Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI Fixture 6-7 April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I thought Horgan did well towards the end of the season and hoped he would continue to improve.
    I am still hoping but I can see why others wouldnt feel like that.
    Hopefully one of them gets some confidence and starts performing or we maybe get a new keeper in july
    The problem is once a keeper makes a couple of mistakes it piles the pressure on, youd have to be mad to want to be a keeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    Went to see Pats v Bray on Friday as a fairweather neutral.

Bray were dire - amazing to think that half the team was the same as when I'd watched them a year earlier (e.g., Kenna, Douglas, McCabe, Greene, Sullivan - and maybe others who I wouldn't have recognised). Without wanting to reignite the goalkeeping deabte, I always thought Peter Cherrie was among the best in the country - has he been the biggest loss for them?

Anyway, on Friday it was crazy to see how easily Pats played through them at times. McCabe up top on his own during the first half was like a fish up a tree.

Pats played with a big of swagger and took a couple of the goals very nicely but nobody will be judging them on the basis of that display. Madden was impressive at fullback, and Toner made it look easy in central defence.

Anyway, from a personal perspective, it was good to get back to an LOI match and see some decent football being played by at least one team. Hoping to get to the Dublin Derby next week. Would there be any difficulty getting a ticket on the night?
    no difficulty getting a ticket it won't sell out.
    Buy a ticket for the East or West stand on sale at a kiosk outside the main shop (you walk past the shop and its on your left) assuming you want to be in with the home support. If you want to be in with the Bohs fans the kiosk is at the square end of the ground, you can't miss it....the police horses normally stand there

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Sbgawa, it was plain as anything for those watching games in Tallaght last year that neither goalkeeper was good enough to sustain a credible title challenge, and Bradley did ****all about it. He was quick to get bolger and Boyle, but did nothing about the guy between the sticks. We won't win the league because of it, and are in danger of missing out on euro qualification.

I can't see Rovers finishing outside the top 4, I don't think ourselves or Derry are consistent enough to finish above you
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    This needs drastic action before we are cut adrift.
    Sligo were very poor on Saturday night, didn't look like scoring all night. It was a comfortable victory for Derry, though a bit of fortune had for both the goals. Patterson's free kick took an awful deflection, and I'm not sure what Schlingermann was at for the second, seemed to slip under him when he really should have collected it.

That's five wins a row for ourselves now. It was also our first league win in Sligo since 2009, which is a pretty mad stat when you think about it.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Technically speaking Hery was defending himself from a pitch invader tackling him 👀👀👀👀👀

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I noticed Aaron Bolger was on the bench in Oriel and also last week against Sligo - there is hardly much difference in study time being on the subs bench as opposed to playing - unless he take his school books into the dugout

Does he also play for the under19's or has he been excused this to allow for Leaving Cert study?
    Well there's a different in how you perform and how long you can perform. The lad is concentrating on his studies and can still take part in football but not full time. Not sure where you're getting the idea he was excused from football from.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well there's a different in how you perform and how long you can perform. The lad is concentrating on his studies and can still take part in football but not full time. Not sure where you're getting the idea he was excused from football from.
    From seeing him on the bench in Oriel Park last Friday, I obviously knew he was still involved.

You seemed to indicate that because of his Leaving Cert Rovers were not playing him - hence my question about whether he was playing for the U-19s.

It seems that he is being called upon for both u-19 and senior team, just not being selected for the first team ahead of others

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Jayz, watching the Slovakia goal in women's highlights on Soccer Republic there, you'd wonder if there's something in the water in Tallaght when it comes to goalkeeping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    Yet another deflection. Hery was a typical footballer and reacted. Hewould have been dealt with by the ref, most probably a yellow card as per the rules. It was a non incident until JC entered the field. That is the facts. JC caused it. Hery would not have had a chance to react if JC wasn't there. JC should get a lengthly ban for it. He instigated the whole situation. It was entertaining to watch, and even more entertaining is the the defending through deflection of the golden boy by Cork fans.
    Hery instigated it by walking over and pushing the ball out of griffins grip. Saw the footage tonight on SR, he's nowhere near Griffin at first when he is trying to take the throw. Hery jogs over, dislodges the ball and dribbles it out onto the pitch. It's then Caulfield goes to retrieve it. Caulfield shouldn't have, but to suggest that he instigated the whole thing when Hery came over to get involved, and was the first to raise his hands, is nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshead View Post
    Hery instigated it by walking over and pushing the ball out of griffins grip. Saw the footage tonight on SR, he's nowhere near Griffin at first when he is trying to take the throw. Hery jogs over, dislodges the ball and dribbles it out onto the pitch. It's then Caulfield goes to retrieve it. Caulfield shouldn't have, but to suggest that he instigated the whole thing when Hery came over to get involved, and was the first to raise his hands, is nonsense.
    As said before, Hery would have been dealt with as a player on the pitch.

JC was the cause of all that followed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    As said before, Hery would have been dealt with as a player on the pitch.

JC was the cause of all that followed.
    I genuinely don't understand this logic. JC played his part, no question, but the sole cause?

Using the same logic, if Hery hadn't pushed JC, JC would have been dealt with by the ref without any further issues. He'd have been given a red for encroaching, or a warning. Time would have been wasted, game would have gone on without any brawl or further issues.

The idea that there's 1 thing and 1 thing alone that caused it is nonsense to me.

Hery played a part and JC played a part in causing it. The others thar got involved should have known better too,but wasn't a surprise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I genuinely don't understand this logic. JC played his part, no question, but the sole cause?

Using the same logic, if Hery hadn't pushed JC, JC would have been dealt with by the ref without any further issues. He'd have been given a red for encroaching, or a warning. Time would have been wasted, game would have gone on without any brawl or further issues.

The idea that there's 1 thing and 1 thing alone that caused it is nonsense to me.

Hery played a part and JC played a part in causing it. The others thar got involved should have known better too,but wasn't a surprise.
    So the ref shouldn't handle the players on the pitch? That's his job. It's JC's job to stay off the pitch. If JC let the ref deal with Hery, the melee wouldn't have happened. Hery was time wasting and it's an unfortunate aspect of the game. It was up to the ref to deal with it, not JC. Apologies for the logical approach I take.
    Last edited by GCdfc; 09/04/2018 at 9:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Of course the ref should handle the players on the pitch. Who said otherwise? The ref (or 4th official) should also handle managers than encroach. This fits perfectly with your own logic, surely? At every point it was up to the ref to deal with. Reynolds shouldn't have kicked the ball away (which is why he got sent off apparently, which seems harsh), JC shouldn't have gone on the pitch, he should have let the ref deal with it. Hery shouldn't have pushed JC, he should have let the ref deal with it. Buckley, Beattie et al shouldn't have piled on, they should have let the ref deal with it. Same with the other side.

Everyone involved didn't pay a blind bit of attention or respect to the ref, Aborah even got into his face. They were all in the wrong in doing so. They should be punished accordingly.

I simply disagree with the assertion that Caulfield not letting the ref deal with the time wasting forced all the other responses, as some have claimed. As if the grown men on the pitch can't control themselves and its just a set of dominos with no control.

The brawl was a result of two things imo, JC going on the pitch to get the ball, instead of letting the ref deal with it, and Hery getting violent about it, instead of letting the ref deal with it. The push got everyone else involved. Personally, I'd view the push as worse than the encroachment, but as I said I'd expect the disciplinary committee to treat them both as instigators and fairly similarly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I'm gonna leave it there, because I'm sure the rest of the league is bored to tears with the back and forth on this. It's clear we fundamentally disagree on it. We'll just have to see what the disciplinary committee decides.

* I lied. Sorry!
    Last edited by micls; 10/04/2018 at 7:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    In fear of being accused of being obsessed by Mark McNulty - how fast is the chap??
    Lightning, in fairness. Last pre-season, we were playing Cork down in the RSC. Seani Maguire was on the receiving end of a very poor and dangerous tackle just on the edge of the centre circle in Waterford's half. That's the furthest most point of the circle away from the Cork end. The first Cork player to arrive on the scene to remonstrate with the offending Waterford player was McNulty. Now that's fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I'm gonna leave it there, because I'm sure the rest of the league is bored to tears with the back and forth on this. It's clear we fundamentally disagree on it. We'll just have to see what the disciplinary committee decides.
    Not that it really matters, and you won't change your mind, but just to say that pretty much everyone outside of CCFC who has commented on this episode - not just WFC supporters - has reasonably pointed out that nothing out of the ordinary happens until Caulfield enters the pitch, and that's the key to it all. I genuinely find it astonishing that even as a fan of the club that this is so hard to admit to. It's possible to love your club and still be able point out when it or one of it's people are responsible for something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    Not that it really matters, and you won't change your mind, but just to say that pretty much everyone outside of CCFC who has commented on this episode - not just WFC supporters - has reasonably pointed out that nothing out of the ordinary happens until Caulfield enters the pitch, and that's the key to it all. I genuinely find it astonishing that even as a fan of the club that this is so hard to admit to. It's possible to love your club and still be able point out when it or one of it's people are responsible for something.
    BUt we have all admitted that Caulfield did wrong. No one is suggesting he didn't. We just think Hery is the one who escalates it into violence. You are just choosing to believe that its Caufields fault Hery pushed him.

If Hery didn't push Caufield no one would have been sent off, JC would have gotten a warning and thats it. If Hery pushes Caufield and no one else reacts Hery still gets sent off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    BUt we have all admitted that Caulfield did wrong. No one is suggesting he didn't.
    With respect, that is not the tone of the responses, and it is significant that you refer to "we", as all the CCFC support seems to have precisely the same view, which is in contrast to how most everyone else is apportioning blame. Doesn't that strike you as odd? Doesn't it possibly suggest a rather blinkered view of the incident?

The straw man argument keeps getting advanced that somehow Héry is being given a pass. He wasn't, and he won't be. He'll be correctly heavily punished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    And if Caulfield hadn't acted like a cretin and encroached the pitch, none of it would have kicked off and Hery might've got a yellow card for time wasting.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Having seen the incidents on Soccer Republic it occured to me that the reaction of Héry towards Caulfield was one that would normally indicate some very vile words were directed Hėry's direction by the Cork manager. Hence Héry reacted in a manner not too disimiliar to a person being abused in a race hate manner. This is a conjecture on my part and my reading of the matter. It is not a good image for the game. I think there actually is a good possibility of a single point deduction for both sides.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast