Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Under-15 Squad

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    How do the contracts work though because im seeing that Zefi is only allowed sign a contract for a couple of months yet you then get players like David Okagbue who played a full season at Stoke last season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    How do the contracts work though because im seeing that Zefi is only allowed sign a contract for a couple of months yet you then get players like David Okagbue who played a full season at Stoke last season.
    I don't know what age he is but the rules changed on January 1st, 2021, where players had to be 18 before signing a contract there. FIFA would probably prefer to have 18 as the hard and fast rule worldwide but free movement means they're not able to place the same restrictions on people moving between two EU countries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Caden McLoughlin was part of the Villareal side that won the regional championship: https://villarrealcf.es/en/news/item...wned-champions
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    This is my basic understanding. You can sign transfer from one EU country to the other once you turn 16. Different countries have different rules regarding signing pro-deals within the EU.

UK clubs can't sign EU players till 18, perhaps with the exception of Irish players due to the common travel area. That was certainly unclear.

In the UK, you've got Academy scholarships, which are almost always 2-year commitments, where the player finishes education with the club and plays for the academy. Those are at u17 and u18, culminating with the FA Youth Cup. 3rd year scholars do exist, but they're very rare. Up to u16, players are only allowed play for a team within a certain distance of where they live, so u17 tends to be an age group where clubs shuffle the deck a lot, because they'll lose players to clubs further afield and they can target players from anywhere in the country. Obviously, there's other stuff which is pretty common, where a family are 'encouraged' to move to an area, making them eligible to sign at u16 or younger, but going by the rules that's the change. In terms of how much time is spent training and how seriously things are taken, u17 is really the big change there, partly because of what we said above and partly because partly because about half of an academy side's players will be released after u16 (because basically two teams are morphing into one at academy level, as in, you've got 14s, 15s, 16s, 18s. So you need half your players to progress at that point to have a full squad). Also till recently, you would have had all the EU players arriving at u17, so they'd take up some academy u17 spots.

As an academy player, you can sign a pro-deal once you turn 17. But it's not uncommon for players to progress without signing a pro deal, because they've basically agreed a commitment for another year anyway. Arsenal and City have had players who progressed without a deal. Jadon Sancho refused a contract at 17 and that ultimately led to him leaving for Dortmund.

There are rules regarding that minimum and maximum length of contracts for young players. I remember Gareth Barry (or possibly Lee Hendry but I'm pretty sure Barry) signed a 7 year contract as a teenager, which might have contributed to the change. There used to be a minimum 2 years on a pro deal or a pro deal renewal under 20, but I'm pretty sure that's now gone and it's now 1 year minimum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    This is my basic understanding. You can sign transfer from one EU country to the other once you turn 16. Different countries have different rules regarding signing pro-deals within the EU.

UK clubs can't sign EU players till 18, perhaps with the exception of Irish players due to the common travel area. That was certainly unclear.
    This was clarified a few months ago, the exception only applies to Scottish, Northern Irish, Welsh, and English players: https://www.the42.ie/irish-football-...89379-Dec2020/

As an academy player, you can sign a pro-deal once you turn 17. But it's not uncommon for players to progress without signing a pro deal, because they've basically agreed a commitment for another year anyway. Arsenal and City have had players who progressed without a deal. Jadon Sancho refused a contract at 17 and that ultimately led to him leaving for Dortmund.
    There was a bit more to it, Sancho refused to appear at training without guarantees about playing for the first team, so the club decided to sell him.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I heard somewhere that a Irish player could potentially sign for an English club if they are located within 100km of their ground or something like that.

Could be another loophole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I heard somewhere that a Irish player could potentially sign for an English club if they are located within 100km of their ground or something like that.

I think that only applies if their family moves to the country for non-footballing reasons. So, say a parent gets a job in the university in Liverpool, their child could sign for Liverpool, Everton, or Tranmere. The difficulty is proving that the move was for non-footballing reasons, and not to sign for the club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    This was clarified a few months ago, the exception only applies to Scottish, Northern Irish, Welsh, and English players: https://www.the42.ie/irish-football-...89379-Dec2020/
    I wonder though, given we have a travel area, could a player’s family freely move to the uk and bypass that ruling in a way that way, in a way another EU citizen couldn’t? Or could I move to live with my London based uncle at 16? There have been a few moves announced which might suggest there’s some form of workaround possible.

There was a bit more to it, Sancho refused to appear at training without guarantees about playing for the first team, so the club decided to sell him.
    I think there was even more to it, in that the club forced him to train alone until he signed and then he stopped showing up, which isn’t really how it’s portrayed today.

He also could have moved for next to nothing due to moving abroad and not having signed a pro deal, but Dortmund were happy to pay £8m (a relative bargain) to avoid a long-drawn out legal situation and to get the deal done, where City accused the player, the agent and club of plenty...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts

That’s true of land borders anyway. Not sure if it’s 50 or 100 but I guess 100. Basically players can’t sign for clubs within another country below 16/18 (EU/non-EU) - but if you live within 100km of a club, you can play for them even if they cross a national border. That’s how Laporte and Griezmann ended up playing for Basque clubs while living in France (although I think griezmann perhaps involved some creative attending of a boarding school or something).

The law is basically designed so that if you live right on the border, you’re not disadvantaged because of it and barred from playing for a team half an hour down the road from you, just because they cross a border. Really wasn’t designed for trips across the Irish Sea I don’t think - but perhaps the rule is written in such a way that it applies... I’d assume the fact the distance across the Irish Sea is over 100km makes it all moot
    Last edited by elatedscum; 23/06/2021 at 12:53 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    And how about the trend of 16 year olds signing professional contracts with LOI clubs. I know pineapple stu partly answered it with the adoption if the LOI underage leagues. But it seems like a big financial undertaking for LOI clubs for players who play minimally for their senior team (Johnny Kenny aside of course)…so assume it allows them to protect their assets a bit better? If a 16 or 17 year old on a professional contract transfers to Europe or UK (vía one of the loopholes), is it still just a developmental fee or can LOI hold out for worthy transfer amounts?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    That’s true of land borders anyway. Not sure if it’s 50 or 100 but I guess 100. Basically players can’t sign for clubs within another country below 16/18 (EU/non-EU) - but if you live within 100km of a club, you can play for them even if they cross a national border. That’s how Laporte and Griezmann ended up playing for Basque clubs while living in France (although I think griezmann perhaps involved some creative attending of a boarding school or something).

The law is basically designed so that if you live right on the border, you’re not disadvantaged because of it and barred from playing for a team half an hour down the road from you, just because they cross a border. Really wasn’t designed for trips across the Irish Sea I don’t think - but perhaps the rule is written in such a way that it applies... I’d assume the fact the distance across the Irish Sea is over 100km makes it all moot
    That’s the thing, let’s say a player is wanted by an English club they could get the parent of a player a job in the city, then after that they can sign the player. I’ve heard that’s a way it can be done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interview with Kevin Zefi ahead of his move to Inter: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2...a4004f8c3a9dcc

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Interview with Kevin Zefi ahead of his move to Inter: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2...a4004f8c3a9dcc
    The prevalence of the "I am keeping my options open" internationally is one of the main reasons I care so much less about international football than 10 years ago.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    U15s V Montenegro is being stream on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5I8_koheRM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Under 15s played a friendly against Mexico today, Brandon Finn on the subs bench is John Joe Patrick Finn Benoa's brother

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    U15s playing two friendlies against Poland this week, first game kicking off at 11.
    Line up below, and a link to a stream on YouTube

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Jay McEvoy is the younger brother of Rio McEvoy who was in training camps for both us and NI last year. Has three caps for us at U18s level. Jaden Umeh is the younger brother of U19s player Franco Umeh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Anyone know more about Ramon Martos from Almeria and how he's eligible for us?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Not sure how he’s eligible but read something in Spanish saying he was very good (possibly playing a level above himself and captaining the side at club level?). Here he is here:

https://www.udalmeriasad.com/en/noti...national-teams

And he was mentioned as our biggest threat in the report of the game against Cyprus u15s.

Haven’t seen any of them play a full game but have heard good things about Grady McDonnell (born in Vancouver), Ade Solanke and Brody Lee from Rovers, Jayden Umeh, Michael Noonan and the back up keeper Luke Cullen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    second game against Poland just kicked off, stream on YouTube

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast