Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Turkey V Republic of Ireland - Antalya - 23rd March 2018 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    This issue raised about Rice looking around for someone to pass to. Harry Arter has made taking the ball from the back 4 his stock and trade at Bournemouth. A Rice-Arter axis could be key to us in the future.
    It won’t stop our defence panicking and hoofing it cos their first touch was poor.

Another thing I noticed. When ball was in the air Turkish defenders generally headed it toward one of their own players. When ball was in the air for Irish defence they generally just headed it anywhere away from goal. Invariably to the feet of a Turk

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I've just read an interview with Rice where he says he only knew he was playing an hour before KO. I really hate that. How can you know and prepare for your role if you don't know you're playing? And yet we concede from set pieces all the time.

I can't stand Dunphy and no doubt Owls Fan will have something to say but I agree with every word he says here

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36739142.html

O'Neill is a relic of pre-2008 football and he is harming this team and its prospects. I wish he had gone to Stoke.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 24/03/2018 at 11:50 AM.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I have to say regardless of his Villa exploits, Conor Hourihane has never once played anywhere near the required level for Ireland

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Is there anything FIFA can do with the Rules of football to stop teams playing like Ireland do . Its a sort of Anti-Football . Ok I have had one or two ( glasses of vino ) .

But the way Ireland and similar teams play football has to be stopped .

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is there anything FIFA can do with the Rules of football to stop teams playing like Ireland do . Its a sort of Anti-Football . Ok I have had one or two ( glasses of vino ) .

Ban heading.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post

What similar teams?

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Frustrating to watch to say the least. Friendly or not, we look absolutely clueless.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What similar teams?
    The Icelandic way of playing ain’t exactly beautiful to watch for a neutral . People sort of put up with it because it has been successful for a small country . Norway down through the years ( I don’t know their style at the moment ) were the opposite of must see football .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Sorry Old fella, I was actually joking and wasn't expecting a serious answer! I don't think anyone is as bad to watch as we are though. Icelands's results in qualifying have been amazing and the performances have been superior to anything we ever do.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 25/03/2018 at 10:02 PM.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Right on, man.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Afaics there are no teams who play the game like us. Even the 'minnows' play good football against similar standard teams and also against many of the better teams. It's not the mistakes on the pitch that worry me about that performance the other night, it's the basic defunct philosophy that's underpinning the set-up that eats away at the remnants of hope. We're like the guy 'Biff', who hasn't the brains to debate the issue and always wants to take it outside to settle the issue.

17. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I've just read an interview with Rice where he says he only knew he was playing an hour before KO. I really hate that. How can you know and prepare for your role if you don't know you're playing? And yet we concede from set pieces all the time.

I can't stand Dunphy and no doubt Owls Fan will have something to say but I agree with every word he says here

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36739142.html

O'Neill is a relic of pre-2008 football and he is harming this team and its prospects. I wish he had gone to Stoke.
    Didn't see the game as I was in the UK. I don't have an issue with the long ball game provided that it is effective and we win games as a result (e.g. we have a Niall Quinn or a Tony Cascarino up front) but it does seem bizarre to be pumping the ball up to vertically challenged forwards if that is what happened (I'll take your word for it rather than reading Dunphy, who, if we played the passing game and lost, would be saying that we should be hitting it long).

It's a team now in transition with apparent ball players and who shouldn't regard the ball as a hot potato to be disposed of as quickly as possible. Perhaps O'Neill will recognise this and get the best out of the players - let's hope so.

I didn't see the goal from the corner. It is interesting though that one of O'Neill's tactics has been to feint taking a short corner to draw 2 defenders out for the one extra attacker. Perhaps his line of thinking is I am not going to fall for this and only send one defender out ??

As an exercise, I think that is about time that we have played away friendlies rather than playing Oman and Poland at home. More of the same and give the team a chance to gel. Let's not be too harsh on the basis of one game.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    There are so-called minnows that embarrass us with their superior technical abilities. Georgia comes to mind

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    So Rice gets all the praise, but had anyone one mentioned the goal went in off his backside yet?

https://youtu.be/VR7a_r1hKqs?t=2m37s

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    does it? It's impossible to tell
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    does it really matter that Rice was told he was going to start an hour before kick off, if he played so well and won MOTM?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Well if all the players were only told they were playing an hour before the match how can they be properly prepared? Being debriefed on their role, how to handle a direct opponent, whose responsibility it is to pick a loose player from a short corner etc. What Trap called the leetle details.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Trap would pick a team sometimes a week before a game, and people complained that made us too predictable!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well if all the players were only told they were playing an hour before the match how can they be properly prepared? Being debriefed on their role, how to handle a direct opponent, whose responsibility it is to pick a loose player from a short corner etc. What Trap called the leetle details.
    I don't know, it makes sense what you're saying but the one thing we've generally been is organised from a defensive point of view. I suppose a players potential role can be explained and practised without it necessarily being confirmed he's going to start. When have our players looked as though they don't know their role?

Getting caught out by short corners is down to a drop in concentration I think, if that's what you mean, not a lack of preparation beforehand. Players on the pitch have to be smart and alert enough to respond to variations in the opposition's approach. It was poor getting caught out by the first Turkish corner on Friday, but unforgivable to be caught out again five minutes later and MON naming the team three weeks ago probably wouldn't have prevented it.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 27/03/2018 at 11:02 AM.

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I've no huge issue with the team being named late.
    Surely the players are ready to go no matter what and know their positions/roles
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast