Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixtures 9th - 12th March

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Drogheda 4-0 up on Athlone after an hour in what's their first game of the season.

Hard to tell if Drogheda are any good or if Athlone are just really crap.

Edit - sorry, it's now 5-0 up after an hour.
    I was at the game (6-0), could have been 10-0 but I couldn’t judge our level as tbh Athlone were dire. We beat them but I need to see us against better opposition before I can judge properly.
    Last edited by SeanDrog; 11/03/2018 at 7:25 PM.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    Over the moon with Waterford's start. If we got 7 points from the opening four games, I'd have been delighted so 9 is incredible. A draw would've been a fair result on Friday, but we had the ability to see out a lot of second half pressure and nick the win. Delighted with that. A good few knocks after a tough game so there are doubts over Hery, Holohan, Keegan, Aborah, Akinade, O'Halloran for tomorrow. I'm feeling confident that we'll avoid a relegation battle and finish somewhere between fourth and seventh.

Fair play to the Sligo stewards and cops. They provided an away section for us this time, were sound out and acted quickly when a Sligo fans ran to the away section and threw a flare right at kids' faces just after the final whistle. The head cop said they were going to treat it as "assault with a firearm" in which case, he's in major trouble. Thanks to the Sligo fans who helped catch him and bring him to the guards - they're a truer reflection of their fans. Nobody hurt luckily enough.
    Sligo have had a schooligan problem for a few years now. The club have been made more than aware of it on social media, everyone in the town knows who they are and I’m just shocked they haven’t had their heads kicked in yet. This is the sort of crap that happens when clubs don’t take action against repeated trouble makers

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Big game down here tonight. Rovers coming down off the back of a brilliant result on Friday and us needing to shake off that poor performance and defeat against Dundalk. Big performance needed tonight, even at this early stage it's important not to lose 2 games in a row.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Another game that feels bigger than 3 points tonight, i'll have to remind myself about that after the match win lose or draw.
    This might sound a bit silly but even though we won 6-0 against Bray and 6-1 against Derry both games were nip and tuck until half time, I'm hopeful rather than confident about tonight, I'd take a point and the hope that comes with it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Two pretty poor teams in Dalymount on Friday night, neither will be pushing for Europe come the end of the season but both good enough to avoid relegation.
    Here on a technicality.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Poor JC whinging again about how Dundalk "targetted" Conor McCormack and that he had to be taken off after 21 minutes as a result.

Its not clear if that was Dundalk players feigning being fouled that led to this or whether it was the Dundalk crowd being unpleasant to him, or whether the ref remembered his red card history. It's obviously nothing to do with Conor McCormack's multiple fouling or losing the head with all around him, including his own team mates

McCormack was replaced after just 21 minutes in the 1-0 defeat to the Lilywhites at Oriel Park, and Caulfield admits he feared the Louth man would be sent off.

“Conor is a phenomenal player, he loves it here, and we love him. The problem you have is he was targeted,” the Cork City boss said yesterday. “In his history, he was sent off three times previously against Dundalk with other clubs, so it’s one of those situations where he’s on his last warning with 70 or 80 minutes of the match to play.

“It’s a very hard decision to make. you don’t want to do it but you are aware the next tackle he’s going to go because it was that kind of hostile atmosphere. It was difficult but there’s no issue with Conor.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...ck-468194.html
    I hope that none of the nasty Rovers folk upset him tonight, taking advantage of his delicate state

I think I might send Conor a bunch of flowers and a nice snowflake card to cheer him up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Another game that feels bigger than 3 points tonight, i'll have to remind myself about that after the match win lose or draw.
    This might sound a bit silly but even though we won 6-0 against Bray and 6-1 against Derry both games were nip and tuck until half time, I'm hopeful rather than confident about tonight, I'd take a point and the hope that comes with it
    Fascinating tie in Turners Cross tonight.

A lot depends on whether Bennett plays. Cork desperately need him. Cork are dangerous through Sadlier and Sheppard. Sadlier will be a big test for Boyle, but I would expect Clarke to be able to deal with Sheppard.

Cork's back four will struggle to contain Burke, Miele, Finn, and Kavanagh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I'd say Boyle will be out he looked pretty hobbled when he came off Friday, so Joey O Brien might make his debut tonight.
    Bolger is still down as doubtful but i don't see Bradser rushing him back in. He didn't play Finn against Dundalk or Bray rather than risk him being out for longer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Fascinating tie in Turners Cross tonight.

A lot depends on whether Bennett plays. Cork desperately need him. Cork are dangerous through Sadlier and Sheppard. Sadlier will be a big test for Boyle, but I would expect Clarke to be able to deal with Sheppard.

Cork's back four will struggle to contain Burke, Miele, Finn, and Kavanagh.
    Absolutely fascinating

Cork's defeat at Oriel is bad news for Rovers as they are likely to be really fired up.

Cork are very powerful in midfield and incisive in the wide positions; Rovers could struggle to contain them on the flanks. Boyle appears to be doubtful, but if he plays he will need a lot of help to deal with Sadlier.

Bennett playing is almost essential for Cork - otherwise Shaw should dominate Aaron Barry and Conor McCarthy. Centre back and centre forward are areas of weakness in this Cork team from what I have seen of them

Midfield is likely to be no place for the faint-hearted tonight. Bradley says Rovers are disciplined this season (despite the 2 red cards in pre-season) - I doubt it and will not be surprised if there is a red card or two!

I don't agree with the narrative that Cork played badly on Friday - I think that did as well as what they were allowed. If Rovers have the right tactics and attitude they could get something from this game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Memo to travelling Rovers fans - please be respectful and quiet when Snowflake is on the ball

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Poor JC whinging again about how Dundalk "targetted" Conor McCormack and that he had to be taken off after 21 minutes as a result.

Its not clear if that was Dundalk players feigning being fouled that led to this or whether it was the Dundalk crowd being unpleasant to him, or whether the ref remembered his red card history. It's obviously nothing to do with Conor McCormack's multiple fouling or losing the head with all around him, including his own team mates

I hope that none of the nasty Rovers folk upset him tonight, taking advantage of his delicate state

I think I might send Conor a bunch of flowers and a nice snowflake card to cheer him up
    You got there before me. Hilarious stuff from Caulfield. Poor shy, intimidated Conor forced into multiple fouls by the Dundalk bullies! At one stage he looked like he was going to deck Beattie. He had lost the plot completely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The Pats match will be interesting as well , hard to know how good Pats are , their results are a bit all over the place.
    Dundalk should have to much for them all over the Park but they will be up for it as a result tonight will give them a great start to the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Rather Hilariously I see JC quoted as calling for a "passionate and hostile" atmosphere tonight in a "massive game".
    I hope none of our lads are upset

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Memo to travelling Rovers fans - please be respectful and quiet when Snowflake is on the ball

The only memo anyone from Dundalk should be issuing to travelling fans is a health warning about the away end in Oriel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The Pats match will be interesting as well , hard to know how good Pats are , their results are a bit all over the place.
    Dundalk should have to much for them all over the Park but they will be up for it as a result tonight will give them a great start to the season.
    I'm not that hopeful really. Dandork (copyright Ger Canning) are obviously better than us on paper, but we gave Cork a decent game, so who knows. As you say, our results are a bit up and down so far. Still we appear to be better than last year, so at least there is progress. I like Garvan in the middle, and Clarke up front looks decent too. Conan Byrne is still a class act too.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshead View Post
    The only memo anyone from Dundalk should be issuing to travelling fans is a health warning about the away end in Oriel.
    As we speak the letters are being prepared for the visiting Waterford fans on Friday.

In the meantime, it is reasonable to express concern for the well-being of your captain - if he was not already traumatised by events last Friday, his managers comments must be causing him all sorts of anxiety.

I see from the Examiner article that to help him recover JC has given him a guarantee that he will play every match this season

He’ll be in the team tomorrow and every week from now on. Hopefully tomorrow we will see a totally different performance.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    As we speak the letters are being prepared for the visiting Waterford fans on Friday.

In the meantime, it is reasonable to express concern for the well-being of your captain - if he was not already traumatised by events last Friday, his managers comments must be causing him all sorts of anxiety.

I see from the Examiner article that to help him recover JC has given him a guarantee that he will play every match this season

Nowhere in that Examiner piece does it suggest JC says McCormack was targetted by fans, and he clearly means being targetted by players looking to draw another yellow out of him.

But I suppose if my club's sorry excuse for a ground was the scene of embarrassment due to either the facilities or some of the attendees, I might look for a handy deflection too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshead View Post
    Nowhere in that Examiner piece does it suggest JC says McCormack was targetted by fans, and he clearly means being targetted by players looking to draw another yellow out of him.

But I suppose if my club's sorry excuse for a ground was the scene of embarrassment due to either the facilities or some of the attendees, I might look for a handy deflection too.
    To be fair no dundalk fan is deflecting attention from what happened post game. Everyone I have spoken to have been disgusted by one or two people's actions and we hope the perpetrators are caught and dealt with. If this happened on the steet people would be calling for them to be locked up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    There is at least one Dundalk poster who is consistently deflecting on this issue, both here and on OW.
    On the other hand I don't think I've seen any city fans deflecting from the poor performance, nor do I see JC giving excuses. He is usually quite magnanimous in defeat.
    Some people saying that he was unhappy with the hostile atmosphere but then hypocritically calling for the same tonight at TX. I don't think hes being hypocritical, I think he is saying that the occasion/atmosphere unsettled/unfocused McCormack and that contributed to a poor performance from us. I don't think he was saying that the Dundalk fans should be quiet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I'm not that hopeful really. Dandork (copyright Ger Canning) are obviously better than us on paper, but we gave Cork a decent game, so who knows. As you say, our results are a bit up and down so far. Still we appear to be better than last year, so at least there is progress. I like Garvan in the middle, and Clarke up front looks decent too. Conan Byrne is still a class act too.
    We just need Dundalk to get a few lads sent off.

I reckon they're going to give us a hammering tonight
    Here on a technicality.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast