Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland U21 squad vs Israel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ireland U21 squad vs Israel

Henderson (Aston Villa), Deeney (Notts County), Foley (Luton Town), Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Fitzgerald (Bury), Kohlmann (Borussia Dortmund), Paisley (Longford Town), Flood (Manchester City), McStay (Leeds United), Whelan (Sheffield Wednesday), Potter (Liverpool), O'Brien (Bolton Wanderers), Thornton (Sunderland), Bell (Rushden and Diamonds), McGeady (Celtic), Tabb (Brentford), Murphy (Waterford United), Quigley (Millwall).

------------

Every one of those players have tasted 1st team football for their club (actually not sure about McStay). I wasn't sure if Kohlmann had either but he started against Kaiserklautern in November.

Looks like Elliott will be in the main squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McGeady should be in the main squad, a great option off the bench if we're flat against Israel. Does this rule him out of the China friendly too? I hope not, he should get the full 90 minutes in that.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There must be a mistake McGeady in the U21's

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I presume a few players that are missing are now over-age.

McGeady is not part of senior squad as has zero chance of coming off the bench. Kerr does not throw junior players into qualifiers no matter how desparate.

McGeady will be upgraded to senior squad for China. Also possibly Kelly & Flood for China bench too depending on senior squad selection & injuries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd prefer McGeady to be in the U21 squad. He is behind to many players in the main squad and I want the U21's qualifying. Lets hope he'll be in the squad for the China game.

Any idea why Paddy McCarthy and Kevin Doyle aren't included? age, suspension?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Any idea why Paddy McCarthy and Kevin Doyle aren't included? age, suspension?
    I suspect Kevin Doyle & Liam Keaney are too old now as they have been regular starters for last year.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Iam intrested in your comments he's below people in the squad who Alan Quinn,Graham Kavanagh e.t.c your telling me there better than him ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by byrnie20
    Iam intrested in your comments he's below people in the squad who Alan Quinn,Graham Kavanagh e.t.c your telling me there better than him ?
    byrnie, I'm a Celtic fan so I'm going to be biased towards McGeady. In Kerr's eyes he is behind a load of players, not mine. BTW, don't see why you mentioned Kavanagh. You might aswell be saying Harte is behind Morrison.

pete - Doyle is not 22 until September.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair enough Kavanagh but Quinn will be in there, the guy's a genius,he has Champions league experience not only that but he can say I gave the Milan defence the run about,not many players have had that honour this season.Players in the squad who play a similar postion to McGeady have not had that experince and are not as gifted.Iam disappointed in Kerr I just hope he is using mind games but I cannot see that.Age should not be a factor in picking a player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's not going to play though with Duff and Reid ahead of him atm. I'm just a big follower of all the Irish age groups and think it'd be more beneficial to have McGeady playing for the U21s in Israel rather than being a squad player for the senior group.

I honestly think this is the last time he won't be included in a senior squad for the rest of his career tbh (excluding injuries, etc.).
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 14/03/2005 at 5:54 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What you say is logical for the U21's but if Ireland are 1-0 down who do you bring on to change the game I know its hyperthetical but Its true, I would not play him but he would be on the bench.I cannot think of a creative play who will change the game for Ireland who will be on the bench.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think it's right to keep McGeady in the u-21s. We need to be patient with him and give him as many games as possible at an international level without all the expectation + hype of the full international duty.
    He's not going to get in over Duff/Reid so why have him warming the bench when he could have a game and learn his trade.
    I think he'll play in the China game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What you say is logical for the U21's but if Ireland are 1-0 down who do you bring on to change the game I know its hyperthetical but Its true, I would not play him but he would be on the bench.I cannot think of a creative play who will change the game for Ireland who will be on the bench.
    Don't worry, we have the incredible skills of Graham Barrett and Alan Quinn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If Duff and Reid can't break a defence after an hour, no other flair Irish player will make much difference. Therefore, if we are 1-0 after an hour Kerr will have to change the team around or bring on a target man.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We'll have 2 on the team in Reid and Duff. If we need a goal throw on someone like Elliott who has a good scoring record at the moment.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah no need to worry then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    If Duff and Reid can't break a defence after an hour, no other flair Irish player will make much difference. Therefore, if we are 1-0 after an hour Kerr will have to change the team around or bring on a target man.
    And what if Duff and/or Reid pick up an injury?

The senior team have to come first, McGeady could easily have a role to play against Israel and we need to pick the best players we have available to us, McGeady is clearly good enough to get into the squad.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "If we need a goal throw on someone like Elliott who has a good scoring record at the moment."

Fair enough, I wont be much good if he isn't getting any service,thats where McGeady comes into Its ok saying bring Elliott on but If we are being dominated in midfeild we might need a creative option to create chaces for the strikers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    And what if Duff and/or Reid pick up an injury?

The senior team have to come first, McGeady could easily have a role to play against Israel and we need to pick the best players we have available to us, McGeady is clearly good enough to get into the squad.
    I just think McGeady could be the difference in the U21's winning and losing while he'd have a very small chance of getting a game for the senior team. What if Duff and Reid got injured? What if McGeady came on as a replacement and played crap? We have to just hope that they don't get injured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah but the small chance he has of playing is enough to include him imo. I also want to see Ireland do well at all levels but the senior team gets priority, and McGeady is far better than the alternatives that will no doubt be in his place in the squad. If Duff and/or Reid gets injured, and obviously I hope to God they don't, and we have to throw on Barrett or Quinn because McGeady was playing for the U21s we'll look very foolish imo.

If it was a friendly I'd agree with you 100% but in a crucial and very difficult qualifyer for the world cup we can't take any chances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast