Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI Fixture 6-7 April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    First half was poor at RSC but Waterford were very good in 2nd half and deserved the win. McNamee missed a sitter for Cork at 1 1. Great atmosphere there. The brawl at the end was a pity as will overshadow the result and lead to a few suspensions for both sides.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Lots of intricate tippy tippy from Bohs last night, very young team.Should really have converted 3/4 good chances.
    Good defensive display from Limerick, but they mostly lumped up the pitch to a manic O'Sullivan with the little possession they had, resulting in a couple of chances to steal it.
    Think Bray and Sligo are as good/ bad as both Bohs and Lim.
    Fair play to away fans , kept singing all through the game.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    I doubt you'll have any Dundalk supporters disagreeing. I'd liked to have seen Ross Tracey between the posts.
    For sure. It's just strange that two of the top teams in the league have four poor keepers between them. Cork and Waterford have better keepers on the bench - Cherrie and Corbet - than Dundalk or Rovers have starting, it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well Dundalk got away with a bit tonight but it's not why they won, and we're well capable of giving as good as we get. I just think it's funny that you think Cork somehow lack cynicism. Come back to me when you have three players sent off within a couple of months for booting players up the hole in front of the referee.
    The way Cleary, O'Donnell, Shields get away with things shows that your lot are very good at the dark arts.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    For sure. It's just strange that two of the top teams in the league have four poor keepers between them. Cork and Waterford have better keepers on the bench - Cherrie and Corbet - than Dundalk or Rovers have starting, it seems.
    Are you trolling or is that a genuine opinion?

Corbet is a better keeper than Rogers? Do you actually watch premier division football?

Bizarre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    If not right now, then certainly has the potential to be quite soon.

Rogers is a poor keeper; that's been seen a number of times.

The last time Corbet played in Oriel Park, he was being dubbed Superman on Twitter for his performance. Which was hardly an isolated one as, in particular, Europe showed.

Certainly, I know which one I'd rather have in nets.

You've an awful habit of charging into a debate swinging your mickey and dismissing people as trolls instead of, you know, engaging in a point.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/04/2018 at 10:18 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I just think it's funny that you think Cork somehow lack cynicism. Come back to me when you have three players sent off within a couple of months for booting players up the hole in front of the referee.
    Hilarious isn't it. The blinkers they sell in Cork are on a different level, either that or it's an on going deflection. The most cynical side in the league by some distance.

Rovers fans are calling it out because they lost and are understandably looking for excuses but for Rovers fans to be pointing at our discipline is laughable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts

The last time Corbet played in Oriel Park, he was being dubbed Superman on Twitter for his performance. Which was hardly an isolated one as, in particular, Europe showed.

You've an awful habit of charging into a debate swinging your mickey and dismissing people as trolls instead of, you know, engaging in a point.
    I'm calling you out on this as you're talking nonsense. Rogers made a few mistakes mostly against top European sides but hasn't put a foot wrong since then. He has been excellent last season and so far this season. I wouldn't swap him for any keeper in the Premier let alone the first division.

Corbet may well turn out to be a top keeper but right now he's playing in a rubbish division. If he was that good he wouldn't still be with UCD whether he's studying or not, he would go if the price was right. At one stage every young keeper in the league is touted as the next superstar, rarely happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    A photo has appeared of Caulfield attempting to trip Hery before been put on his arse. Caulfield had no right to be on the pitch regardless whether the ball was dead or not, the game was still live. The incident led to a bawl where a further 4 reds followed. People seem to think Caulfield will get off lightly, funnily that’s the cork view. He deserves a big ban, no manager should enter the pitch and tackle a player. No just Caulfield coming into the field but it could be said him running onto the pitch incited all the players. He’s a sore loser and couldn’t deal with it, they bottled the win. Cork fans seem to not see McNutly, he regularly wastes time and taunts Dundalk fans in particular yet and done nothing but winged and moaned about our keeper doing it. Huge night overshadowed by childish behavior unfortunately.

The gap on automatic regelegation is massive, what a start. Beating Rovers and Cork at home back to back, I spent years of Dreaming just to meet them in the later stages of ge FAI cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    I'm calling you out on this as you're talking nonsense. Rogers made a few mistakes mostly against top European sides but hasn't put a foot wrong since then. He has been excellent last season and so far this season. I wouldn't swap him for any keeper in the Premier let alone the first division.
    Well that's fair enough - at least you're trying to argue facts, which I can respect. There can obviously be a decent element of opinion, and exposure bias, involved in deciding who's a better keeper.

I would point out that Corbet is playing in the Premier, not the First (which was my original point!) He's with Waterford now.

I don't agree with your point -

If he was that good he wouldn't still be with UCD whether he's studying or not, he would go if the price was right.
    Aside from the fact that he's not with UCD any more, players can often stay at UCD longer than they would at other clubs. Corbet stayed just long enough to complete his Master's - just like Benson and McMillan, for example. So I don't think your point above is relevant, as it also argues that Benson/McMillan (and others) aren't top players.

It's a shame in one way that Waterford signed Vigoroux so soon after signing Corbet, as Swindon's first choice keeper from 2015-17 is clearly going to be better than UCD's first choice for the same period. But with Vigoroux going back to Swindon in July (apparently?), I guess Corbet has to take the chance to learn from his experience and try make the spot his own come then.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    A photo has appeared of Caulfield attempting to trip Hery before been put on his arse. Caulfield had no right to be on the pitch regardless whether the ball was dead or not, the game was still live. The incident led to a bawl where a further 4 reds followed. People seem to think Caulfield will get off lightly, funnily that’s the cork view. He deserves a big ban, no manager should enter the pitch and tackle a player. No just Caulfield coming into the field but it could be said him running onto the pitch incited all the players. He’s a sore loser and couldn’t deal with it, they bottled the win. Cork fans seem to not see McNutly, he regularly wastes time and taunts Dundalk fans in particular yet and done nothing but winged and moaned about our keeper doing it. Huge night overshadowed by childish behavior unfortunately.

The gap on automatic regelegation is massive, what a start. Beating Rovers and Cork at home back to back, I spent years of Dreaming just to meet them in the later stages of ge FAI cup
    Caulfield was wrong to do what he did and has admitted as much, but the idea he incited the whole thing is nonsense. The Waterford bench wouldn't give the ball to Griffen for our throw, and Hery dribbled it onto the pitch. Caulfield will rightly get a sideline ban, but raising your hands to a player is violent conduct, I'm sure there'll be a dim view taken of doing it to a manager.

For all the cheers Waterford fans gave Hery for doing what he did last night, we'll see how they do without him for a good few games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    It must be really disheartening for the Rovers players to put all that effort in, and then watch as the calamity in goal( we have 2 of them !!) destroys all they tried to do.
    The manager knew in pre season that a keeper was needed. It may now cost us a place in Europe, which would cost him his job. He has to get someone in the summer.

I know Rogers is usually in goal for them,but how have Dundalk kept a clean sheet until now. The lack of proper strikers in this league is striking!

P.s caulfield is a knob end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Your claim was so utterly bizarre that it was deserving of being questioned - at least you have now tempered your existing madcap claim by moderating to claim that Corbet has the potential to be better.

Gary Rogers has over 500 appearances and apart from having an outstanding clean sheet record in the current season, also had more shut outs than any other keepers in the PD last season. He has been called into the full international squad and has a fine collection of league and cup honours, along with a host of personal awards

Niall Corbet on the other hand has made 2 premier division appearances and has yet to keep a clean sheet, He previously played at a vastly inferior level with UCD and has shown some promise.

Mad Ted
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 07/04/2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Highlight the about face

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Defensively we were all over the place last night. A lot of the credit should go to Carr, whose hold up play was excellent. However, Folan had a mare which eventually affected Cleary beside him. There is no way we could have kept eight consecutive clean sheets with that level of defensive performance.

It was a really good performance by Rovers, very disciplined too.

Its still too easy go get behind their defence on the left. The first goal came from one such move but Dundalk should have capitalised this weakness more.

I don't understand why Bradley didn't go for Cherrie but then again there is a lot about Bradley I don't understand, like why he let Madden go, and why he won't play Aaron Bolger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    The manager knew in pre season that a keeper was needed. It may now cost us a place in Europe, which would cost him his job. He has to get someone in the summer.
    We would gladly fund-raise for the transfer kitty to sign a keeper, if it meant Bradley keeping the job

(Psst.....There's a rookie keeper with potential on the bench at Waterford!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Oh, Rogers has had a better career than Corbet, there's absolutely no doubt about that. It helps that he's 12/13 years older of course.

But playing games for St Francis 18 years ago, or winning the FAI Cup for Drogheda 13 years ago, or the Setanta Cup for Sligo 4 years ago, don't really impact as an assessment of the two players' abilities today, do they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Well that's fair enough - at least you're trying to argue facts, which I can respect. There can obviously be a decent element of opinion, and exposure bias, involved in deciding who's a better keeper.

I would point out that Corbet is playing in the Premier, not the First (which was my original point!) He's with Waterford now.

I don't agree with your point -

Aside from the fact that he's not with UCD any more, players can often stay at UCD longer than they would at other clubs. Corbet stayed just long enough to complete his Master's - just like Benson and McMillan, for example. So I don't think your point above is relevant, as it also argues that Benson/McMillan (and others) aren't top players.

It's a shame in one way that Waterford signed Vigoroux so soon after signing Corbet, as Swindon's first choice keeper from 2015-17 is clearly going to be better than UCD's first choice for the same period. But with Vigoroux going back to Swindon in July (apparently?), I guess Corbet has to take the chance to learn from his experience and try make the spot his own come then.
    Fair enough, didn't realise he was now with Waterford but I think the point still stands that if he was that good they wouldn't have brought in Vigoroux.

Put it this way, if we had signed Vigoroux, like Sava he would only be getting in now due to Rogers form and injury.

Obviously I hope Corbet turns out to be brilliant and we sign him as a long term replacement for Rogers

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

Agree, wouldn't have Rogers in the nets either. Too liable for silly mistakes and his kick outs are rubbish. When the top teams came a calling from Europe he was constantly shown up. Easy to get away with rubbish in our league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Oh, Rogers has had a better career than Corbet, there's absolutely no doubt about that. It helps that he's 12/13 years older of course.

But playing games for St Francis 18 years ago, or winning the FAI Cup for Drogheda 13 years ago, or the Setanta Cup for Sligo 4 years ago, don't really impact as an assessment of the two players' abilities today, do they?

Corbet has played 2 senior games in the top flight with Waterford this season (no clean sheets) and a handful of European games in 2015 where he conceded 8 goals. Other than that he has played at a very low leval

Come back to this "debate" when he has actually played at least 12 top flight games.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 07/04/2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Unfair to call this a debate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Fair enough, didn't realise he was now with Waterford but I think the point still stands that if he was that good they wouldn't have brought in Vigoroux.
    There's probably more to it than that, in that Vigouroux is with Swindon, whose chairman owns/runs Waterford. They've sent lots of players on loan over there (I don't know why exactly, but that's a different thread!)

Waterford evidently have big ambitions, and on that basis, why not have two decent keepers? It's a squad game, plus Corbet can learn a lot from Vigouroux over the coming 2/3 months.

I think if a Conference sub defender can easily make his way into the Dundalk first team, then a League One starting goalkeeper would be a better option than Rogers too. If any club has a decent player and a better one comes along, they should look to sign the better one.

Agree with your last line - and as I say, in the end of the day, it's just a matter of differing opinions, none of which impacts what happens on the pitch in the slightest.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast