Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Sounds like an improvement on recent seasons so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Anyways, not a great game in the Bowl last night. One of Limerick/Bray will still be in the Premier next season on last night's showing I think.
    It wasn't a bad game to be fair. Both teams tried to play, there was plenty of rustiness and both teams will feel they had chances to win it. I think you're reading a bit too much into the game, we're only two games into the season after all.

We can only improve, we looked very disjointed at times and you could see that UCD were sharper in general and had the better of the play, but I'd expect that with them having the Collingwood, etc. We had a very fractured pre season and it shows big time.

I thought we had the better of the "clear cut" chances and Murphy could've and probably should've scored late on and McCormack drew an impressive save from Kearns after turning Kougoun inside out in the first half. That said, Ryan had to make a few important saves for us too.

We were probably three players off our strongest eleven last night. Robbie Williams (injured), Alex Byrne and Carlton Ubaezuonu will hopefully start against Cabo.

Overall, a draw was probably a fair outcome. I would expect both teams to be challenging for the title come the end of the season. At the very least, both to be in the top 4.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Thought it was scrappy myself, with dodgy defences at times. Far from the worst I've seen; just not great. But no bothers if you have a different view obviously. The Collingwood sounds great, and is, but it does mean a surprisingly fractured pre-season for us too, cos not all the squad are eligible to play.

Was surprised that Ubaezuono was on the bench actually; was he injured?

Agree you'd expect both to be in the top 4 alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    I’d consider play ‘bad’ and winning a good thing, wouldn’t you? It’s by no means a fluke we’re tied top and Sligo and near the bottom and we then beat Sligo. We deservedly beat Pats and Derry prior to the fixture. You talk about how many shots a team has had on target, that is irrelevant if they don’t go in the goal. The only thing matters is the number that go into the net. Nonetheless 9/12 points and only lost to last years league winners certainly no way we could complain, great start to the season.
    Games ye played against Derry or Pats are hardly relevant either and my comment about two of three ain't bad was a compliment, but seeing you are so ungracious in victory, let me say, the day will not be long before your club will be back playing in front of 156 people at a corporation running track or a bord na cgon whippet facility.
    You see success in the LOI is not just about winning trophy's it's also about getting the people out game after game season after season and never, ever ever having to supporting 2.0 versions of clubs at a venue obtained via the largesse of the state or the FAI in any of their incarnations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Thought it was scrappy myself, with dodgy defences at times. Far from the worst I've seen; just not great. But no bothers if you have a different view obviously. The Collingwood sounds great, and is, but it does mean a surprisingly fractured pre-season for us too, cos not all the squad are eligible to play.

Was surprised that Ubaezuono was on the bench actually; was he injured?

Agree you'd expect both to be in the top 4 alright.
    Carlton was carrying an injury over the last few weeks of pre season which ruled him out of starting against Athlone and understandably, players kept their places in the team after a decent win. He has definitely played his way into the team now though I think.

Robbie Williams was injured, he's a very important player for us. An under-19 graduate started instead of him. In fairness, he didn't do too badly in his place but I wouldn't want to be making a habit out of that.

Alex Byrne not starting was a strange decision, we lacked shape and bite in the centre of the park and UCD cut through us a few times with ease, Conor Barry is not a central midfielder...
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Watched the Dundalk-Cork game on EirSports....... The only real downside of the evening was the commentator insisting on pronouncing the goalscorer as "whoobun" ...
    When he was with Dundalk the first time, 2013-2014, he mentioned this, it's the local way of pronouncing his name in Galway, with an extra O.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    When he was with Dundalk the first time, 2013-2014, he mentioned this, it's the local way of pronouncing his name in Galway, with an extra O.
    Fair enough, it just sounds off somehow, something not quite right with how it's pronounced like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Games ye played against Derry or Pats are hardly relevant either and my comment about two of three ain't bad was a compliment, but seeing you are so ungracious in victory, let me say, the day will not be long before your club will be back playing in front of 156 people at a corporation running track or a bord na cgon whippet facility.
    You see success in the LOI is not just about winning trophy's it's also about getting the people out game after game season after season and never, ever ever having to supporting 2.0 versions of clubs at a venue obtained via the largesse of the state or the FAI in any of their incarnations.
    Aren’t majority of the clubs in the leagues renting their ground? What relevance do the Venus have. I’m not ungracious in defeat, I was just pointing out. If we can play bad and win that’s a good sign. Why the sense of bitterness from you? Nasty reply imo

I think it’s Rich coming from a Sligo fan having a dig at our dire financial state in recent years, you were in the same position as us not long ago. Completely taken my comment up wrong. I’d consider these type of results the important ones. Regardless of anything else. League of Ireland football would of ended in Waterford in 2016 if it wasn’t for Lee Power so I’ll be as obnoxious as I want because during the run into the end of 2016 I expected to not see a game anything soon. I do always find a high level of bitterness among the Sligo support since the win the league in 2012 (?) online

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

* - I'm aware that in the Ireland forum, I've suggested Cummins and Hoban deserve consideration for the preliminary squad, but that's largely because our striking options are so limited at present.
    As an aside, it seems I've been forced again to review my opinion of Cummins. I thought he was muck in the Presidents Cup, despite a tidy finish for the 4 th goal. He then goes and scores 4 in barely 120 minutes of league action - stimulating some drama queens to screech for his international consideration .

On his return to Oriel for a real match, a league humbling, former conference loanee puts him in his pocket.

Is Cummins limited or Cleary exceptional?

If Dan Cleary continues this form he might even be able to raise the flagging and demoralised spirits of the whole league community,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Aren’t majority of the clubs in the leagues renting their ground?
    Would say seven of the clubs own their grounds at least?

Harps, Sligo, Athlone, Longford, UCD, Cobh and Pat's be the only ones who own their grounds?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Would say seven of the clubs own their grounds at least?

Harps, Sligo, Athlone, Longford, UCD, Cobh and Pat's be the only ones who own their grounds?
    My thought was;

Blues, Bohs, Bray, Derry, Rovers, Shels are council owned.

Dundalk, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Cabinteely, Athlone (?) renting privately.

FAI owned, Drogheda, Wexford, Cobh (?)

Club owned, Harps, Sligo, Pats, Longford, UCD.

Obviously open for correction I had a few beers last night 😂

I was thinking 5 were club own. I had thought Cobh for some reason was FAI owned like United park for some reason and to be honest I couldn’t even tell you why. Athlone do they actually own there ground - Isn’t there a court currently in place, Athlone claim they received a gift to pay off the ground and the stadium group claim Athlone stopped paying rent and owe them a substantial amount as they own the ground?

Regardless still the majority to be fair. Without the council you’d wonder what Blues, Rovers, Derry, Bray would be doing. Bray they’d be dumped in a field in the middle of nowhere if it wasn’t for the council owning the ground I suspect. I’d be shocked if the other three have better grounds then what they have - Especially us and Rovers, think both have fantastic facilities, only down side to the RSC the distance from the pitch. By 3020 Bohs and Shels might have a state of the art stadium. Financially I assume it’ll help Bohs to clearing so of the debt (?)

Open for correction, Nigel you seem like you know your stuff, so I sure you might have more insight then myself. Let’s be honest I’m a spoof - and I’m being serious too 😂🙈

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    My thought was;

Blues, Bohs, Bray, Derry, Rovers, Shels are council owned.

Dundalk, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Cabinteely, Athlone (?) renting privately.

FAI owned, Drogheda, Wexford, Cobh (?)

Club owned, Harps, Sligo, Pats, Longford, UCD.

Obviously open for correction I had a few beers last night 😂

I was thinking 5 were club own. I had thought Cobh for some reason was FAI owned like United park for some reason and to be honest I couldn’t even tell you why. Athlone do they actually own there ground - Isn’t there a court currently in place, Athlone claim they received a gift to pay off the ground and the stadium group claim Athlone stopped paying rent and owe them a substantial amount as they own the ground?

Regardless still the majority to be fair. Without the council you’d wonder what Blues, Rovers, Derry, Bray would be doing. Bray they’d be dumped in a field in the middle of nowhere if it wasn’t for the council owning the ground I suspect. I’d be shocked if the other three have better grounds then what they have - Especially us and Rovers, think both have fantastic facilities, only down side to the RSC the distance from the pitch. By 3020 Bohs and Shels might have a state of the art stadium. Financially I assume it’ll help Bohs to clearing so of the debt (?)

Open for correction, Nigel you seem like you know your stuff, so I sure you might have more insight then myself. Let’s be honest I’m a spoof - and I’m being serious too 😂🙈
    Yep Cobh is fai owned, they sold it when the hit financial issues to keep afloat. They only have so many years to buy it back at a cut price or the fai keep it and won’t sell it for less than it’s worth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    UCD the college own the Bowl, not the club. Remember it's been the home of the rugby team for 80+ years. The football team are only there 10 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    By 3020 Bohs and Shels might have a state of the art stadium.
    Sounds about right the way it's been dragging already.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Ferrycarrig Park is jointly owned by the FAI and Wexford Football League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Dundalk have released a statement about the glass and bottle throwing. Good to see them acknowledge it and work to change it. Once too often for city fans I'd imagine though, I'd say most won't be returning anytime soon, understandably.

I was definitely impressed by Cleary and obviously Dundalks defensive record so far speaks for itself. But none of our players asked any questions of them really, all over the park. I haven't seen that for a long term. Dundalk were well fired up, as expected, and it just seemed like the game bypassed our lads. A good response tomorrow night, and I wouldn't really be concerned,these things happen. But tomorrow night is huge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I'm glad the club have released a statement. Too often, these incidents are glossed over, as Clubs don't want to give credence to them having occured. That is a short sighted approach that gives yobs the impression that they can act as they like.

While a statement is positive, I want to see action taken. The people involved have no place in Oriel Park.

I can understand Cork fans being reluctant to return, but if the right steps are taken, I hope that they will in time see Oriel Park as a safe, if uncomfortable, place to see a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Hopefully. But the last time I was in oriel we had golf balls and stuff thrown at us. This time others had this experience. I wouldn't be rushing back. The statement is a good thing but the lack of security was a primary issue and the club don't actually seem to have taken any responsibility for letting it happen. That's disappointing and I hope that's addressed as well as trying point ban the scumbags involved

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Drogheda 4-0 up on Athlone after an hour in what's their first game of the season.

Hard to tell if Drogheda are any good or if Athlone are just really crap.

Edit - sorry, it's now 5-0 up after an hour.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Over the moon with Waterford's start. If we got 7 points from the opening four games, I'd have been delighted so 9 is incredible. A draw would've been a fair result on Friday, but we had the ability to see out a lot of second half pressure and nick the win. Delighted with that. A good few knocks after a tough game so there are doubts over Hery, Holohan, Keegan, Aborah, Akinade, O'Halloran for tomorrow. I'm feeling confident that we'll avoid a relegation battle and finish somewhere between fourth and seventh.

Fair play to the Sligo stewards and cops. They provided an away section for us this time, were sound out and acted quickly when a Sligo fans ran to the away section and threw a flare right at kids' faces just after the final whistle. The head cop said they were going to treat it as "assault with a firearm" in which case, he's in major trouble. Thanks to the Sligo fans who helped catch him and bring him to the guards - they're a truer reflection of their fans. Nobody hurt luckily enough.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast