Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Should have had your own people monitoring the home turnstiles ?
    They absolutely should. Every club should at every cup game.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Sheppard wouldn't fit in to the bohs dressing room. His all about me/I'm the man attitude is in stark contrast to the team spirit in the Boh's camp. Admittedly none of our players are as good at the diving as he is.
    And what about him gives you even the faintest idea he's like that at all?

What a load on nonsense

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    They absolutely should. Every club should at every cup game.
    Exactly.

Also - as the FAI get a cut of gate receipts, why would they agree with a figure which wasn't accurate ? They're not exactly known for not wanting money, now, are they ?

If you're going to disagree with the attendance figure given by the home side and agreed by the FAI, then have your own people on the turnstiles to disprove it. If you're not prepared to do that, then don't cry about it with your own made up numbers.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Nerds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Sheppard wouldn't fit in to the bohs dressing room. His all about me/I'm the man attitude is in stark contrast to the team spirit in the Boh's camp. Admittedly none of our players are as good at the diving as he is.

As regards Sheppard.
    Some of the abuse he has received from some Bohs fans over the past few weeks has been vile to say the least & I for one don't blame him one bit for celebrating like he did when he scored.
    If you can't take it then don't give it out.

Should have had your own people monitoring the home turnstiles ?
    Admission to the ground is by ticket only & all tickets have to be accounted for whether sold or not.
    All tickets coming into Turners Cross are scanned no matter what their source.
    No cash is taken at the turnstiles.EVER.
    There is a ticket hut on the Curragh Road where tickets can be bought as well as various premises around the city.
    Long gone are the days when you could roll up & just put your money on the turnstile as you went in.
    I'm not sure what its like at other LOI grounds but if you leave Turners Cross during a game you are not allowed in again.
    Some of our fans had a problem with that as they couldn't go out for a half time pint

A few of us are going to the Cross for many years & at this stage we have a good idea of what the attendance might be.
    I thought it was just about over 4k myself as there were several gaps around the ground so I wasn't far out.
    If 4119 tickets were scanned last night then that was the attendance.
    I actually thought there might be more at the game but then we had just over 3k at last years semi final against Limerick so maybe not such a surprise.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I thought Bohs dealt very well with Cork's long punting of the ball in previous games between the sides. However, last night they couldn't deal with the aerial bombardment. Was the strong wind a factor?
    The absence of Dan Casey at CB would have hampered Bohs a lot. He's their best player in the air by some distance. He's a v old school CB actually, thrives on winning big headers and the physical stuff.

Dan Kelly is a massive outlet for Bohs too (as proved by their better form since he arrived) so without him they looked blunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    The last two finals were decent spectacles I thought. 2015 was dreadful alright.
    No coincidence that Cork lost that one and won the others.....

Maybe the endings have been dramatic but on a whole as football matches they have been poor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I was down to the Dundalk game on 21/09 and the crowd given was around 4,200. I only remember as I noted after all the fuss, it was only 100 more than the last game between the 2 at oriel park.

Last night looked to be a good bit more than the Dundalk game, I would have estimated having been there, around 4,500 min.

Decent second half by Bohs and what a strike for their goal, but Cork were def better on the night and were decent in the first half. They seem to play better without McCormack, always thinks he slows them down.

So will we see a goal for the first time in 90 mins in the cup final between the two ? Almost beside myself with the excitement already................
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    The Dundalk figure was inflated by non attending season ticket holders. We've been calling it out on our forum all year. We've clearly made a change to the way we announce figures this year. Probably for sponsorship reasons. Cup attendances don't have to consider ST holders so wouldn't be inflated.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It's bitterness like this that made winning last night even sweeter.

You're right that Shep wouldn't fit in at the Bohs' dressing room, given he would probably have more league and cup winners medals than the rest of them combined.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

We're all off to Lansdowne! Agricultural football FTW! YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    In terms of contemplating how unlikely it is that the two teams would get to 4 finals in a row you have to consider the likelihood of them winning 16 rounds each as part of the spectrum of "unlikelihood"
    I actually think the credit both teams deserve for winning 16 cup rounds is diluted by the perception that it is just the luck of the draw that has kept them apart.
    It is an unbelievable achievement and is a thousands to one shot of ever happening again.
    If you asked Paddypower to give you odds on predicting the next 4 cup winners it would be in the range of 75 to 1 minimum and that would be if the favourite won every year at 3 to 1.
    I might be tired of it but I recognise it as an unbelievable achievement
    That's an entirely different thing to what we stsrted out with though- that it was a 'bizarre' sequence of draws that kept the 2 apart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshead View Post
    It's bitterness like this that made winning last night even sweeter.

You're right that Shep wouldn't fit in at the Bohs' dressing room, given he would probably have more league and cup winners medals than the rest of them combined.
    Sheppard is a good player and a great servant to Cork but he gets a serious free pass from Cork fans. He shopped himself to Cork's main rivals and requested that nothing be said about it until he had left. I would not be too accepting of that from a Dundalk player. That his plans were outed and he hence changed is mind and the controversy at the time seems to have distracted away from him being quite underhanded about a move. If he was a chap of complete integrity he'd have told his manager that he was faced with a family issue and may have to move clubs. The opporrtunity to point at Kenny's poor attempt at mind games has disguised Sheppard's role in that affair. Not positive trait for a clubs player to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Think Sheppard is one of those players that must play at the edge of his wits to get the best out of himself and sometimes it spills over. There's definitely been times where he's given the big one to Pats supporters after games where I've been confused because (as far as I could tell, anyway) he hadn't really gotten any abuse to justify it, considering Cork usually have a couple of ex-Pats lads in there to take the brunt of it instead of him. Seems to be a bit of a common theme with him, though I am of the mind that football fans who get up in arms about this sort of thing are being a bit soft. Bohs supporters that dished out insults to him all week don't really have grounds to complain that they got a bit back, comes with the territory.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Sheppard is a good player and a great servant to Cork but he gets a serious free pass from Cork fans. He shopped himself to Cork's main rivals and requested that nothing be said about it until he had left. I would not be too accepting of that from a Dundalk player. That his plans were outed and he hence changed is mind and the controversy at the time seems to have distracted away from him being quite underhanded about a move. If he was a chap of complete integrity he'd have told his manager that he was faced with a family issue and may have to move clubs. The opporrtunity to point at Kenny's poor attempt at mind games has disguised Sheppard's role in that affair. Not positive trait for a clubs player to have.
    Still banging on about Shep? Facking hell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I wanted Bohs to win because I support them. That's my interesting/controversial observation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    No coincidence that Cork lost that one and won the others.....
    thats the joke.jpg

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Just to clarify the maths:
    Round 1, 32 teams. 31 possible opponents. 30/31 chance of avoiding each other, i.e. 96.8%.
    Round 2, 16 teams. 15 possible opponents. 14/15 chance of avoiding each other. 93.3%. Chances of avoiding each other in round 1 and round 2 is 93.3% of 96.8%, i.e. 90.3%
    QF, 8 teams, 7 possible opponents. 6/7 chance of avoiding each other, 85.6%. Chance of avoiding each other in first 3 rounds = 96.8% x 93.3% x 85.6% = 80%
    Semis, 4 team, 3 possible opponents, 66.7% chance of avoiding each other. So overall a 57.1% chance of avoiding each other for a season.
    Four seasons in a row that's 57.1% x 57.1% x 57.1% x 57.1%, a 10.7% chance. Unlikely, but hardly significant.
    You've got a sum wrong there btw - 96.8%*93.3%*85.6% = 77.3%, not 80.0%

Means your chances of getting to the final are 51.6%, not 57.1%, and your chances of getting to four finals in a row are 7.1%, not 10.7% (which ties in with my figures then)

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    There's no need to make an assumption that there's a 90% chance of each club progressing, or anything else, we know there's a 100% chance that each club progressed each time as we're looking at past data.
    I think there is a need to make it. It shows how much of the effect is down to how well the two teams are actually playing. So if, as I noted, it's 80% certain that both Dundalk and Cork to win each match - which is very short odds (1/4), even with no draw option - then the vaguely plausible odds of 7.1% become the tiny odds of 0.03%.

In that case, the real surprise is not that they've not met in the last four years, it's that no-one has beaten them.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Admission to the ground is by ticket only & all tickets have to be accounted for whether sold or not.
    All tickets coming into Turners Cross are scanned no matter what their source.
    No cash is taken at the turnstiles.EVER.
    There is a ticket hut on the Curragh Road where tickets can be bought as well as various premises around the city.
    Long gone are the days when you could roll up & just put your money on the turnstile as you went in.
    That's all good know - but in no way does any of it rule out a visiting club having people on the turnstiles counting fans who go in if they fear getting diddled on the gate receipts. Whether they're entering via cash, ticket or magic beans, you still count the people - not the payment method.

Again - the fact the FAI had no problem with the figure completely undermines any claims that it is widely inaccurate IMO.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    That's all good know - but in no way does any of it rule out a visiting club having people on the turnstiles counting fans who go in if they fear getting diddled on the gate receipts. Whether they're entering via cash, ticket or magic beans, you still count the people - not the payment method.

Again - the fact the FAI had no problem with the figure completely undermines any claims that it is widely inaccurate IMO.
    3,000 empty seats last night according to the official figure.!!!
    Yeah, Bohs fault we were diddled.Thought the days of having an away club observer at every turnstile days were gone.

Page 32 of 47 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast