Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Its just lazy analysis thats all - After we beat Derry 5-0, Bray (3-0 up after 30 mins) and the great away win in Waterford in July / August - no one was questioning our tactics at that stage. But for whatever reason - we haven't won a game in the league since. I reckon the Rosenborg games really knocked our confidence and we have struggled badly since then - but form is temporary - and its hard to take this sort of rubbish from perennial relegation candidates just because they have gone on a decent run. I like watching Bohs and id love to see them win the IRN BRU - but spare us the superiority complex.
    Cork really do play a dreadful brand of football. Watching that hoofball every week must be soul destroying stuff. How can a full time team, with such a big budget sign players to play such a limited and negative brand of long ball football. If it wasn't for set pieces they would never score based on their last two games against Bohs

It was never a penalty. Both players had their feet swinging for the ball at the same height, but because the Bohs player plays the ball and Cork player kick's him it's a penalty. Joke of decison. The sad part is although the ref got dogs abuse, neither he or the linesman were going to give the penalty. It was the waste of space official behind the goal who signalled for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Cork really do play a dreadful brand of football. Watching that hoofball every week must be soul destroying stuff. How can a full time team, with such a big budget sign players to play such a limited and negative brand of long ball football. If it wasn't for set pieces they would never score based on their last two games against Bohs

It was never a penalty. Both players had their feet swinging for the ball at the same height, but because the Bohs player plays the ball and Cork player kick's him it's a penalty. Joke of decison. The sad part is although the ref got dogs abuse, neither he or the linesman were going to give the penalty. It was the waste of space official behind the goal who signalled for it.
    Just to point out that both of our goals in the 4-2 defeat to Bohs a few weeks back were from open play. Both headers. This post just re-inforces the lazy narrative that is out there about us - we don't play football to the extent that Dundalk do so we are branded as a long ball team as a result.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Comedy gold from Conor McCarthy on rte website. I used to think Neymar was the biggest baby on a football pitch. Not anymore....

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...erious-injury/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Just to point out that both of our goals in the 4-2 defeat to Bohs a few weeks back were from open play. Both headers. This post just re-inforces the lazy narrative that is out there about us - we don't play football to the extent that Dundalk do so we are branded as a long ball team as a result.
    Sorry 1st was from a corner that wasn't cleared. I can only base cork's tactics on what I see and I saw ALOT of long ball in the 2 bohs games (also Dundalk on tv). If Cork don't play the long ball game as you claim, then what is their style of play because I couldn't see any other tactic in the bohs games or against Dundalk and at this is at the end of the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    if you think pointing out the hoofball tactics everyone saw yesterday is 'lazy narrative' then try taking your Cork goggles off. Cork are a big physical team and tried to use that by hoofing the ball up, and for the first 30 minutes or so it worked.Once Bohs copped on to that they had little or nothing to offer and, yes, as a spectacle it is appalling to watch.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Some laugh at Bohs fans looking down their noses at City after 10 good games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    if you think pointing out the hoofball tactics everyone saw yesterday is 'lazy narrative' then try taking your Cork goggles off. Cork are a big physical team and tried to use that by hoofing the ball up, and for the first 30 minutes or so it worked.Once Bohs copped on to that they had little or nothing to offer and, yes, as a spectacle it is appalling to watch.
    I thought we mixed up our play ok in the first half yesterday - second best by a long way in the 2nd. Bohs are a fine footballing side and yes we have been disappointing of late. Repeating myself now - making a spectacle of myself! Like FC Cork Dons - which is what I expect the next reincarnation of football here will be called.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I thought we mixed up our play ok in the first half yesterday - second best by a long way in the 2nd. Bohs are a fine footballing side and yes we have been disappointing of late. Repeating myself now - making a spectacle of myself! Like FC Cork Dons - which is what I expect the next reincarnation of football here will be called.
    well, they have gone through A LOT of names down South.

Anyway, advantage Cork, but still game on for the replay.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    . I hope we win three cup finals to stuff it to those who are constantly sticking it to us as the way we play
    Not for the joy of winning a major trophy?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Cork fans have had the joy sucked out of them long ago watching that style of football every week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityBoy View Post
    Some laugh at Bohs fans looking down their noses at City after 10 good games.
    Commenting on your appalling version of football is not 'looking down' at Cork city, it is simply stating a fact irrespective of who the observer supports. would it be OK for a Dundalk fan to point out the obvious ? and do let us know what is the criteria required to pass comment on a particular teams style ? I thought that was what a football forum was about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    As well like

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    What`s the due date for the overblown Forum row on away tickets for the replay? Just trying to sort out my work schedule this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    What`s the due date for the overblown Forum row on away tickets for the replay? Just trying to sort out my work schedule this week.
    Looks like Bohs allocation will sell out late Thursday. There will be an initial refusal for extra tickets probably early Friday so expect the faeces to hit the fan Friday evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Given how a cork victory will take the pressure off us in terms of qualifying for the euro millions I reckon we won't be kicking any of you boys on Friday in Tallaght.
    Gentle bit of pushing and shoving allowed but nothing to strenuous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    At least that clears up what the players were looking at for the corner. It was firework rockets I assume were let off?

The penalty is a wierd one. I called penalty straight away on first view but my wife on first view said no way for a peno he got the ball. I tended to agree with her once I watched the replay. However the idea of studs up does change the equation a lot.

That said I thought Cork were lucky to get away with a fair bit of off the ball fouling in the first 30 minutes.

I thought it hilarious that the Bohs player who got man of the match (his name escapes me at the minute) described Cork as a hoof the ball type team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I gotta say Bohs played plenty of long ball stuff too at times yesterday, altho it was nearly all from Casey - the rest of the back 4 generally try to pass it out unless they're under major pressure to get rid.

Casey seems a bit uncomfortable with the ball at his feel so has a tendency to hoof. But he's probably not instructed to do it as much as he does. I saw Buckley giving him a bollocking for it on more than one occassion...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Foot in the air, studs up, definite penalty, "he got the ball" as said before is irrelevant.

Bohs have only themselves to blame - created plenty chances to win the game and didn't take them.

We battled hard but will be up against it again next Monday for sure. I hope we win three cup finals to stuff it to those who are constantly sticking it to us as the way we play - we are direct but there are some around who are totally blinkered as if its 1990 Wimbledon they are watching.
    It's exactly 1990 Wimbledon. Plough Lane and all. Turgid, dire, utterly one dimensional. Trappatoni meets O'Neill minus quality players. Leading goalscorer on 12 goals. Only one tactic - lump balls at him continuously ala Walter/ Long for Ireland.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 01/10/2018 at 3:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Thought it was a penalty myself at first but it's seemingly done the closest thing to finding a grey area in the rules going off of the widespread debate and that 50/50 poll Soccer Republic or whoever it was had up. One of those where I'd shout for it if it was for me but throw a wobbler if it was against me, but it's a poor decision from Leahy regardless to go in the way he did in this day and age.

Absolute robbery anyway for Cork to get out of there with a replay all the same, Bohs should have already made it so the penalty would have been irrelevant.
    Last edited by Jack B; 01/10/2018 at 3:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Genuine question for a Cork fan, whatever people say about the way Cork play (I think the hoofball thing is overdone but they are def not UCD) they haven't changed the way they play in the last couple of months but results have tailed off badly.
    What has happened in the last couple of months to change things so markedly ? or is it just a bad run full stop

Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast