Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 138

Thread: Callum Robinson (F West Brom b.1995)

  1. #61
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    276
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    219
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Though he can play in other positions, Robinson always looked better for PNE playing off the left, which is where he excelled for WBA last season.

    We've yet to see the best of him for Ireland but I think he has a lot to offer us if we can find a defined role for him.

    I'm old enough to remember when Irish players played above themselves in a green shirt, no matter what their club form was or what level they were playing at, now it's so often the opposite, with the likes of Stevens, Doherty, Robinson and so many others looking a shadow of the players they are at club level.

    As far as O'Dowda's concerned, I was surprised he even made the squad. It certainly wasn't based on form. The talent's evident but I just don't see an end product. He had couple of good moments over the two games but regularly flatters to deceive. He failed to link up with Doherty effectively and kept wanting to come inside on his left foot, which is fine, but it was to no great effect. He didn't put any particularly dangerous balls into the box nor did he get any shots away that really worried the opposition goalkeeper.

  2. #62
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,149
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,795
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    522
    Thanked in
    373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Though he can play in other positions, Robinson always looked better for PNE playing off the left, which is where he excelled for WBA last season.

    We've yet to see the best of him for Ireland but I think he has a lot to offer us if we can find a defined role for him.

    I'm old enough to remember when Irish players played above themselves in a green shirt, no matter what their club form was or what level they were playing at, now it's so often the opposite, with the likes of Stevens, Doherty, Robinson and so many others looking a shadow of the players they are at club level.

    As far as O'Dowda's concerned, I was surprised he even made the squad. It certainly wasn't based on form. The talent's evident but I just don't see an end product. He had couple of good moments over the two games but regularly flatters to deceive. He failed to link up with Doherty effectively and kept wanting to come inside on his left foot, which is fine, but it was to no great effect. He didn't put any particularly dangerous balls into the box nor did he get any shots away that really worried the opposition goalkeeper.
    Players may be under pressure from clubs not to put as much in these days. The Clubs are paying them a lot of money ( Even for these Irish Players ) Coming Back Injured may well be a No No No these days ! !

  3. #63
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,868
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,382
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,264
    Thanked in
    2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Now officially a West Brom player. Great news for West Brom in that they managed to offload the dreadful Oliver Burke at the same time as well.

    It was difficult to judge Robinson last season with Sheffield United as he didn't seem to fit into their system at all. This coming season will tell us a lot more about whether there's a Premier League standard player in there or not. If it doesn't work out for him at West Brom he's destined to spend his career in the Championship I think.
    I know he scored a crucial goal for them at the end, but he was a bit part player in West Brom's run-in. Was there any reason for this other than just being down the pecking order a bit? If not, it wouldn't inspire confidence that he'd get more starts for them at a higher level.

  4. #64
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,589
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,358
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,200
    Thanked in
    2,364 Posts
    I only really saw the game where they sealed promotion and he looked very good.

  5. #65
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    441
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I could see him starting on the right of a front three in October
    Could easily yeah, he is a better player then O Dowda

    I do think the 433 system, could be a disaster for us
    we just don't have the personnel for that system, in international football you get punished if you have weakness in formation

  6. #66
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,589
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,358
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,200
    Thanked in
    2,364 Posts
    It was said earlier he looked better for PNE cutting in from the left and I'd agree based on the few times I've seen him. I think Kilbane, a PNE watcher, says the same.

  7. #67
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,868
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,382
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,264
    Thanked in
    2,074 Posts
    Connolly's spot to lose? Does appear the battle is between the two Callum's for the other side.

  8. #68
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    276
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    219
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Starts at Leicester. O'Shea also playing.

  9. #69
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Currently on a hattrick against Chelsea who are being smashed by West Brom.

    Lad hates Chelsea, 3 Premier League goals and all 3 against them!

  10. #70
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,513
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    82
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    534
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    McGoldrick scored two against them last year and Obafemi got one as well. We seem to have strikers that are good at scoring against Chelsea and almost nobody else for some reason.

    Robinson looks more comfortable cutting in off the left, which is the same position as Connolly obviously. Neither seems as suited to wide right.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #71
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    19,856
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,005
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,196
    Thanked in
    2,718 Posts
    the last Irish player to score a brace in the Premier League was David McGoldrick - coincidentally also against Chelsea
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  13. #72
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Robinson looks more comfortable cutting in off the left, which is the same position as Connolly obviously. Neither seems as suited to wide right.
    He's played each game central on his own for West Brom so far this season. I think a lot of right footed strikers will prefer coming in off the left. I think Callum can play any of 3 up top if needed, good versatile option for us.

  14. #73
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,513
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    82
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    534
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    True, but if he plays for us next month it will be on the right of the three. I think that's possibly his weakest position of the three, although to be fair he is reasonably two footed.

  15. #74
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,717
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    441
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    The front 3 picks itself Connolly mcgoldrick Robinson

  16. #75
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    501
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    276
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    219
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Could easily yeah, he is a better player then O Dowda

    I do think the 433 system, could be a disaster for us
    we just don't have the personnel for that system, in international football you get punished if you have weakness in formation
    Agree Robinson is a better option than O'Dowda.

    I think 4-3-3 is unsuited to our players, too. We've looked worryingly open with that system, against Finland in particular.

    And it was highlighted on MOTD how McCarthy excelled as one of two deep-lying midfielders along with McArthur for Palace.

    I understand Kenny wants to foster a more progressive brand of football, but we don't want to be that easy to play against when we face Slovakia. In a match of this importance we need to keep things tight and hope to nick one at the other end. We don't want to give away a silly goal and end up having to chase the game again.

    I'd certainly play Coleman at right-back as well. His form, experience and the leadership he offers I think demand his selection.

  17. #76
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,461
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    816
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,392
    Thanked in
    943 Posts
    They are two very good goals that Robinson scored. Hopefully he can stay in the team and kick on. It's clear they are looking for a more flexible front three by playing him through the middle than an out and out striker like Robson-Kanu or Charlie Austin.

  18. #77
    First Team
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    58
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Muck game today. Looked awful

  19. #78
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,468
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    498
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    281
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    He got a mention in the O’Shea thread but figured his display deserved some comments in his own thread. Robinson was engaged all game, consistently made good runs, generated two penalties and probably should have scored at least once from open play.

    Good to see Big Sam trusting him, and playing as one of the forwards in a 4-4-2 also seemed to suit him.

  20. Thanks From:


  21. #79
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,513
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    82
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    534
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Taken off at half time today and West Brom reportedly in for Benteke before the transfer window closes - so his game time might be reduced in the second half of the season. That would be a shame because I think he has been one of their better players in the first half of the season.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  22. #80
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,149
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,795
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    522
    Thanked in
    373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Taken off at half time today and West Brom reportedly in for Benteke before the transfer window closes - so his game time might be reduced in the second half of the season. That would be a shame because I think he has been one of their better players in the first half of the season.
    I’d be worried if Benteke was going to be my replacement ! !

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Callum O'Dowda (M Bristol City b.1995)
    By DeLorean in forum Ireland
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 18/03/2021, 2:10 PM
  2. RTE: Championship: Robinson helps West Brom extend lead
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25/02/2020, 10:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30/01/2020, 12:43 AM
  4. RTE: Ireland's Callum Robinson joins West Brom on loan
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29/01/2020, 9:10 AM
  5. FAI: VIDEO: Callum Robinson Interview
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28/05/2019, 10:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •