Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Cork won the match on Sunday 99 flares to Dundalk’s 65 or it looked that way to me. Went with my grown up son to the game. First time for either of us at an FAI Cup Final. Unreal atmosphere. Decided to side with Dundalk on the day only because of Athlone man Robbie Benson. Decent lad and from a great musical family. I had the pleasure of recording his mother and sister a few times playing traditional tunes. Don’t know if he plays any instrument himself but I‘d say he could turn a hand to anything like that if it was his wont. He had a good game and unlucky not to score.
    Brilliant craic from both set of fans. Was sitting in front of a bevvy of Dutch men who were there for the weekend. They were Ajax supporters and of all the players that caught their eye they thought Duffy was the standout participant and always willing to take a man on.
    Really funny comment from a Dundalk man behind us who said something to the effect that Cork had risen about their station and needed to be taken down a peg. Sure weren’t both clubs scraping the bottom of the barrel within the last decade or so?
    Watched the game back on the player. The Referee was very consistent and his team of officials must be praised for an excellent performance.
    Was sitting behind a lad who was the spit of Bradley the Rovers manager. I would actually venture to think it is on the mind of Dundalk that if they can keep the current setup intact they could gain on Shamrock Rovers’ cup record.
    With a greater marketing push I daresay the numbers might push 35,000 next year as the buzz from this year will encourage a great many schoolboy/girl clubs to attend and tons of neutrals. Having been without live football for so long I was on a high yesterday still after the game.
    Congratulations Dundalk and commiserations to Cork City. Great value for money. Total trip cost including meals ticket and travel for us both just €125.
    Great neutral report on the match.

Watched the match back earlier and have to say that RTÉ really gave it the full BIG match treatment.Production was top class,excellent pundits.Thought Pat Fenlon was v.good,on the ball for everything and very fair on co-commentary.

RTÉ might be getting themselves together like!
    Soccer Republic last night,Johnny McDonnell and everyone else excellent but will someone have a word with "top class" Pat morley and move him on to another pasture ffs!

Could this be a first on Foot.ie? = RTÉ doing good.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    For all the bickering between all the clubs on here there is one thing that stands out. Fans of most clubs seem to be quite happy and fairly good at having a laugh at themselves and their club. With the exception of Rovers fans. You lot have got to be the most miserable shower on here by a long way. It must be what happens when "perennial also-rans" mixes with "delusions of grandeur".

With the exception of sbgawa who seems a decent sort overall.
    If people were actually funny and not just spouting ****e they genuinely believe to be true then I'd happily laugh at some of the stuff we've done down the years. The vast majority of stuff posted by non rovers fans here about rovers falls under the ****e that they genuinely believe to be true and you have to shoot that down or it spreads and more people begin to think its true because nobody said it wasn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post

Watched the match back earlier and have to say that RTÉ really gave it the full BIG match treatment.Production was top class,excellent pundits.Thought Pat Fenlon was v.good,on the ball for everything and very fair on co-commentary.

Soccer Republic last night,Johnny McDonnell and everyone else excellent but will someone have a word with "top class" Pat morley and move him on to another pasture ffs!

Its ok, they are getting slated for their team of the year over on our forum so the world is not completely out of balance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    If people were actually funny and not just spouting ****e they genuinely believe to be true then I'd happily laugh at some of the stuff we've done down the years. The vast majority of stuff posted by non rovers fans here about rovers falls under the ****e that they genuinely believe to be true and you have to shoot that down or it spreads and more people begin to think its true because nobody said it wasn't.
    ring me hun

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Its ok, they are getting slated for their team of the year over on our forum so the world is not completely out of balance.
    I'm usually a keen follower over there.To busy today though to have a snoot.Can imagine though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Can we just move this to the greatest league in the world thread?? You dont think you are sounding a little paranoid RH?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Actually on the team of the year can someone explain why Soccer Republic included Darragh Leahy?

The excuse they gave for not including Kieran Sadlier was that he was "in and out of the team". He played in 35 of our 36 league games, starting 27. He also started every cup game and scored in all but one (the Semi Final Replay). Four players in the team played fewer games than him. Burke (22), Hoare (27), Gartland (22) and Leahy (24 - one sub appearance) so clearly he played enough games to justify selection, and his peers felt he was good enough. He scored 26 goals across all competitions and was the second highest goal scorer in the league.

I don't agree with all their selections but I think you can make an argument for each of the above except for Leahy. I'd have McLoughlin in ahead of Gartland and Hoare but I wouldn't be overly upset with their selection. I think Burke was pretty good before he left, and he earned an Irish call up so I'll give them a pass there even if he wouldn't make my team but I can't understand the logic behind the selection of Leahy.

He didn't play all that many games, he started 6 games in which Bohs kept clean sheets and they actually conceded marginally fewer goals per game when he wasn't playing (1.26 vs 1.23). The only argument I can think of is Bohs had that good run to end the season, and they were struggling for a left back and included him as a sort of token but as far as I can tell he didn't play a league game after August 31st so he wasn't exactly key to that run. He did play in the two cup semi finals so there's that at least. Surely they could have picked one of the best left backs in the league at Rovers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts

10. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post

I saw a bit in the build up with Stuey Byrne and Alan Cawley and thought they were atrocious. Whatever they may know about football.. they know zero about what goes into running an LOI club. Except that spending more will solve everything.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I saw a bit in the build up with Stuey Byrne and Alan Cawley and thought they were atrocious. Whatever they may know about football.. they know zero about what goes into running an LOI club. Except that spending more will solve everything.
    They were talking about investment in clubs and how well some clubs have done from it.

Of course some people and some clubs are adverse to any kind of progress unless its within their rules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Actually on the team of the year can someone explain why Soccer Republic included Darragh Leahy?

The excuse they gave for not including Kieran Sadlier was that he was "in and out of the team". He played in 35 of our 36 league games, starting 27. He also started every cup game and scored in all but one (the Semi Final Replay). Four players in the team played fewer games than him. Burke (22), Hoare (27), Gartland (22) and Leahy (24 - one sub appearance) so clearly he played enough games to justify selection, and his peers felt he was good enough. He scored 26 goals across all competitions and was the second highest goal scorer in the league.

I don't agree with all their selections but I think you can make an argument for each of the above except for Leahy. I'd have McLoughlin in ahead of Gartland and Hoare but I wouldn't be overly upset with their selection. I think Burke was pretty good before he left, and he earned an Irish call up so I'll give them a pass there even if he wouldn't make my team but I can't understand the logic behind the selection of Leahy.

He didn't play all that many games, he started 6 games in which Bohs kept clean sheets and they actually conceded marginally fewer goals per game when he wasn't playing (1.26 vs 1.23). The only argument I can think of is Bohs had that good run to end the season, and they were struggling for a left back and included him as a sort of token but as far as I can tell he didn't play a league game after August 31st so he wasn't exactly key to that run. He did play in the two cup semi finals so there's that at least. Surely they could have picked one of the best left backs in the league at Rovers?
    To me the Team of the Year needs no thinking about, it is the league winners. These pundit choices of the 'best IX' tend to be full of sharing the wealth, bias for their clubs or favoured players etc. The only type of team like this that has any merit is the one voted for by fellow players.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/11/2018 at 7:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    If you knew where the stadium announcer was you'd realise why he wouldn't be able to see the back of players' shirts. Although I do concede he probably wouldn't have bothered reading out their names anyway, but it's nice that it's important to you.
    Nice AND important that everyone see the scumbags masquerading as SRFC nua 😁 for what they are.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Nice AND important that everyone see the scumbags masquerading as SRFC nua  for what they are.
    Ah, look, I enjoy the rivalry with Bohs and enjoy laughing at them as much as anyone, but I've never been so vexed as to regard any of them as 'scumbags,' not least over something as trivial as a volunteer not memorising the faces of some teenage boys he's never seen before. I'm no fan of Bohs but I'm sure the people involved in the club are genuine people doing their best to improve their club and promote football in their community, as I'm sure is the case as at every Irish club. So I'll just leave it at that.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts

The excuse they gave for not including Kieran Sadlier was that he was "in and out of the team". He played in 35 of our 36 league games, starting 27. He also started every cup game and scored in all but one (the Semi Final Replay). Four players pin the team played fewer games than him. Burke (22), Hoare (27), Gartland (22) and Leahy (24 - one sub appearance) so clearly he played enough games to justify selection, and his peers felt he was good enough. He scored 26 goals across all competitions and was the second highest goal scorer in the league.

As good a talent as young McLoughlin is, there is no way he was getting into the selection picked by SR over either Hoare or Gartland. He had a good season but he didnt excel over the experience of Gartland or the emergence / improvement of Hoare, both had dominating seasons and were equally effective in the opposition box.

I have to say i do like Sean McLaughlin though, he's a fine player.

To be fair I would have had Sadlier in the team, ridiculous a player of his talent left out by the SR pundits.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    As good a talent as young McLoughlin is, there is no way he was getting into the selection picked by SR over either Hoare or Gartland. He had a good season but he didnt excel over the experience of Gartland or the emergence / improvement of Hoare, both had dominating seasons and were equally effective in the opposition box.

I have to say i do like Sean McLaughlin though, he's a fine player.

To be fair I would have had Sadlier in the team, ridiculous a player of his talent left out by the SR pundits.
    I think there's an interesting point to be made between Sadlier and Gartland. Both have spent time on the bench this year because they presumably weren't performing the way their manager wanted, but I think there's a different perception.

Sadlier scored a lot of goals but he's been in and out of the team as you get the feeling Caulfield never fully trusted him. Gartland had his tough period at the start of the season and wasn't preferred, but he came back and has been outstanding this season.

You'd think if Gartland had been out of the team in August as opposed to March, there'd be a very different perception of his season even if he'd have missed as many games in either scenario.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Gartland was out of the team at start of the season for ages cause he was sick not dropped! When the Dundalk players all got flu, he got it worse. Was bed riden and unable eat for 2 weeks and lost a load weight.
    As soon as he was fit, he was back in

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    Gartland was out of the team at start of the season for ages cause he was sick not dropped! When the Dundalk players all got flu, he got it worse. Was bed riden and unable eat for 2 weeks and lost a load weight.
    As soon as he was fit, he was back in
    Ah, fair enough. I didn't know that so withdraw my point. But I suppose it still shows that showing the number of games played doesn't tell the whole story, as he played less but still had a huge effect.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ah, fair enough. I didn't know that so withdraw my point. But I suppose it still shows that showing the number of games played doesn't tell the whole story, as he played less but still had a huge effect.
    You will find alot of fans were surprised when he got back in, many expected him to be 4th choice even behind Folan (hasnt worked out for him so some reason after a alrightish start)

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    you might think its bad enough after discussing the soccer republic team of season what about the first divisions? scandalous there wasnt any harps players in it at all. we had two I though one was enough considering we missed out on the playoffs!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts

I would have had Sheppard in ahead of Burke. Sadlier played a lot games but mostly seemed to be on the margins of games. Sheppard is Cork's stand out player. McLaughlin had a good season, but was never going to get the nod over Gartland and Hoare.

Ridiculous that the second best team in the division is unrepresented in the team of the year.

25. Thanks From:

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast