Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Series 4 games postponed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    BTW, The Derry city team still haven't been allowed to train on the pitch!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Derry are currently playing a match in the Brandywell against Coleraine.
    No fans allowed in, apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    So it went from not allowed to train on the pitch to playing a friendly on it in less than 10 hours, impressive...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    No snow in Derry at all in the past few days, the Brandywell pitch looked perfect at 6.45 pm but I reckon Kenny Shiels was right. He does bull**** but this time he was right.
    In fairness, there had been a small bit mid-week that was lying in places, although it had all pretty much melted by Friday. Unless I was seeing things.

Why would the pitch not have been ready to play on last night but it's OK this afternoon for a game against Coleraine? And if the FAI hadn't postponed the entire round of fixtures, meaning the Dundalk game was to go ahead as planned last night, where was it going to be played if, as Shiels claims, the Brandywell wasn't actually available?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Firstly, I suspect Dundalk may not have been able to travel yesterday nor officials fans national media etc.
    I know many DCFC fans live in a bubble but it's not always just about you guys 😉

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Nobody is doubting that Dundalk would have had difficulty travelling. I acknowledged that myself above:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    There's not a drop of snow in Derry at the minute and the temperature is above zero, although that's not to say travel for the ref and Dundalk team would have been easy as I believe things are still pretty bad a bit further south.
    That's not the issue. The match postponement was perfectly understandable. The issue is that Kenny Shiels claimed the game wouldn't have gone ahead anyway even if the weather had been good. He appeared to be suggesting that the pitch/stadium wasn't ready for a game (in spite of counter-claims by the council) and that the poor weather and postponement gave the council a convenient get-out.

I was just trying to work out how or why Shiels appeared to think the game wouldn't have gone ahead at the Brandywell had the FAI not postponed the fixture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    When was this photo taken?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    When was this photo taken?
    It was posted on Instagram at about 2:30PM this afternoon, so I assume it is from around then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    It was posted on Instagram at about 2:30PM this afternoon, so I assume it is from around then.
    It was the warm up before the friendly game v Coleraine which was played behind closed doors.

Derry won 3-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Wasn't been smart with you Danny.Just with so much snow here and then to see that photo with none....clear blue sky...
    Was almost tempted to say 'looks like a different country'

12. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dundalk to play a friendly in the morning Sunday ko 12 noon in oriel V warrenpoint town fc admission is free , but donations to the simon community.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Dundalk prepared for next weeks encounter with Cork by playing a friendly today against Warrenpoint at Oriel Park, running out 4-0 winners with goals from Karolis Chvedukas, Krisztian Adorján, Sam Byrne and Marco Tagbajumi.

The most significant aspect was a composed performance from Stephen O'Donnell who played 75 minutes - he looked in excellent shape and will definitely be in contention for a starting spot for Fridays game.

I would not be surprised if O'Donnell and Chvedukas both started in central midfield

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Wasn't been smart with you Danny.Just with so much snow here and then to see that photo with none....clear blue sky...
    Was almost tempted to say 'looks like a different country'

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    How is it possible that teams are playing friendlies but they still postpone the league cup matches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Finn Harps played a friendly yesterday against Cockhill Celtic in Letterkenny too. Absolutely nothing wrong with Harps playing Mayo League tonight, roads are fine all the way too. I traveled up from Galway to Letterkenny yesterday with barely a shovel full of snow on the roads outside of Galway City.

People can applaud the FAI all they like, but these decisions should have been put to the clubs to make a choice as well.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Finn Harps played a friendly yesterday against Cockhill Celtic in Letterkenny too. Absolutely nothing wrong with Harps playing Mayo League tonight, roads are fine all the way too. I traveled up from Galway to Letterkenny yesterday with barely a shovel full of snow on the roads outside of Galway City.

People can applaud the FAI all they like, but these decisions should have been put to the clubs to make a choice as well.
    Clubs didn't have much of a choice. The storm was changing regularly to a Red Warning status and clubs have to take the advice like everyone else. Clubs have a responsibility to their employees (the players). If the bus skidded or crashed off the road, imagine trying to explain that. The status is downgraded now so friendlies are no problem.
    Last edited by redobit; 05/03/2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Clubs didn't have much of a choice. The storm was changing regularly to a Red Warning status and clubs have to take the advice like everyone else. Clubs have a responsibility to their employees (the players). If the bus skidded or crashed off the road, imagine trying to explain that. The status is downgraded now so friendlies are no problem.
    At this stage, I'm talking about tonights postponed games.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Could and should have been played. In one sense starting our season with a LC tie against Mayo is a very low profile start, on the other hand it would have provided more vital match practice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I drove past the Brandywell this morning and got the impression that Kenny Shiels might actually have been correct in claiming that the stadium wouldn't have been ready to host the Dundalk fixture had the FAI not postponed the round of games anyway.

There are still steel building site barricades around each turnstile entrance and, as you can get a good view through the new turnstiles into the area behind the Southend Stand now, I could see some building site debris still remaining inside the perimeter wall. There was actually a digger pulling out in front of me (from the exit at the lower end of Brandywell Road) with some of that debris in its bucket. He was obviously clearing some of the building site remnants out of the ground. There was also another builder with hi-vis vest (pretty sure he was wearing a hard hat too) letting the digger out by removing a barrier.

It's odd that builders are still evidently on site if the ground was supposedly ready (according to the council) to host a game last Friday night had it not been for the FAI's postponement of the game.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast