Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 4 games postponed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Lol me suggesting they wait at a minimum until tommorow to cancel a game on Friday night and that's me saying I know more than the experts
    ...get over yourself
    No. Suggesting 'the storm might turn' (which it won't) as if the experts have not considered this possibility before closing all the schools and shutting down bus services, is implying you know better than they do. They wouldn't have confirmed all schools and education services closed on Friday if there were a possibility tomorrow might change the forecast. Waiting til tomorrow would be pointless, and simply give clubs, players and fans less time to change their plans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    No. Suggesting 'the storm might turn' (which it won't) as if the experts have not considered this possibility before closing all the schools and shutting down bus services, is implying you know better than they do. They wouldn't have confirmed all schools and education services closed on Friday if there were a possibility tomorrow might change the forecast. Waiting til tomorrow would be pointless, and simply give clubs, players and fans less time to change their plans.
    Lol the storm "WON'T TURN" . It appears that the "forecast " part of weather forecast has escaped your notice. Weather turns all the time....the experts are planning based on the current FORECAST Rightly so. my point was and is that the fai could have waited until tommorow to see if the experts downgraded or changed their forecast.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 28/02/2018 at 8:22 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Are you actually being serious? Wait until 12pm to make a decision on a game due to kick off 8 hours later. For once the FAI have got it right. Idiots like me would’ve attempted driving to get to the game regalrdess of Road conditions. They’ve put player and fan safety first.
    All very true, if I was the one who had to travel.

But because Limerick are at home, its's a FOOKIN JOKE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Lol the storm "WON'T TURN" . It appears that the "forecast " part of weather forecast has escaped your notice. Weather turns all the time....the experts are planning based on the current FORECAST Rightly so. my point was and is that the fai could have waited until tommorow to see if the experts downgraded or changed their forecast.
    Each post shows you understand less and less about the current weather we're experiencing. They don't 'plan' by shutting down all schools for Friday two days in advance if it's not absolutely necessary. If there was a chance it wasn't needed, they'd wait til tomorrow to make that call. These people understand the situation better than you do. The FAI have rightly taken their lead and given plenty of notice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Be grand lads we'll play it another time sure, finn park may or may not be playable come Friday but can't expect longford to travel in dangerous conditions

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I think I'll take the advice of Met Eireann when it comes to the weather, and not a guy who thinks a storm that killed three people was nothing to get worked up about.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I reckon I know a bit more than a guy who can tell the world tonight that a weather forecast is in fact a weather fact.
    Again what would be so wrong with waiting until tommorow to see if the experts have downgraded their forecasts before cancelling the game?
    Have you ever heard of a hurricane being downgraded to a storm ??
    Jeez I didn't even really care that much about this I thought Ollie had a point ...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Again what would be so wrong with waiting until tommorow to see if the experts have downgraded their forecasts before cancelling the game?
    In general you're right, and ordinarily this decision probably would have been made tomorrow.

But in this case, it appears the forecasts are so strong that there is simply zero chance that Thursday afternoon/all day Friday is going to be chaos for travel. In that case, why delay making the decision?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I think I'll take the advice of Met Eireann when it comes to the weather, and not a guy who thinks a storm that killed three people was nothing to get worked up about.
    My point (poorly made)about hurricane Ophelia was that it was downgraded by the forecasters to a storm , I didn't mean any disrespect to the people who were killed, just that it didn't turn out as bad as was expected....which was great obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In general you're right, and ordinarily this decision probably would have been made tomorrow.

But in this case, it appears the forecasts are so strong that there is simply zero chance that Thursday afternoon/all day Friday is going to be chaos for travel. In that case, why delay making the decision?
    A reasonable point but it's still a possibility that tommorow the forecast will change, cancelling a match with 24 hours notice is hardly unheard of...but like I said I just thought Ollie had a point and tbf he is nothing if not straightforward and reasonable and my favourite non rovers manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    with the current weather the players can't train outdoors either so I think it was an excellent decision to pull the plug now. well done FAI, credit where it's due.
    ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY DAY.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I know in Longford tonight the weather is lethal.. I got a lift home and the roads are slippery with the hard snow.. Bus Eireann cancelled at short notice within 45 mins of ringing to see that they were definitely going back home so had no option but to get a train back at short notice.

I can see both arguments but tbh the weather in the midlands is way worse than the East.. I can well imagine the North West will get it just as bad.. I think the FAI have made the right call in our case but if its a local derby and the travelling distance is short maybe allow the match to go ahead if its safe to do so..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I just left the Brandywell and as a diehard Derry city fan, the Brandywell pitch looks amazing 30 mins ago @2am
    But even though the whole city is buzzing about the 'homecoming" the windchiill here is-11 right now with snow all around the area and streets beside the stadium. No way should the opening of the Mark Farren stand and the first home game in 18 months should go ahead with these conditions.

The reschedule game Derry City V Dundalk is on Ryan Mc Brides first anniversary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    In fairness, the Brandywell would be grand to use tomorrow.
    Derry will be the warmest place in the country for the next couple of days, with next to no snow forecast. The light dusting we're getting at present is barely lying too.

The real issue is with the Dundalk team and fans travelling up here. Monaghan will be bad, the N2 is closed at present, for example, and I'm sure Glenshane Pass will be similar.

So whilst it's frustrating, I can accept that's it's probably the correct call by the FAI.
    Maybe ourselves and Harps could organise a friendly in the meantime?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    A reasonable point but it's still a possibility that tommorow the forecast will change, cancelling a match with 24 hours notice is hardly unheard of...but like I said I just thought Ollie had a point and tbf he is nothing if not straightforward and reasonable and my favourite non rovers manager
    Given your evident skills in digging yourself into and out of holes, any chance you could bring that shovel over to North County Dublin, blizzard for the last hour and snow and iced in?

FAI decision allowed me to cancel my hotel booking for the Cork/Bohs match without a penalty, Pity that the Tuesday games werent cancelled too!

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Pity that the Tuesday games werent cancelled too!
    They should be retrospectively cancelled, all results annulled, and all memories and footage wiped clean.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    The FAI will always have someone sniping at them. They made the right and easy decision. Games off, fixed them for March 19th. Grand job. Nobody needs to give out about leaving it too late......but they did it too soon!!!!!

Get a grip FFS!!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Given your evident skills in digging yourself into and out of holes, any chance you could bring that shovel over to North County Dublin, blizzard for the last hour and snow and iced in?

FAI decision allowed me to cancel my hotel booking for the Cork/Bohs match without a penalty, Pity that the Tuesday games werent cancelled too!
    Should have brought a shovel the last time I was north side. Bit of pitch digging.
    With all this disruption they should really start the league again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey9 View Post
    The FAI will always have someone sniping at them. They made the right and easy decision. Games off, fixed them for March 19th. Grand job. Nobody needs to give out about leaving it too late......but they did it too soon!!!!!

Get a grip FFS!!
    From a purely selfish point of view I’m delighted as I couldn’t make Derry on Friday but will be able to get there on the bank hol, as will a good few others.
    I think they were right to make the decision early. No point risking life just for a football match.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    My point (poorly made)about hurricane Ophelia was that it was downgraded by the forecasters to a storm , I didn't mean any disrespect to the people who were killed, just that it didn't turn out as bad as was expected....which was great obviously.
    Thats an impressive level of backtracking. The phrase you used was 'another damp squib'. Not sure how that could be misinterpreted.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast