Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LOI fixtures Easter Weekend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    On another note from Fridays game, I was pleasantly surprised by the Brandywell pitch. I'm not a fan of artificial pitches, but it seemed to play reasonably well.

Looking back at the highlights now I'm still astounded that we didn't get anything from the game.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    On another note from Fridays game, I was pleasantly surprised by the Brandywell pitch. I'm not a fan of artificial pitches, but it seemed to play reasonably well.

Looking back at the highlights now I'm still astounded that we didn't get anything from the game.
    Conan Byrne on the GLITW podcast said its the best surface he's ever played in, grass or artificial. Be interesting to see how it holds up over time.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Was watching SR earlier and that came into my mind too it looks unbelievable the surface

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Never mind this highest paid player stuff, what about the physios? Darren Dillon is the highest paid in the league - FACT. I'm not sure if he gets fines for red cards
    There's a physio called Darren Dillon in the league? Who does he work for? He a relation to our S&C coach of the same name by any chance?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Watching soccer rep earlier, Bray v Cork, I wonder why Cork didn't take their 3rd red strip, would have made much more sense that to have a team in green and white (Bray) v a side in white and green (cork).

Then again it hardly effected the score from Corks perspective but was almost a green blur watching it.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Conan Byrne on the GLITW podcast said its the best surface he's ever played in, grass or artificial. Be interesting to see how it holds up over time.
    I wonder if there is a difference with that and ours and if so what is it? Other than the look that is, although that seems to be a major factor for most.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    I wonder if there is a difference with that and ours and if so what is it? Other than the look that is, although that seems to be a major factor for most.
    Anti-Dundalk bias I'd say. But whisper it because Cork will want a piece of that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Will UCD be fined for failing to arrange to get to their fixture on time?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Only fair that they’re deducted points I reckon.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Watching a game from Oriel on the tv I find you're always very aware (from the run of the ball etc) that it's an artificial surface. On Friday I almost forgot at times. It seemed to behave much more like a grass pitch.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Watching a game from Oriel on the tv I find you're always very aware (from the run of the ball etc) that it's an artificial surface. On Friday I almost forgot at times. It seemed to behave much more like a grass pitch.
    I was at the first game Derry played behind closed doors v Coleraine and the pitch was a bit dodgy but it's definitely improved in the past three games.

The contractors who installed it said it's the highest quality they've ever put down although it may have something to do with the underlay they used.

Hopefully we can get the floodlights realigned too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    The first few pitches Dundalk had were not great, and certainly the last one pre 2017 was in poor shape. This showed up very poor in rain but it probably looked a lot worse than it did to play on. Thankfully the 500k or so they paid to install the latest one in Jan 2017 is at last a good pitch, I think it's similar or even a replica to the FAI one in Abbotstown.

The one in Brandywell definitely looks a decent version too, hopefully it beds in well and won't need replacing for a good few years.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    That's the thing though, when we put in the new surface I'm sure it was said it was the best at the time. Have things advanced that much in 12 months that Derry's is significantly better?

I really think a lot of it has to do with aesthetics. If you look at the pitch in the Brandywell it has a pattern similar to how a grass pitch is cut, Oriel doesn't and I think that is noticeable.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    If athlone haven’t been fined for forcing 3 late kick offs in a row due to incorrect team sheets I’m sure UCD will be ok for getting stuck behind a tractor run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    A bit of the top don’t you think? Personally think it would be ridiculous to fine them, clubs are strapped as it is. Different story if they hadn’t of turned up though!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    If athlone haven’t been fined for forcing 3 late kick offs in a row due to incorrect team sheets I’m sure UCD will be ok for getting stuck behind a tractor run.
    Considering Cobh is the highest league of Ireland ground wonder was UCDs bus that old it got stuck going up the hill?!!!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Derry got fined a few years back for arriving at the ground, Tallaght, I think, about thirty minutes before kick-off. Match wasn't delayed or anything.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    That's the thing though, when we put in the new surface I'm sure it was said it was the best at the time. Have things advanced that much in 12 months that Derry's is significantly better?

I really think a lot of it has to do with aesthetics. If you look at the pitch in the Brandywell it has a pattern similar to how a grass pitch is cut, Oriel doesn't and I think that is noticeable.
    The main problems with Oriel seems to be two things from what I gather, the pitch isn't brushed nearly enough and you can see it progressively get flatter at times before it gets brushed, and the base its on doesn't seem to be the best quality, when they replaced the carpet last year they didn't do much to the base which can have an effect on how the pitch feels. Also Oriels blades of fake grass look shorter than the Brandywell but that could be the brushing again or just my eyes playing tricks on me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    The shock absorbing layer beneath the carpet was replaced in 2017. Id agree with you regarding the maintenance of the pitch previously, especially 2011/12, maybe they didnt bother too much with the old pitch either but since the replacement it has been maintained as per manufacturer guidance. The length of the fibre are standard for UEFA licence, though maybe a different manufacturers product could look and feel different. Dundalk's recent pitch was done by Limonta Sports (same as the training pitches at Abbotstown), I think the previous one was FieldTurf. It'd be interesting to know who Derry's pitch was done by.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234