Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: VAR Discussion

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,513 Posts
    I imagine they want it clearly away from the players. If the screen was around the goal, they'd probably all crowd around it.

There's also the risk the ball could hit the screen if it were behind the goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    356 Posts
    UEFA's current plan to use VAR, from the final qualifying round on, from next season for CPL, then season after for Europa League: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...var-from-2019/
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,513 Posts
    Hmm. How's that going to affect LoI clubs? Who's going to supply the extra camera angles, or will refs be looking at a replay a la MNS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    356 Posts
    VAR confirmed for CPL 19/20 and Euro 2020: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...m-next-season/

I presume 2020 will be the first time it will be used in Ireland? Unless LOI clubs advance far enough in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    356 Posts
    Confirmed for EPL from next season: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...e-next-season/

I think it's fair to say the debate, in terms of "Should it be implemented?", is essentially over, and it's now "How do we make it better?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    356 Posts
    UEFA bump up VAR implementation, it will now start from the knock-out stages of this year's CPL and Europa League: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018...ar-technology/

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Interesting.

There must be some rules in terms of minimum number and quality of cameras. Is the onus on the home team to supply them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    356 Posts
    Pochettino has become the media's favourite anti-VAR commenter, but makes a strange claim here I think (aside from "Literally nobody likes VAR!", which is becoming a repeated thing from some media sources): https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...o-wary-of-var/

Did a load of fans leave that Spurs/Rochdale game at half-time? A quick Google search didn't find any reference to that. And if they did was it not because of the awful weather that night, not VAR?

The incident in the first leg of Chelsea/Spurs was strange all the same.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    703 Posts
    Hate VAR
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    I suppose that's because they usually make the right decision. Your fans told everyone exactly what they thought of VAR after the incident, but you had no case. The wrong decision given on the field was put right on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by osarusan
    Yeah, I can't see VAR going away, just being refined as you say.

Some of my thoughts - as the referee has the power to request a VAR review on his own impetus, this leaves him open to endless badgering to do so, as we saw during the world cup. Unless there is a policy that the referee cannot request a VAR review (VAR reviews being a one-way system where the VAR panel make that decision), I cannot think of a good way to stamp that out, apart from just carding it every single time until it goes away, if it ever does.

Until VAR came along, all that hectoring the ref after he had made a decision was pointless - he was hardly going to change his mind. But now, there is a way for him to do so. The hectoring makes more sense than ever.

And more fundamentally, I think there needs to be an examination of what the goal of VAR actually is. Is it to get the big decisions right? Or is it to eliminate some of the worst and most critical referee errors? Because they are not the same thing really.
    It's the first question. This is a tool to help referees, and get injustices corrected there and then. It's not a challenge system for players.

VAR is not going away, it is the future of match officiating, it's going to become the norm soon. It's been introduced to the European Cup next week. Therefore referees will not be standing on the goal line anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    Imagine Ronnie Whelan's goal v the USSR. Hits the back of the net, wild celebrations. Then the ref - in a manner which at best, I think, wasn't very well signed - decides he wants to see if it should be a free out for high feet. There's a pause of 30-45 seconds while the ref looks at it, and then decides to look at the replay. The moment is killed. That's my concern with the VAR as used.
    In those days, there would have been nothing to question. If you won the ball, that's all you needed to do.

Ultimately the only thing that matters is whether it counts or not, so if it takes an extra 30 seconds to confirm the goal is legit, fine. The decisive goal in that tournament was offside, even under the old rules. I wish we had VAR around then to correct the mistake. So we would still be on course to get the point we needed to get out of the group, and I wouldn't be talking about the injustice 30+ years later.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567