Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: LOI fixtures - 16th to 19th March 2018

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Athlone are playing midfielder Luke Kelly in goal today. Only losing 2-1 just now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Finished 3-0 to us at Turners Cross. Strange game, never really got out of 1st gear but didn't have to. Bohs created nothing. 2 goals in a couple of mins in the first half ended the game. Great crowd there.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Finished 3-0 to us at Turners Cross. Strange game, never really got out of 1st gear but didn't have to. Bohs created nothing. 2 goals in a couple of mins in the first half ended the game. Great crowd there.
    Good win and the 3 goals help boost Corks goal difference, although not enough to prevent Rovers being top of the table on Friday night with two single goal victories away to Limerick tonight and then Waterford on Friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Absolutely bizapenalty for us today. Cross put it, over the head of our player, Bohs player throws his hand up and handles the ball, despite there being no immediate danger and other Bohs players around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Should be ahead but limerick are defending well. Have wasted a few decent free kicks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Well deserved win but can see lots of teams struggling here. Pitch is not great and also looks very small .

Kavanagh got sent off only downside but six points over the weekend is a great return.
    Roll on Friday.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Should be ahead but limerick are defending well. Have wasted a few decent free kicks.
    Well deserved win but can see lots of teams struggling here. Pitch is not great and also looks very small .

Kavanagh got sent off only downside but six points over the weekend is a great return.
    Roll on Friday.
    Did Rovers create a single clear cut chance on goal? I actually can’t remember one. Bar the penalty the game looked like it was heading for a 0-0 draw. No creativity whatsoever on the pitch.

Haven’t seen Dundalk yet myself but from what I have seen of Cork and Rovers there is a clear decline in the standard of the league. The loss of some of the top players to England clearly shining through. Probably be a few years before the current crop of youngsters start to shine.

The rest of the league looks fairly awful as well.

We have been the walking wounded the last two games and could have beaten Cork and should have got a draw tonight only for some madness from Kelly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Did Rovers create a single clear cut chance on goal? I actually can’t remember one. Bar the penalty the game looked like it was heading for a 0-0 draw. No creativity whatsoever on the pitch.

Haven’t seen Dundalk yet myself but from what I have seen of Cork and Rovers there is a clear decline in the standard of the league. The loss of some of the top players to England clearly shining through. Probably be a few years before the current crop of youngsters start to shine.

The rest of the league looks fairly awful as well.

We have been the walking wounded the last two games and could have beaten Cork and should have got a draw tonight only for some madness from Kelly.
    Let's be honest, that pitch is a serious leveler, you can't judge the standard of football played in the league based on what's played on that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Careful, you'll get all of foot.ie shut down - not just the Limerick forum.

Pitch is about as poor as Graham Kelly's reffing

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Let's be honest, that pitch is a serious leveler, you can't judge the standard of football played in the league based on what's played on that
    Pitch is brutal alright but the better players, the real quality ones have still stood out on it. It’s just a load of the average players have really struggled. It’s showing that there is very few quality players more than anything.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Good victory for Rovers against a limited side, and on a dog$hit pitch.
    on to friday, for what should be a decent game.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Pitch is brutal alright but the better players, the real quality ones have still stood out on it. It’s just a load of the average players have really struggled. It’s showing that there is very few quality players more than anything.
    Nonsense. Our skilful players couldn't do a bit on ye're pitch. McNamee had the worst game of his life. Sadlier wasn't much better. You can try to claim he's not real quality all you want, but that's pure rubbish. Theyre two of the most talented players in the league. The idea that 'real quality' can play better on it is silly. I'm sure it suits a certain style of player better, but that isn't a question of quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Good victory for Rovers against a limited side, and on a dog$hit pitch.
    on to friday, for what should be a decent game.
    Limited by having only half of our starting 11 available and it still needed a penalty to beat us.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    No doubt the pitch a problem however still does,n excuse the lack of chances created ,whatever about a young,inexperienced home team ,Rovers should be producing more.They only got the 3 pts due to rash reckless effort of Kelly who was hooked after it and needs to be benched anyway.TBF the players gave everything tonight and deserved more.Rovers dressingroom will have been buzzing after those 3 pts.
    Last edited by da bishop; 19/03/2018 at 9:15 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I’m sure it was tough on Waterford fans to lose it like that. However to be fair that was a decent display they gave up to half time.

In the second half though, apart from one or two counter attacks they were happy to sit and contain Dundalk. I will say one thing though, at least had a go in the first half, and at times they passed it about better than Cork did last Friday.

Pleasing to see Dundalk continue to keep it on the deck and to go wide into the 90th minute and beyond, totally deserved winner in the 93/94 minute.
    I would've felt guilty if we'd managed to get a point! It was Richard Dunne v Russia stuff for a lot of the game. We've already exceeded expectations for our current points tally (I'd have been delighted with 8 so far) so if we'd taken a point there with so many missing, it'd have been taking the mick!

Have to say Dundalk were excellent. Great standard of football even if they weren't at their best. A lot better than Cork were against us and I'd be inclined to give them the nod over Cork just about as title favourites. Duffy was killing Kavanagh down the left and that's where the goal came from (poor Garry Comerford was in bits after conceding it). Rory Feely has been our find of the season at right back but he's going to be out for a few weeks. Vigouroux made a couple of exceptional saves. Browne and Webster were awesome, but we were under the cosh for most the game and not much we could do about it. Credit to Rennie for giving the Dundalk defence something different to think about by bringing on John Martin (a midfielder) up front and he did really well. We had one sub left, but two attackers and two kids left on the bench so we kind of had to sit tight even though Dean O'Halloran was out on his feet (he had moved from lone striker to right wing to help Kavanagh). Kenny Browne had a possible concussion at the end but had to stay on (not something I'm a fan of).

We've won four and lost two, but I don't think either defeat was a setback. Away to Dundalk and Cork, any points we get will be a massive bonus. The defeats would only have been a setback if we lost heavily in either. One dodgy thing is that Courtney Duffus missed the game despite being fit because he supposedly can't play on astro pitches after a hip injury - I'm taking it that it's part of his loan terms from Oldham (ironic for older fans!) so presumably he'll be out for Derry too. Hery and Akinade hadn't recovered from injuries and neither Keegan nor Aborah could do 90 on astro either so we were short-handed. On the plus side, Sander Puri looked back to his best. Apart from Feely, we should be back to full strength for Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    I seen photos of the Lims pitch blanketed in snow yesterday posted on Twitter.I'm surprised the match went ahead at all today tbh and Shams fans having a go at it now after winning 1-0!
    Whats the problem?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Market's Field View Post
    Limited by having only half of our starting 11 available and it still needed a penalty to beat us.

In fairness , can you argue on the balance of play that the result wasn't correct?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    I seen photos of the Lims pitch blanketed in snow yesterday posted on Twitter.I'm surprised the match went ahead at all today tbh and Shams fans having a go at it now after winning 1-0!
    Whats the problem?
    The pitch is absolutely awful to be fair. You can see players needing an extra second/extra touch to ensure they have it under control, before they can start to use it. That's going to hinder a team that likes quick passing more than one that doesn't.

Now that schools rugby is over, the weather is (hopefully) warming, and it has a weekend off, it will get the rest and treatment it needs to improve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    In fairness , can you argue on the balance of play that the result wasn't correct?
    I'm not going to fall into the trap of having an argument with you - I've seen some of the other threads 😉

My point was that we are missing 7 of our most experienced players from an already small squad so it is easy to label us as limited. And ye created almost nothing from open play in the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Dalymount, Turners Cross and Galway’s pitches that I’ve seen have all been poor this year. Markets Field is absolutely terrible but I don’t think anyone’s surface is top notch considering the winter we’ve had.
    Ha?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast