Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: VAR Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter
    The general issue I've had with VAR during the WWC has been how slow its been, sometimes for things that should need just one look at replay monitor, if even that. There are plenty of decisions that the VAR official should be able to adjudicate on without the need for the ref to run off the field for minutes at a time.

At the same time, since of the commentary on it, especially from the likes of George Hamilton, has verged close to hysteria. Marginal or not, VAR has spotted things refs and linesmen havent or aren't able to. That semi offside is the perfect example, as was the penalty England botched later in the half.

Refs - especially, if I may dare to say so, female refs - need more time and experience with VAR, so they learn to use it effectively, not excessively, and that it's an assist, not a crutch.
    In fairness, FIFA were in a difficult position. If they allow VAR to be used at the WWC, the refs are criticised for their lack of experience with it. If they don't allow VAR to be used, they're branded "sexist", and all the usual tall tales about discrimination that go with it, for only allowing the Men's WC to have it. In the end, they allowed the Women to use it. And I think that was the right decision.

Referees leave the pitch for up to 30 seconds at a time, not "minutes", so they can see for themselves all the facts around an incident and make an informed judgement based on those facts. Most delays are for the finger to the ear. Sometimes decisions are complex, sometimes 2 or more parts of the same move have to be checked where just 1 decision can be reached. It takes a bit of time sometimes, but it's worth it if the right decision is ultimately made, as is usually the case.

If you thought Hamilton was hysterical, it wasn't a patch on the daily rants against VAR from Paul Dempsey covering the Copa America. Some of these fuddy duddies and luddites just don't get it. It's not a question of if VAR will stay, it's a question of how will it expand and how soon will it do so. This is the way it's going to be from now on. Embrace the positive difference it makes or reminisce about the bad old days. Your choice.

Riley has some welcome comments to make generally, especially on ref's trusting what VAR officials are telling them, but I guess we'll see how likely his "delay of game only once in five matches" will be.
    It's not likely, but he is trying to play the populist line atm and reassure the sceptics, who have been put off VAR by all the negative headlines in the media.

The pace of English football, coupled with all the appeals for penalties and offsides etc, inevitably means most games will see VAR used at some point. Goals will be ruled out that previously stood and vice versa. For or against it though, people are just going to have to get used to it. It's success is judged by how often the final decision is accepted as the correct one. Which will be the case at least 99% of the time.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    First day of VAR in the EPL yesterday. One thing happened during the Man City West Ham game that confused me. Aguero missed a penalty (saved, Declan Rice cleared). Retake given after VAR, with the commentator saying that Rice had encroached before Aguero kicked the ball, but not only that, the commentator said that if the keeper had saved it for a corner, there wouldn't have been a retake, as the encroachment needed to have a direct impact - which it did, as it was Rice who cleared it.

I'm pretty sure that's a different rule/interpretation of the rule we have seen in the past, where any encroachment at all resulted in a retake. So either the rule has changed a bit, or else FIFA are allowing different leagues/associations to interpret rules differently, which seems fairly silly in the long-term to me.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Certainly seems like the EPL refs are taking a different tack. Only saw the Man Utd/Chelsea game, two VAR checks (for a penalty and a possible red card), both very quick, no need for the ref to trek off to the sideline, both upheld original decisions. In the WWC both of them might have stopped games dead for two or more minutes.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    A question about VAR checks, which came to me while watching MOTD2.

If there is a tackle on an attacker right at the edge of the area, and the referee decides it's not a free kick/penalty and plays on and at the next stoppage, VAR checks it as a potential penalty...and privately concludes that it's a foul alright, but happened outside the area so it's not a penalty.

Do they bring it back for the foul, or just carry on from whatever/wherever the stoppage was?

Edit: Or, I suppose they actually go the other way and start from the position of the tackle and, upon seeing it's outside the area and not a penalty issue, make no further decisions at all.
    Last edited by osarusan; 25/08/2019 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    EPL reporting 4 failures on the part of VAR so far:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49683036

227 incidents in total that were 'VAR-worthy', of which 6 were changed by VAR, and 4 that they now say should have been. That's not a great strike rate, albeit a low total number so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Is there a way to compare to other leagues and see if the EPL is an outlier or normal? That seems like a poor rate for tech that's been around for a few years at this point.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Not sure what all the fuss was about the disallowed Chelsea goal. The player was offside. Sky pundits/Kloop would have been moaning if the goal had stood. Souness complained that the linesman should have spotted it - an ankle ahead ! There was obviously no reset in the play so good decision. Now that they can't moan about refs, they moan about VAR.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    EPL with a clear policy of having the TMO just make the decision for the ref to announce on the pitch, rather than suggesting to the ref that he visit a pitchside monitor to review a decision.

I think that conflicts with what was VAR policy at one point, but I suppose the policy has changed since then.

Just from watching Brighton-Everton on MOTD tonight, Richarlison was manhandled in the box (not massively so, but the defender absolutely intended to grab and impede him), and VAR did not intervene. Later, Michael Keane, in a very natural motion, brought his foot down on Connolly's foot, and VAR gave the penalty after.

I think it has been really inconsistent so far in the EPL. I never expected it mean we get the right decision every time, but I do think we are still seeing genuinely poor decisions either not corrected by VAR, or worse, made by VAR. Having said that, I have to consider the possibility that I just don't know how the rules are interpreted these days.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    EPL with a clear policy of having the TMO just make the decision for the ref to announce on the pitch, rather than suggesting to the ref that he visit a pitchside monitor to review a decision.

I think that conflicts with what was VAR policy at one point, but I suppose the policy has changed since then.

Just from watching Brighton-Everton on MOTD tonight, Richarlison was manhandled in the box (not massively so, but the defender absolutely intended to grab and impede him), and VAR did not intervene. Later, Michael Keane, in a very natural motion, brought his foot down on Connolly's foot, and VAR gave the penalty after.

I think it has been really inconsistent so far in the EPL. I never expected it mean we get the right decision every time, but I do think we are still seeing genuinely poor decisions either not corrected by VAR, or worse, made by VAR. Having said that, I have to consider the possibility that I just don't know how the rules are interpreted these days.
    All of this to one side, its ruining the matches for fans the way they are implementing it. Big delays, the ground not knowing why and goal celebrations becoming null & void, which is what people pay in to enjoy. MOTD is now the VAR show its dominating everything there also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    All of this to one side, its ruining the matches for fans the way they are implementing it. Big delays, the ground not knowing why and goal celebrations becoming null & void, which is what people pay in to enjoy. MOTD is now the VAR show its dominating everything there also.
    It used to be the criticise the the referee show and now VAR has taken its place. I think they don't use the screen on the field for the referee to take the pressure on the ref from the players out of the equation - the decision now being made by some faceless person. Mind you, it's now gone on to the third official with the managers sounding off at them. Klopp and Guardiola both had hissy fits directed at the poor Official on Sunday. VAR needs to speed up and call a foul a foul even if the ref didn't. I just think Henry in Paris so I will always favour VAR.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Found Steven Gerrard's comments interesting after the Scottish League Cup Final yesterday (for anyone unaware, Celtic's winner had numerous players offside, no VAR in use): https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...-rangers-loss/

"I think VAR has taken something away from the game, so I'd be a liar if I said I'm 100 percent in favour of it.

"But one thing I do know is that the officials up here do need some support and help. Because there are too many things, not just for our club but across the board, that they maybe miss and need a bit of support on."
    He didn't go into any detail about what he meant. Is there any middle ground between the current standard/operation of VAR and "some support and help"? I've seen variations of this sentiment expressed a bit over the last few months.

And is it fair to say that opinions in favour of VAR will increase the more clubs now lose out to bad officiating in competitions where there is no VAR? (which is not to say that Rangers were 100% losers because of the officials in this instance: they missed a penalty after all).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    VAR for offsides is less subjective anyway. I can see why managers would now be even more annoyed at conceding an offside goal now, given the technology is in use elsewhere. It's not so clear that the Celtic goal was offside though, with other angles showing Helander drifting back in between some of the Celtic players, just as the ball was being struck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter
    Found Steven Gerrard's comments interesting after the Scottish League Cup Final yesterday (for anyone unaware, Celtic's winner had numerous players offside, no VAR in use): https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...-rangers-loss/

He didn't go into any detail about what he meant. Is there any middle ground between the current standard/operation of VAR and "some support and help"? I've seen variations of this sentiment expressed a bit over the last few months.

And is it fair to say that opinions in favour of VAR will increase the more clubs now lose out to bad officiating in competitions where there is no VAR?
    Everyone wants VAR until they have it, then when they have it, they don't want it again. They want it when it suits them but that's not how VAR works.

There is no middle ground. Calling for it, then saying they're not 100% in favour of it, doesn't make sense. You have to be 100% in favour or else you really don't want it. Because when VAR is in, you can't go back to the game before it.

VAR is essential at the highest level of the game now to catch out the conmen and correct the injustices. If that means taking some more time to get the right decision, that's the way it has to be.

VAR should be used in the cup final of every major competition, including the FAI Cup Final. Lansdowne has the resources in place to use them. It's going to use them in the Euros after all.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Noises being made about "semi-automatic" systems to notify linesmen of offside cases being used in Qatar, partly in response to how long VAR calls are taking: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...022-world-cup/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Some interesting takes here: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2021...wer-penalties/

Officials essentially admitting they ignore fouls if players stay on their feet just confirms something we've all known for a while, that is a much bigger contribution to a culture of simulation than other factors I think. Other than that they are essentially changing the offside law to favour the attacker by introducing a "daylight" element. It'll mean more goals for sure, but we're about to see a potentially very divisive debate on just what "simulation" is, if ref's are being asked to interpret it as happening even if there is contact that might necessarily also be a foul. Will someone be denied what should be a legitimate penalty because they "were looking for it"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Don't like that work "simulation". Prefer deception or cheating. It sort of allows the cheat off the hook. He's a simulator as opposed to he's a cheat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Don't like that work "simulation". Prefer deception or cheating. It sort of allows the cheat off the hook. He's a simulator as opposed to he's a cheat.
    It's refereeing jargon. Simulation is a different category of cheating from exaggeration. Both describe types of cheating, but referees need to be able to distinguish between them if they're treated differently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Any thoughts on tonights VAR controversy for Mbappe's winning goal against Spain?

For those who haven't seen it, a through ball is played for Mbappe, who is half a yard offside. Eric Garcia knows Mbappe is behind him and attempts to cut it out. He makes contact but only slows the ball down, Mbappe collects it and beats the keeper to score.

There's no doubt he was offside when the pass was played, so obviously the touch from Garcia is key here, but what is a defender to do?

I actually thought the rule had been changed about a year ago after something very similar happened which made it clear that the rule as it stood (or interpretation of it, if there is even a difference) wasn't fit for purpose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Any thoughts on tonights VAR controversy for Mbappe's winning goal against Spain?

For those who haven't seen it, a through ball is played for Mbappe, who is half a yard offside. Eric Garcia knows Mbappe is behind him and attempts to cut it out. He makes contact but only slows the ball down, Mbappe collects it and beats the keeper to score.

There's no doubt he was offside when the pass was played, so obviously the touch from Garcia is key here, but what is a defender to do?

I actually thought the rule had been changed about a year ago after something very similar happened which made it clear that the rule as it stood (or interpretation of it, if there is even a difference) wasn't fit for purpose.
    he was offside when the ball was played and clearly benefited from that given he was on the ball less than a second later before sticking it in the net.
    even if the goal counts under the rules its a complete nonsense.

anyone see the norths red card on saturday? a complete nonsense that would never happen to a bigger team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    The latter is not a VAR issue. Refs are allowed to give yellow cards for taking too long to take throw ins and have done in the past to all sorts of teams. The question should be, does a player need 20 seconds to take a throw in? It's not really the most difficult discipline in the game. It's not really the wisest thing to do if you're already on a yellow, and he can have no complaints about getting booked for it.

As for the goal above, the VAR applied the rules as they stand. You're not offside if you receive the ball from an opponent, never have been, never will be. It's another example of why you keep the flag down until the end of the move, to see how it plays out.

22. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast