Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Series 4 games postponed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Not back tracking at all, Ophelia was downgraded from a hurricane to a storm I just should have made the point that obviously even this was tragic for those involved I was usingv it to illustrate that things could change 're the latest alerts. I know you don't believe weather forecasts ever change but unfortunately this juvenile opinion is wrong. It appears that the forecasts are worsening and the red alert has been extended by 3 hours and extended across the entire country(that would be a change btw) and cancellation ended up beingv the right call whether it was today or yesterday.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 01/03/2018 at 8:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    No one said weather forecasts don't change. Your comprehension skills could do with a bit of work along with your word choice issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Grow up you said the storm wouldn't change direction as a statement of fact. A mature person would leave it there but I expect another history rewrite from you to come. Why don't you just leave it there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Thats an impressive level of backtracking. The phrase you used was 'another damp squib'. Not sure how that could be misinterpreted.
    Actually, I believe the phrase he used was "another damp squid".

You're welcome.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Indeed and what I should have said was another downgrade send pointed out it was still tragic.
    Your welcome

Whoops just spotted t he squib issue....appols
    Last edited by sbgawa; 01/03/2018 at 8:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Totally the right decision and kudos - for once, to the League. Travel and spectator safety made it a no brainer and an early decision suits those arranging time off, travel and/or accomadation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Grow up you said the storm wouldn't change direction as a statement of fact. A mature person would leave it there but I expect another history rewrite from you to come. Why don't you just leave it there.
    Yes, I said the storm wouldn't change direction to miss Ireland. Again, comprehension. That is not the same as saying a forecast can't change. Feel free to stop posting at any point if it's getting too much. No issue with you leaving it there and being 'mature'.

And while we're being 'juvenile' it's 'you're welcome'.

You're welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Even if the snow isn’t that bad in areas, the pitch is more then likely to be frozen as well as anything else. People have clear agendas and they look to jump on the FAI’s back at any opportunity. Great call by the FAI. Even if it wasn’t what was expected there’s no way it could be risked, I’m sure players in certain arsss struggled to get to training since Tuesday.

As for the storm in October, it might not of been that bad in Dublin but Dublin was one of the lesser hit areas. From been in cork it was evident it was bad and met eirean were spot on, the level of trees fallen was ridiculous (Ten trees fell in the space of road of about 50 meters or less) , the roof off the school, the stadium, the deaths and the fact the wind blew the hinges off the window in the house speaks for itself. It’s another case dubs think they’re above everyone else and they know it all but the rest of the country doesn’t matter. If you could name and prove one ground that is suitable to have a game today fire ahead. For a change it was nice to see the FAI have a proper plan in place!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ollie is not the most logical person. Another breakdown coming if his Monday fixture is postponed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Yes, I said the storm wouldn't change direction to miss Ireland. Again, comprehension. That is not the same as saying a forecast can't change. Feel free to stop posting at any point if it's getting too much. No issue with you leaving it there and being 'mature'.

And while we're being 'juvenile' it's 'you're welcome'.

You're welcome.
    Ok so storms don't change direction except within strict limits (suggest you do a bit of googling there ) , waiting untill 24 hours before a match to give notice of cancellation is way to little and Ollie Horgan is a public menace.
    Lol. Just because your arguing with someone doesn't mean you can't change your view you know. Tx for the spelling advice you've finally stated a fact.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 02/03/2018 at 7:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Ok so storms don't change direction except within strict limits (suggest you do a bit of googling there ) , waiting untill 24 hours before a match to give notice of cancellation is way to little and Ollie Horgan is a public menace.
    Lol. Just because your arguing with someone doesn't mean you can't change your view you know. Tx for the spelling advice you've finally stated a fact.
    You have a very strange method of having a discussion. You make a claim. When challenged you backtrack. Then you make up strawmen and say other people have said things they haven't. Then you attack those comments that were never said to feel like you're making a point. You ignore all comments disagreeing with you, moving on to insulting anyone who disagrees, and again making mistaken inferences from what they actually posted. It's either a complete lack of comprehension skills or a deliberate attempt to ignore any points being made and attack strawmen. I'm not sure which.

The 'you can change your view you know' makes me think it must be deliberate, because surely someone couldn't use that unironically while literally disagreeing with everyone else in the thread, without any change of opinion.

Maybe it works for you, who knows. It's certainly a great way to avoid actually engaging with any points made if it is deliberate. If not, well, our education system needs work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Actually I did change my position Ollie said 8 hours notice , following outspoken making the point I wasn't considering all the other things involved in staging a match beyond those traveling I said maybe the fai could have waited until 24 hours before to cancel.
    I still don't think that is a massively controversial position maybe you should ask yourself why you are so stuck in your viewpoint. If you can't accept that canceling a game at 24 hours notice is sufficient notice and allows time to consider changing conditions then I have to accept we are not going to agree. I think your wrong simple as.....all the rest is just noise.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Ah stop sb. The point I made was that, even by Wednesday, the weather was so clearly to be conducive to a postponement that the decision could be made then. That was proven entirely correct, and other organisations followed suit (like the GAA)

There's enough of times to properly criticise the FAI. Giving out about them over this just demeans the correct criticism.

15. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    So SB , how many pitches playable today?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Same amount if the forecast had been made yesterday instead of Wednesday. That was kind of my point....tx
    Last edited by sbgawa; 02/03/2018 at 1:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    There's not a drop of snow in Derry at the minute and the temperature is above zero, although that's not to say travel for the ref and Dundalk team would have been easy as I believe things are still pretty bad a bit further south.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    There's not a drop of snow in Derry at the minute and the temperature is above zero, although that's not to say travel for the ref and Dundalk team would have been easy as I believe things are still pretty bad a bit further south.
    KS reckoned the match wouldn't have gone ahead regardless of storm or no storm.

FURIOUS Kenny Shiels has hit out at Derry’s Council, claiming the arrival of ‘Storm Emma’ has handed the local authority a ‘get-out clause’ regarding Brandywell Stadium.
    The FAI announced on Wednesday the postponement of ALL weekend League of Ireland fixtures, including Derry City’s long awaited homecoming against Dundalk.
    https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/f...dium-1-8399649

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Not sure why he thinks that exactly or what his suspicion is based on seeing as the the council have been clear that the pitch would have been available for training had it not been for the weather. The council re-iterated that the stadium and pitch were, weather permitting, otherwise ready to host a game tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Not sure why he thinks that exactly or what his suspicion is based on seeing as the the council have been clear that the pitch would have been available for training had it not been for the weather. The council re-iterated that the stadium and pitch were, weather permitting, otherwise ready to host a game tonight.
    Answer: It's Kenny Shiels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    No snow in Derry at all in the past few days, the Brandywell pitch looked perfect at 6.45 pm but I reckon Kenny Shiels was right. He does bull**** but this time he was right.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast