First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Stephen Bradley

Relax a little.

Rovers played the top two in recent weeks and took 1 point from a possible 6. That's not league winning form
    And drawing with Bray at home is?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Ye gotta luv the Shamrock fans default response. Clubs are either obsessed, jealous or bitter. Or a combination of all three.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Ye gotta luv the Shamrock fans default response. Clubs are either obsessed, jealous or bitter. Or a combination of all three.
    Normally I don't think that but this Ezeikial lad is 100% obsessed, posts more about Rovers than Dundalk on here I'd say

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    And drawing with Bray at home is?
    Certainly not, that draw and the one against Rovers is not title winning form.

Normally I don't think that but this Ezeikial lad is 100% obsessed, posts more about Rovers than Dundalk on here I'd say
    Do you see the irony of you posing questions to me and then whinging when I give you the courtesy of a response?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Completely true. The rumour is bradser stole his girlfriend gotta be an explanation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Certainly not, that draw and the one against Rovers is not title winning form.

Do you see the irony of you posing questions to me and then whinging when I give you the courtesy of a response?
    So nobody's winning the title then...

The questions were rhetorical, no winging here(i find your obsession with everything Rovers, especially Bradley, quite amusing actually) , you actually brought up Rovers before I asked any questions(as per usual), nope can't see any irony there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Completely true. The rumour is bradser stole his girlfriend gotta be an explanation.
    I don't think it's fair for you to take Bradser's personal life into it - he just doesn't seem to be a lothario type. Based on one of his many infamous quotes, he might have enough problems in that department already

'My wife won't be happy but I'll go over the game tonight till all hours'

http://www.the42.ie/dundalk-shamrock...69508-Feb2018/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I don't think it's fair for you to take Bradser's personal life into it - he just doesn't seem to be a lothario type. Based on one of his many infamous quotes, he might have enough problems in that department already
    The fact you actually remembered that/had it saved/looked it up is fairly pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    So nobody's winning the title then...

I suspect that same two teams who have battled for the title in 2017, 2016, 2015, and 2014 will do so again

Despite having some quality players, there is no indication of Rovers being able to seriously challenge - 1 point from 6 available in those recent games supports this

The questions were rhetorical, no winging here(i find your obsession with everything Rovers, especially Bradley, quite amusing actually) , you actually brought up Rovers before I asked any questions(as per usual), nope can't see any irony there.
    If you re-read the thread you may see that I replied to a comment that sbgawa made comparing Rovers with Cork & Dundalk (post #124 / #125) - I did not actually bring up Rovers at all!

If you ask a question (rhetorical or otherwise) or post a comment, please don't be surprised if someone responds (especially the person you aimed it at). If you just want to applaud each other and pay homage to Bradser (should it have a capital or lowercase B ?) the Hoops forum is probably the safest bet.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 14/03/2018 at 3:17 PM. Reason: post numbers added to guide RH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    The fact you actually remembered that/had it saved/looked it up is fairly pathetic.
    I have this bookmarked - it makes for hours of fascinating entertainment

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Farcial+Bradser+quotes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Ah EZ come on if anyone including me throws out a reference to Rovers your in like Flynn, it used to bother me but now I just expect it.
    You do seem strangely interested in Bradser , I'd say in his second full season as a manager he is putting a decent stamp on the team and what the non Rovers fans don't see is the work he does in the Academy with the kids and that is where the long term future of the club is.
    Even St Stephen Kenny took a few years to win a trophy.

You could be right it could be the same two teams again but having seen Cork and Dundalk I think Cork look the stronger team having said that its only one match each.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    sgbawa is constantly trying to shut down any discussion on here regarding his beloved Rovers and Bradley. If you mention either you are obsessed. Its tiresome. Its a discussion forum, people come here to discuss LOI topics other than just those about thier own clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Tiresome is the lack of actual debate rather than just negative abuse, I enjoy discussion, hence my comments above about short time in the job and the work he does around the club to try to explain to non rovers fans why he gets the support he does. He's also on a budget that is less than either Cork or Dundalk..

I'd actually love a constructive debate , above I said I thought Cork looked the stronger of last years top two, what was your opinion of Rovers on Monday compared to our last trip to Cork?
    I thought Sadlier was the best player for you guys on the pitch by a mile, what did you think of Kavanagh or Car?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Thought you were very poor. Said as much earlier in the thread. i think Bradley is holding back an otherwise talented squad.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I thought we were the better team in the first half and looked the likelier to score (the Irish Times agreed with me so its not just my blinkers ) , you guys were far better in the second half and gave us a lot more trouble than Dundalk hence my thinking that you are looking stronger of last years top two.
    I don't agree with you on Bradser holding us back but I've seen all of our matches and our performance in Cork particularly in second half was weak compared to other games.
    Not sure I could agree with calling us very poor, we lost 1 nil away from home to the Champions to a penalty compared to a 4-1 loss last year but that's my perspective.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    We were the better team up to the peno, which came from corks second attack of the night. Cork started the second half better and got a chance or two from us being sloppy at the back. Not many chances for either team in the game.All the teams at the top will drop a good few points this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I would argue it was poor finishing on our part that kept it to 1-0. 3 or 4-0 could have easily happened on another night.
    McNamee and Sadlier had very good games and created loads for our attackers.
    Cummins didn't get much shrift from the ref either as he had centre halves hanging off him all night but we still did enough to win.

As for Bradley, I don't think hes a very good manager. Hes lost 20 of 55 league games since taking over from Fenlon. Caulfield has lost 20 of 137 games. We lost just 5 games in his first season and have never lost more than 5 in a season under him. When he took us over we had just finished 6th for the second straight season and were going nowhere. I don't think hes taken you forward which I think we have seen from Caufield and Kenny and even Shields at Derry under difficult circumstances.

Since 2014 these are Rovers points tallies. 62,58,62,54. The gap to the league winners in that same span is 12, 20, 15, 22. You were 15 off Dundalk last year. You aren't getting closer to the top two despite Bradleys comments that he thinks you are. Maybe this year is different, the table is still forming but as has been pointed out you are level on points with Limerick, and have taken just 1 point from your two games with the top two teams.

But e keep hearing about this youth project in Tallaght, its ok for Rovers to fall short while they develop players. Admirable I guess. Lets look at Mondays teams:

McNulty 37
    McCarthy 19
    Barry 25
    McLoughlin 21
    Griffin 23
    McCormack 27
    Morrissey 26
    Sadlier 23
    McNamee 26
    Sheppard 27
    Cummins 30

Horgan 21
    O'Brien 32
    Grace 25
    Gilchrist 23
    Byrne 24
    Bone 19
    Miele 23
    Finn 30
    Burke 24
    Kavanagh 24
    Carr 24

Both field the same amount of teenagers. Cork Citys Average Age is 25.8. Shamrock Rovers is 24.45. We have the edge in experience but take Nults out and our average falls to just 24.7. Who are these players ye are developing? Kevin Horgan certainly isn't one of them. We both have four players under 24 Perhaps thats an arbitrary point, and you have a lot of 24 year olds who in a year or two will be the core of a good side potentially, but by the time that happens Dundlk and Cork City will have continued to replenish our squads from youth/externally. Regardless I don't see this as a UCD level of development which is what the media wants us to believe. Maybe its all about Aaron Bolger? Hes played 26 minutes this season in a 6-0 win over Bray so hes not exactly holding the team back with his development.
    Caulfield has undoubtedly developed Sean Maguire, Kevin O'Connor and Brian Lenihan, takingthree unheralded players and turning them into some of the best players in the league. Maguire may have been a star at Waterford but that was a long time previous and many had given up on him. You could also argue he turned Gearoid Morrissey into one of the best players in the league. Twice. Has made Karl Sheppard the most effective wide player in the league. Took a clumsy Mark McNulty and turned him into arguably the best keeper in the league (though we credit Biscuits for that).
    Kenny has taken a series of underrated/unheraled players and turned them into the best players in the country.

So Bradley isn't improving Rovers in the league, or against the best teams, or even winning cups and so far we haven't really seen him take a player and improve them (Miele was massively rated a couple of years ago and now everyone has sort of forgotten about him) so what exactly is it that makes Rovers fans think hes doing a good job?

I don't understand what Bradleys success are and I don't understand how Bradley isn't under pressure to deliver more given the fact that the top clubs most likely have relatively comparable resources available, perhaps with Dundalk having the edge through Europe/Investment but I hope he remains in charge for a long time.
    Last edited by El-Pietro; 14/03/2018 at 5:08 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    We were the better team up to the peno, which came from corks second attack of the night. Cork started the second half better and got a chance or two from us being sloppy at the back. Not many chances for either team in the game.All the teams at the top will drop a good few points this year.
    We had at least 3 absolutely clear cut chances that were disappointing not to be scored, from Cummins and McNamee. Few half chances outside that.

I was surprised at how little rovers offered in attack against a very inexperienced back line. I was convinced yed score a few but the likes of Burke Miele and Carr offered very little.

I expected rovers to be stronger than they were, but I do think ye're a stronger team than last year overall. Our finishing was disappointing, but after a nervy first half hour it was a good performance.
    Last edited by micls; 14/03/2018 at 5:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    We are def stronger but didn't produce enough on Monday, that being said kavanagh was unlucky not to score and Luke hit the bar amongst other chances. Asterix is right points will be dropped this year by all to a greater extent than last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Tiresome is the lack of actual debate rather than just negative abuse, I enjoy discussion, hence my comments above about short time in the job and the work he does around the club to try to explain to non rovers fans why he gets the support he does. He's also on a budget that is less than either Cork or Dundalk..

I'd actually love a constructive debate , above I said I thought Cork looked the stronger of last years top two, what was your opinion of Rovers on Monday compared to our last trip to Cork?
    I thought Sadlier was the best player for you guys on the pitch by a mile, what did you think of Kavanagh or Car?
    It’s very welcome if you are willing to move with a discussion away from accusations of obsession, bitterness, jealousy and other barbs

On the Stephen Bradley subject, the truth is that it is hard to ignore him as a fascinating League of Ireland personality. He is the manager of the largest League of Ireland club in Dublin, and consequently is guaranteed a captive audience from the Dublin-centric sports journos. But he just can't help himself with some of his bizarre comments - he is like a moth to a flame in terms of what he has to say and leaves himself open to ridicule. Many Rovers fans I have spoken to would prefer if he could learn to be more measured in what he says. If he is learning in this regard, it seems to be very slowly.

My personal belief is that he is tactically naïve and is directly responsible for much of the indiscipline that has attracted so many red cards last season.

While you mention the Academy and imply that this is critical to the future well-being of the club – the reality is that there is no guarantee of success or a return on investment here. Irrespective of that, winning an under 13 cup or under 15 league will be of little use to Bradley’s long-term job security, unless he makes it happen at senior level.

In 2015 Rovers finished with 65 points and 12 points off the league winners – In 2016 Bradley led Rovers to 55 points and a whopping 22 points off the top. If 2017 was his first full season, Bradley failed to narrow the gap to the top and actually gathered less points than in either of the previous season.

Any comparison with Stephen Kenny is way off the mark – he took Dundalk to 2nd place in his first season on a shoestring budget and then won the first of 3 in a row in his second season. John Caulfield is another interesting contrast – where he took Cork from nowhere to league challengers before capturing the cup and then league & cup.

With the talent available in the squad, Rovers should be serious challengers for the title this season. In my opinion Stephen Bradley is the main reason why this challenge is unlikely to transpire
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 14/03/2018 at 4:58 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast