Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Government Warning on Israel Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Exclamation Government Warning on Israel Game

The Department of Foreign affairs seem to be saying "I wouldnt be going there if I was you". If this is their viewpoint surely they should just come out and say it. Our supporters and teams welfare is paramount here.

March 10, 2005

The Department’s statement reads:

“Irish citizens travelling to the World Cup qualifier should bear in mind that there remains a real risk of terrorist attacks as evidenced by the 25 February suicide-bomb attack outside of a Tel Aviv beach-front nightclub, in which five civilians were killed and over 20 injured.

“It is therefore important to exercise great caution when travelling within Israel and East Jerusalem.

“In particular, extra vigilance is required if using public transport and in public areas such as bars, clubs, restaurants and cafes, especially where crowded or where there are no security guards.

“Visitors should avoid any political gatherings or demonstrations.

“We recommend that supporters follow the news and make sure that they are fully informed of any change in the security situation.

“The Department recommends against travel to the West Bank and to the Gaza Strip, and also advises against travel to Israel ’s northern border with Lebanon.

The Department strongly recommends that supporters coming to Tel Aviv for the match obtain comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.”
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I hope nothing happens but it's Easter weekend and Israels biggest match in years.

How do they qualify as part of Europe anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I like the way you started this thread " goverment warning on israel game" Get your facts right its travel advise regarding travel to this country which the government is only right in advising published on a govt website. They are not warning anybody not to travel. Are u two going??? Well i am and will be vigilent about whats going on around me but no more vigilent then i would be walking the streets of our not so safe capital.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I wouldnt worry about the game itself, the Israelis have very tight security at sporting events, especially high profile ones. If your just going to the game then you'll be safe. In terms of going drinking, clubbing etc while then I guess your taking more of a risk. But, the situation has cooled off over there in these past few weeks, so its safer than say it would have been last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDub
    I like the way you started this thread " goverment warning on israel game" Get your facts right its travel advise regarding travel to this country which the government is only right in advising published on a govt website. They are not warning anybody not to travel. Are u two going??? Well i am and will be vigilent about whats going on around me but no more vigilent then i would be walking the streets of our not so safe capital.
    The Facts Dub...
    - The Statement is publish by the Government.
    - It is a warning to travellers.
    - It relates to the Israel v Ireland game.
    - It is most definitely not a joint statement between the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs and the Israeli tourist board.

Please dont try to compare any City or town in Ireland with Tel Aviv.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob
    The Facts Dub...
    - The Statement is publish by the Government.
    - It is a warning to travellers.
    - It relates to the Israel v Ireland game.
    - It is most definitely not a joint statement between the Irish Dept of Foreign Affairs and the Israeli tourist board.

Please dont try to compare any City or town in Ireland with Tel Aviv.
    Yes as you say yourself its a statement on travel advise just like we got when travelling to many other Countries about do's and don't "not a warning not to travel" We did'nt get any advise travelling to moscow a few years ago and many irish fans were mugged/attacked etc.

Sorry but simple facts are dublin city is not the safest place in the world we only have to look at the stats regarding muggings assaults etc that happen around our country at the weekend when many people just go out for a good time.

Anyway this time 2 weeks we'll be all heading to the stadium.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDub
    Anyway this time 2 weeks we'll be all heading to the stadium.
    And all the very best a luck to ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm travelling and am sure the Israeli security services will have done everything in their power to make sure that no harm comes too any irish supporters
    Camac Ultras North Terrace Section

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    edmundo, you any good at gaelic? i play for barnabas in nottingham and we're always lookin for new lads willin to play or learn to play??

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I split the thread because it was getting into a debate about Israel- I know, I started it and maybe I shouldn't have, but I just couldn't help myself. The debate is now here So anyone who wants to continue it- and I'm enjoying it so far- can post there. Keep this thread for the match related stuff

Éanna

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    edmundo, you any good at gaelic? i play for barnabas in nottingham and we're always lookin for new lads willin to play or learn to play??
    Im afraid im back down south for the next few months at least. There used to be an Irish society at the Uni, I'll see if I can find the contact details of that if you like?