats, remembered me and was straight over to offer his congratulations. So I would have to disagree with you both. Also think he's pretty good on the LOI podcast
    he also produces the Galway Utd programme . how he gets the time I dont know. I have done pieces for him on Galway programme and speaks well. he used to be involved with galway utd fanzine also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Does it matter?

My opinion is based on the tripe that comes out of his mouth on the radio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Does it matter?

My opinion is based on the tripe that comes out of his mouth on the radio.
    No such thing as 'bad publicity' would no agree with many of his soundbytes but at least he has an interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    agreed , anyone who takes an interest in the LOI has to be given the benefit of the doubt......except Bohs fans obviously

Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast