Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Callum Robinson (F West Brom b.1995)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Though he can play in other positions, Robinson always looked better for PNE playing off the left, which is where he excelled for WBA last season.

We've yet to see the best of him for Ireland but I think he has a lot to offer us if we can find a defined role for him.

I'm old enough to remember when Irish players played above themselves in a green shirt, no matter what their club form was or what level they were playing at, now it's so often the opposite, with the likes of Stevens, Doherty, Robinson and so many others looking a shadow of the players they are at club level.

As far as O'Dowda's concerned, I was surprised he even made the squad. It certainly wasn't based on form. The talent's evident but I just don't see an end product. He had couple of good moments over the two games but regularly flatters to deceive. He failed to link up with Doherty effectively and kept wanting to come inside on his left foot, which is fine, but it was to no great effect. He didn't put any particularly dangerous balls into the box nor did he get any shots away that really worried the opposition goalkeeper.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Though he can play in other positions, Robinson always looked better for PNE playing off the left, which is where he excelled for WBA last season.

We've yet to see the best of him for Ireland but I think he has a lot to offer us if we can find a defined role for him.

I'm old enough to remember when Irish players played above themselves in a green shirt, no matter what their club form was or what level they were playing at, now it's so often the opposite, with the likes of Stevens, Doherty, Robinson and so many others looking a shadow of the players they are at club level.

As far as O'Dowda's concerned, I was surprised he even made the squad. It certainly wasn't based on form. The talent's evident but I just don't see an end product. He had couple of good moments over the two games but regularly flatters to deceive. He failed to link up with Doherty effectively and kept wanting to come inside on his left foot, which is fine, but it was to no great effect. He didn't put any particularly dangerous balls into the box nor did he get any shots away that really worried the opposition goalkeeper.
    Players may be under pressure from clubs not to put as much in these days. The Clubs are paying them a lot of money ( Even for these Irish Players ) Coming Back Injured may well be a No No No these days ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Now officially a West Brom player. Great news for West Brom in that they managed to offload the dreadful Oliver Burke at the same time as well.

It was difficult to judge Robinson last season with Sheffield United as he didn't seem to fit into their system at all. This coming season will tell us a lot more about whether there's a Premier League standard player in there or not. If it doesn't work out for him at West Brom he's destined to spend his career in the Championship I think.
    I know he scored a crucial goal for them at the end, but he was a bit part player in West Brom's run-in. Was there any reason for this other than just being down the pecking order a bit? If not, it wouldn't inspire confidence that he'd get more starts for them at a higher level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I only really saw the game where they sealed promotion and he looked very good.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I could see him starting on the right of a front three in October
    Could easily yeah, he is a better player then O Dowda

I do think the 433 system, could be a disaster for us
    we just don't have the personnel for that system, in international football you get punished if you have weakness in formation

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    It was said earlier he looked better for PNE cutting in from the left and I'd agree based on the few times I've seen him. I think Kilbane, a PNE watcher, says the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Connolly's spot to lose? Does appear the battle is between the two Callum's for the other side.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Starts at Leicester. O'Shea also playing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Currently on a hattrick against Chelsea who are being smashed by West Brom.

Lad hates Chelsea, 3 Premier League goals and all 3 against them!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    McGoldrick scored two against them last year and Obafemi got one as well. We seem to have strikers that are good at scoring against Chelsea and almost nobody else for some reason.

Robinson looks more comfortable cutting in off the left, which is the same position as Connolly obviously. Neither seems as suited to wide right.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    the last Irish player to score a brace in the Premier League was David McGoldrick - coincidentally also against Chelsea
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Robinson looks more comfortable cutting in off the left, which is the same position as Connolly obviously. Neither seems as suited to wide right.
    He's played each game central on his own for West Brom so far this season. I think a lot of right footed strikers will prefer coming in off the left. I think Callum can play any of 3 up top if needed, good versatile option for us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    True, but if he plays for us next month it will be on the right of the three. I think that's possibly his weakest position of the three, although to be fair he is reasonably two footed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The front 3 picks itself Connolly mcgoldrick Robinson

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Could easily yeah, he is a better player then O Dowda

I do think the 433 system, could be a disaster for us
    we just don't have the personnel for that system, in international football you get punished if you have weakness in formation
    Agree Robinson is a better option than O'Dowda.

I think 4-3-3 is unsuited to our players, too. We've looked worryingly open with that system, against Finland in particular.

And it was highlighted on MOTD how McCarthy excelled as one of two deep-lying midfielders along with McArthur for Palace.

I understand Kenny wants to foster a more progressive brand of football, but we don't want to be that easy to play against when we face Slovakia. In a match of this importance we need to keep things tight and hope to nick one at the other end. We don't want to give away a silly goal and end up having to chase the game again.

I'd certainly play Coleman at right-back as well. His form, experience and the leadership he offers I think demand his selection.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    They are two very good goals that Robinson scored. Hopefully he can stay in the team and kick on. It's clear they are looking for a more flexible front three by playing him through the middle than an out and out striker like Robson-Kanu or Charlie Austin.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Muck game today. Looked awful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    He got a mention in the O’Shea thread but figured his display deserved some comments in his own thread. Robinson was engaged all game, consistently made good runs, generated two penalties and probably should have scored at least once from open play.

Good to see Big Sam trusting him, and playing as one of the forwards in a 4-4-2 also seemed to suit him.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Taken off at half time today and West Brom reportedly in for Benteke before the transfer window closes - so his game time might be reduced in the second half of the season. That would be a shame because I think he has been one of their better players in the first half of the season.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Taken off at half time today and West Brom reportedly in for Benteke before the transfer window closes - so his game time might be reduced in the second half of the season. That would be a shame because I think he has been one of their better players in the first half of the season.
    I’d be worried if Benteke was going to be my replacement ! !

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast