Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Athlone. What deaf huck is going on

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Athlone. What deaf huck is going on

I'm not going to criticise the players, if you are playing division 2 in the North East Football league and get asked to play LOI of course you will give it a go, but seriously has there ever been a worse team in the league.
    Two of their squad were playing at the level I mentioned, another, just back from a two year ban for verbally abusing a ref, was playing Major division LSL, buck knows where the rest came from.
    I assume somebody here will tell me there has been teams with worse records, but it is getting a bit ridiculous.
    Losing 7-0 to Shels is bad but going down by the same score to Wexford !
    The off the field ********ology is coming home to roost that's for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    It's a very sad state of affairs and feels similar to the time GUFC had their 100 + goals conceded season, losing 8-0 to Sligo Rovers for example before it all fell apart.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    It's a very sad state of affairs and feels similar to the time GUFC had their 100 + goals conceded season, losing 8-0 to Sligo Rovers for example before it all fell apart.
    At least that was in the Premier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    True.That's about the only difference though. It was a terrible time. You knew by mid-season that every single game was going to be an absolute humiliation before kick off.It looks like the same thing at Athlone.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Even that Kilkenny team with two points all season were more competitive I think?

Funny, Athlone's home record is vaguely respectable, all things considered. Their away one is shocking. Are the players driving to away games?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    They're filling the bench at least. I notice that ET's previews for their matches tend to be missing a lot of info, like injuries, etc, because no one knows.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    The only one with decent LOI experience, Etanda Nkololo left at half time against Longford and never came back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    The only one with decent LOI experience, Etanda Nkololo left at half time against Longford and never came back.
    Aaron O'Callaghan stepped down today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Should never have taken the job. As poisoned a chalice as you can get in this league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Agreed, but someone had to do it, if Roddy couldn't rescue the situation I'd say the ships sunk.
    Pat Byrne is your only man, or on a more serious note, if Andy Noonan brought his entire Bluebell squad down they'd do better.
    But you just know Mickey O'Connor is gonna get it.
    And this is how bad they were against Wexford
    https://www.facebook.com/WexfordFC/v...3MDMyMzczNzc2/
    Last edited by KeepersBall; 22/04/2018 at 4:14 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Jeepers, that goalie!😂😂

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    didn't even know this. that says it all. I would take him in a instant to come back to us and play better than some of the **** on the field.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    that Galway Utd side in 2011 how many points did they get that season does anyone know? That's the second time that Callaghan walked out of Athlone mid season he did that in 04 too.. He did that with us also.. He must have the all time record for walking out of a club mid season!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    that Galway Utd side in 2011 how many points did they get that season does anyone know?
    A grand total of 6 points from 36 games. A win early on in the season against Bohs, and a handful of draws. 20 goals scored, 115 conceded. That was the season a young James McClean scored a 20 yd cracker against us in EDP during one of our 32 defeats.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepersBall View Post
    Agreed, but someone had to do it, if Roddy couldn't rescue the situation I'd say the ships sunk.
    Pat Byrne is your only man, or on a more serious note, if Andy Noonan brought his entire Bluebell squad down they'd do better.
    But you just know Mickey O'Connor is gonna get it.
    And this is how bad they were against Wexford
    https://www.facebook.com/WexfordFC/v...3MDMyMzczNzc2/
    First goal: Forward chasing the ball gives up, defender muscled off the ball, goalie poor.
    Second: Should probably have been a free out.
    Third: Terrible attempted clearance beforehand
    Fourth: Keeper should save.
    Fifth: Ditto.
    Sixth: Definite penalty.
    Seventh: Keeper should save.

Once the third went in Athlone weren't bothered anymore. Hell, you could say that about the third game this season.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Athlone Town’s situation resembles Bray’s in many aspects. A large portion of the board resigned due to disagreements with the Chairman. Not only fans walked out but the long term stewards also took a collective decision to depart. Even some of those in the ticketing office could not work under that regime. And these are the common words bandied about locally: Dictator, Criminal, Incompetent, Hijackers, Destroyers, Threatening & Illegal, I will leave it to your imagination as to whom, who and wither said words are applied. Now there has been a recent legal battle that went in favour of the Chairman. This might bail out the club in terms of finance but it will not bring back those diehards.

The current problems go back as far as 2011 as far as my knowledge goes. However before this there was always problems with the club playing its debts. Now the current people running the club believe having an income off the field in the shape of an all-weather pitch is the way to go. It remains to be seen if and when this will get built. Some doubt it will actually see the light of day. Time will tell.
    As far as on field antics go Athlone was confirmed as all amateur players only, earlier this year. Certain former fans and at least two former committee members have stated that the chairman is pursuing an objective of creating an all amateur club with the desire to sell promising developed young players to England or abroad. The problem lies in the fact that little or no talent is shining through. Promising players who do their research about Athlone would rather opt for the LSL over Athlone. Players feel their names will be blackened by any association with Athlone.

My wife suggested that the players rebelled on Friday and just stopped playing so as to get the manager fired. I think that could be a reasonable assumption, as they were only one down at half time.
    I am only scraping the surface here. It is deeper and a lot worse here with the accusations I have heard about certain people at the club and a detailed accusation from a former youth player. The threat remains that Athlone may step out of the league but how real that is, is anybody’s guess.

Also note I have spoken directly with numerous former committee members, three ex Chairmen and lots of Athlone fans who approached me as I am recognised locally as long term fan who was part of the initial protests outside the ground. No team just refuses to travel without good reason. This is both an FAI and Athlone blackmark.
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

19. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Would love to see an organised group of Athlone Town fans get together to pressure for change. It's a members club at least in theory and there has to be a way to get control if people work together.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    My wife suggested that the players rebelled on Friday and just stopped playing so as to get the manager fired. I think that could be a reasonable assumption, as they were only one down at half time.
    Strange to bring the manager into it, no?

I would have thought Callaghan would have been better than Athlone could reasonably have expected in terms of a manager.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Never thought I’d say this but I think most Longford fans would be in agreement, I’d love to see joint protests at upcoming games. Home and away fans demanding the current regime out of the club. Then again I suppose the counter argument to that is more fans = more money for a clearly incompetent leadership and if they are too leave what state will they leave the club in if salvable at all. Then again i think most athlone fans would rather see the club fold at this point than continue in its current form.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    It could just as easily be us in that situation in that, when you get down to it, we’re also at the mercy of one man. Thankfully our chairman has been supporting the club in all senses of the word for the past twenty years almost.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast