Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I love going to Dalymount and the atmosphere last night was great. We were awful again, it's depressing. The sum-of-the-parts should be better than that. On a positive note, we were the better side for the first 30 minutes. We were totally flat in the second half with no obvious game plan throughout. Alas, we're still there and the game must now finish at Turners Cross which is an absolutely huge advantage.

The penalty was correct if you apply the law. But I'd feel aggrieved too if the shoe was on the other foot. Probably more so towards the player for the sheer stupidity of the challenge.

And our guy with the ****ing rocket launcher. Cop the **** on!
    Probably a peno Leahy wasn't in full control of tackle even thoughhe got the ball.
    Last move of the match also looked a peno to me but Rogers was never going to give it.
    Pressure will all be on Cork in the replay, as long as it's a football match rather than the usual hoof fest down there , Bohs have a chance.Should have about 500 travelling fans down so athmo will be good.
    Agreed, smoke and flares are one thing but firing rockets was crazy , how the psychopath could fire off 3/4 of them and not be stopped is hard to fathom.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Agreed, smoke and flares are one thing but firing rockets was crazy , how the psychopath could fire off 3/4 of them and not be stopped is hard to fathom.
    I've never seen anything like it before. It was totally wreckless. If you do that on the street you're doing prison time. If one of those hit a fan or a player it could kill them. I can't get my head around the sheer stupidity of people sometimes.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Mccarthy's leg collided with the Leahy studs pointed in the air - he was lucky not to be badly injured. It was reckless at worst, careless at best. I can't for the life of me see the issue - but i would say that I suppose.
    Flip it around - McCarthy kicked Leahy so hard he injured himself. Should be a free out.

I think the defender was entitled to go for the ball; he was clearly playing for it, he nicked it quite cleanly away from the attacker (who was a defender, but let's not bring that confusion into it!) and made no contact whatsoever with the Cork player. It definitely wasn't careless; I think it was actually a very careful nick to deflect the ball cleanly away.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Flip it around - McCarthy kicked Leahy so hard he injured himself. Should be a free out.

I think the defender was entitled to go for the ball; he was clearly playing for it, he nicked it quite cleanly away from the attacker (who was a defender, but let's not bring that confusion into it!) and made no contact whatsoever with the Cork player. It definitely wasn't careless; I think it was actually a very careful nick to deflect the ball cleanly away.
    That is my issue. All the charges of carelessness could also be levied at McCarthy.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts

You can argue that the Cork player was the one who caused the contact more than the Bohs player alright, as he was really swinging his boot forward.

But for me it doesn't matter, as it doesn't matter that he was going for the ball, and even that he got the ball, because it's going to be considered dangerous play.

Once you go in high (and it was high, knee high at least) with your studs up like that, and there is contact, it's going to be considered dangerous play.

I can have a certain amount of sympathy for him as he didn't lunge in or have the whole weight of his body behind him, or have a straight leg with studs up. It did look more like a flick to clear the ball before the Cork player got to it. But regardless, flicking it away in the manner that he did left him with studs up at knee height at the moment of contact, and that is careless - if you are going in high with studs up you'd better be damn careful to avoid any kind of contact, because if it happens, you'll be punished.
    Last edited by osarusan; 01/10/2018 at 10:01 AM.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Wasn't there a fan killed by a flare gun at a Wales match years ago? Absolutely lethal and how someone could be so stupid to bring one to a football match is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    ‘Singing section’ more like ‘whinging section ‘ at the end - never a penalty dreadful decision -
    Shams know all about 'whinging' at Dalymount, the only difference is we didn't sneak out early or abuse our own players at FT .

On the game, great performance by Bohs and with a little more clinical finishing even the (almost guaranteed) officials mess up wouldn't have saved Cork. Expect little better from Rogers, a clown among LOI refs (and that is saying something), talking before the match most just hoped his screw ups, and it was given there would be screw-ups would not be game changers. Never a penalty - anyone would think Delaneys Donkeys (the FAIlures) want another 'dream final' . Cork very poor on the day with little to offer except hoofball, except for first 20 minutes or so and once Bohs got going they were the betr team until Rogers intervened.

Still all to play for in the replay but advantage Cork thanks to the buffoon in black.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I've never seen anything like it before. It was totally wreckless. If you do that on the street you're doing prison time. If one of those hit a fan or a player it could kill them. I can't get my head around the sheer stupidity of people sometimes.
    I thought you were talking about the penalty incident with this. I was wondering what the hell incident you were watching!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    if you are going in high with studs up you'd better be damn careful to avoid any kind of contact, because if it happens, you'll be punished.
    He was careful to avoid any kind of contact. In fact, he did. It can hardly be his fault that the other player kicked him, can it?

Bring the challenge down two feet (excuse the pun!) It's a clean sliding tackle and the attacker kicks him. Free out surely?

I get that there's an issue of not just what the tackle did, but what it could do, and so a proper lunge could be a red even if there's no contact. But for me, that was a very careful and clean nick on the ball to get it clear of danger, with no real chance of causing any injury to the attacker (who injured himself)

Though it is at times like this you'd like to see more referees on commentary panels - or at least have co-commentators who have done a refereeing course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Foot in the air, studs up, definite penalty, "he got the ball" as said before is irrelevant.

Bohs have only themselves to blame - created plenty chances to win the game and didn't take them.

We battled hard but will be up against it again next Monday for sure. I hope we win three cup finals to stuff it to those who are constantly sticking it to us as the way we play - we are direct but there are some around who are totally blinkered as if its 1990 Wimbledon they are watching.
    Cork player kicked HIM, that irrelevant too ? he cleared the ball and the Cork player kicked through him, never a penalty and the lack of any great shout from the players pretty much proved it. Cork did well to hang in the match or Rogers screw up would be irrelevant, and yes, their brand of football is little better then Wimbledon 1990. It works for them but it is still a blight on the game as a spectacle.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    He was careful to avoid any kind of contact. In fact, he did.
    There was contact, so he obviously didn't avoid it. They are both responsible for the contact, by both putting their feet in that position. The difference is that one had studs up and one didn't. He beat the Cork player to the ball by a fraction of a second, with the contact coming another fraction later - nowhere near enough to say that his tackle was clean and he avoided contact and that his part in things just ends there.

Bring the tackle down two feet* and now a sliding flicked toepoke away doesn't come with studs up. Cork player makes contact with the defender's toe, not his studs. It's probably a corner. Possibly a free out.

(*which would mean the tackle is at least 2 feet off the ground, and definitely high enough to be dangerous)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Cork also cannot play as bad again, and they will have a packed stadium behind them.
    We keep thinking that and keep proving ourselves wrong. Actually thought we play well first half. Second half was a shambles.

Also, no chance of a full house on a Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Cork player kicked HIM, that irrelevant too ? he cleared the ball and the Cork player kicked through him, never a penalty and the lack of any great shout from the players pretty much proved it. Cork did well to hang in the match or Rogers screw up would be irrelevant, and yes, their brand of football is little better then Wimbledon 1990. It works for them but it is still a blight on the game as a spectacle.
    No shout from players? Come off it ffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Its like we watched two completely different incidents. Its probably best I step away due to bias at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    . It works for them but it is still a blight on the game as a spectacle.
    This is the sort of b0ll0cksology that I'm talking about - a blight on the game! Ridiculous.

Bohs have gone on a decent run for a few months and they are branding themselves the saviors of football all of a sudden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts

Bohs have gone on a decent run for a few months and they are branding themselves the saviors of football all of a sudden.
    They were a joy to watch yesterday, as were UCD on Friday.

Cork showed good industry in the first 30 minutes of the game but no one enjoys looking at a team constantly punting the ball 60 yards up the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    They were a joy to watch yesterday, as were UCD on Friday.

Cork showed good industry in the first 30 minutes of the game but no one enjoys looking at a team constantly punting the ball 60 yards up the pitch.
    Hey listen - you don't have to tell me how we play - I have to watch us every week! But seriously teams string a few passes together and its 70s Ajax - UCD didn't have a shot at goal last Friday. In fairness it was a good effort from them. Bohs fans getting all high and mighty at us it just a bit much. We are in a bit of rut at the moment but we haven't been playing like that all the time yet we are now " a blight on the game " FFS!

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    This is the sort of b0ll0cksology that I'm talking about - a blight on the game! Ridiculous.

Nope, just expect highly paid, full time footballers to have a little more than hoofing the ball up the pitch.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    After nearly 1700 votes on the soccer republic twitter poll it's 50/50 pen or no pen. I've just seen it for the first time and I think it's a pen. Any contact with an opponent when studs are up and the foot is that high is going to be a free, doesn't matter that the Cork player kicked him, the Cork player was attacking the ball studs down, Bohs player was studs up. That's a foul to me.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Nope, just expect highly paid, full time footballers to have a little more than hoofing the ball up the pitch.
    Its just lazy analysis thats all - After we beat Derry 5-0, Bray (3-0 up after 30 mins) and the great away win in Waterford in July / August - no one was questioning our tactics at that stage. But for whatever reason - we haven't won a game in the league since. I reckon the Rosenborg games really knocked our confidence and we have struggled badly since then - but form is temporary - and its hard to take this sort of rubbish from perennial relegation candidates just because they have gone on a decent run. I like watching Bohs and id love to see them win the IRN BRU - but spare us the superiority complex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I was hoping Bohs would win as wanted a different team in the final (no offence Cork, but you would be thinking the exact same if vice versa), not even sure Cork deserved a draw really, they were on top first 15, but seemed to struggle after.

The replay should be interesting, had to actually check this am when Cork last won a significant game at home (removing Maynooth), I think it was late July, v Derry, that’s incredible really for defending champions.

Bohs will fancy this still, but Cork will be odds on for sure.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast