Thread: Galway United and Mervue Dispute

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Galway United and Mervue Dispute

Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Indeed, very disruptive and it can't have helped pre season preparations. Hopefully something can be sorted and quickly, I can't see it coming to us leaving the county to train. That would be a farce.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/mervue-utd-re...d-row-reports/ The Mervue response

Galway United have only themselves to blame here.

They had an agreement in place with Mervue over when and how to approach players because Mervue are in the latter stages of alot of the SFAI cups. The Galway United underage coaches broke the agreement by contacting players the night before an SFAI cup game telling them not to play for Mervue and to sign for Galway United. They were told if they played for Mervue they wouldn't sign them. This also happened last season when Mervue lost 4 players to Galway United u15's the week of an SFAI Cup quarter final after pressure was put on them to sign.

There was a meeting scheduled for 19th of February to sort this out but Galway United decided to go public yesterday and then Mervue gave their response today. This could of all been resolved weeks ago when a meeting was arranged between the 2 clubs but Galway Utd sent 2 officials to the meeting who had no knowledge of the agreements in place or the underage structures. Farcical.

Its also important to remember that Mervue own the facilities, its their prerogative to rent them to whoever they like.

Another situation with Galway United and their fans crying wolf. They haven't a pitch, nor a training facility, probably not even a bag of balls but it's always someone elses fault.

2. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    There have been accusations of Mervue have been tapping up youth players left right and centre for decades. GUFC may have messed up but some at Mervue look like utter hypocrites.
    Last edited by Mr A; 16/02/2018 at 4:52 PM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Mervue have been tapping up youth players left right and centre for decades. GUFC may have messed up but some at Mervue are utter hypocrites.
    Success breeds jealousy. The allegations of Mervue tapping up players for years and years have gone on from other clubs, even though players go to play there because they have the best chance of winning things, access to the best facilities and coaching etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayforsam View Post
    Success breeds jealousy. The allegations of Mervue tapping up players for years and years have gone on from other clubs, even though players go to play there because they have the best chance of winning things, access to the best facilities and coaching etc.
    Aren't you now doing the same thing re allegations? "Success breeds jealousy" maybe so but now it looks like a crumbling empire breeds pettiness....

6. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Aren't you now doing the same thing re allegations? "Success breeds jealousy" maybe so but now it looks like a crumbling empire breeds pettiness....
    Crumbling empire?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    That would be a farce.
    We're well beyond that.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    We're well beyond that.
    Absolutely

No training facility, no ground.. Do ye borrow the jerseys off Mervue as well?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    We're well beyond that.
    Are things that bad at Galway???

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    [QUOTE=Xmas3Formation;1952397]Are things that bad at Galway???[/
    yes they are. Galway will more than likely have to train in AIT or UL as Mervue wont let them train there as they claim Galway nabbed a underage player illegally.Thats why Mervue aren't involved with Galway Utd board any more . Galway FA wont let them train either so its a major crisis down west.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    [QUOTE=Martinho II;1952442]
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas3Formation View Post
    Are things that bad at Galway???[/
    yes they are. Galway will more than likely have to train in AIT or UL as Mervue wont let them train there as they claim Galway nabbed a underage player illegally.Thats why Mervue aren't involved with Galway Utd board any more . Galway FA wont let them train either so its a major crisis down west.
    Mervue aren't involved because they don't want to be involved and never did.They want to run their own club. The FAI wanted a representative from them on the board along with someone from the supporters trust, Salthill and Galway FA.

They did not want the supporters club given full control as they did a few years ago for awhile and it went pear shaped.

Also it's alot more than 1 player. It's nearly double figures of players. And again the issue isn't the fact they are trying to take players, Mervue are happy to see their players play at the highest level. But there was an agreement that was made over how and when approaches were to be made and Galway United broke this agreement and were giving players ultimatums telling them theu were not to play upcoming SFAI cup games for Mervue or they wouldn't be signed.

All that went against the agreement that had been made with GUFC.

If Galway United had their own training facilities and ground it wouldn't be an issue for them but how long have they had a professional team and still don't even have aas much as a training facility?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    They did not want the supporters club given full control as they did a few years ago for awhile and it went pear shaped.
    What are you even on about here?

Separately- worth baring in mind that the chairman of the Galway FA recently stepped down saying "The main reason that I am doing this is the constant negative attitude towards Galway United I would nearly go as far as saying that some people on the Galway FA hope that Galway United as a football club would collapse."

Some seriously toxic stuff going on in Galway football.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

14. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    What are you even on about here?

Separately- worth baring in mind that the chairman of the Galway FA recently stepped down saying "The main reason that I am doing this is the constant negative attitude towards Galway United I would nearly go as far as saying that some people on the Galway FA hope that Galway United as a football club would collapse."

Some seriously toxic stuff going on in Galway football.
    After Leeson left, the supporters trust were given the running of the club for most of the 2011 season. They ran up big debts, 40 odd grand in the year they were in charge. Players weren't paid on time (Karl Moore came out a couple of years later and said he was still owed money from his time )

Knowing alot of the players playing at that time, they said there were numerous rows in the dressing room before games with players refusing to play unless they were paid. One of the supporters trust would have to go around giving cash to players before kick off to ensure they had a team on the pitch. Out of 36 games, they lost 32. There was money owed to local businesses, bus companies etc which the supporters trust tried to lump in with the old company, when it was in fact the debts were ran up on their watch.

Not exactly very well run, hence why the FAI wanted the Galway FA, Mervue and Salthill all on board this time around along with GUST. There was a financial agreement in place for Mervue and Salthill for leaving the LOI but they had to have a board member on the Galway Uninted board as part of the agreement.

They have now stepped away by choice and with the acceptance of the FAI. The supporters trust are now in control again.

Lunatics running the asylum comes to mind, but we'll see.
    Last edited by galwayforsam; 19/02/2018 at 4:24 PM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I thought no one would have bought the line (utter scurrilous lies in my opinion) that Leeson spun when he left that the problems were from GUST taking over rather than from his own utterly disgraceful tenure. But it seems one person bought it at least.

In my opinion GUST did brilliantly to finish the season at all given the horror show they inherited. It could easily and maybe even should have been another Dublin City or Monaghan United, disappearing mid season.

I have always supported Mervue fundraisers when asked. The more time goes on the less inclined I am to ever do so again.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

18. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I thought no one would have bought the line (utter scurrilous lies in my opinion) that Leeson spun when he left that the problems were from GUST taking over rather than from his own utterly disgraceful tenure. But it seems one person bought it at least.

In my opinion GUST did brilliantly to finish the season at all given the horror show they inherited. It could easily and maybe even should have been another Dublin City or Monaghan United, disappearing mid season.

I have always supported Mervue fundraisers when asked. The more time goes on the less inclined I am to ever do so again.
    GUST have always wanted to run he club, they got an opportunity when Leeson left and made a balls of it.

They mean well but there's a lot of them who have no idea how to run a football club. They should be building bridges with Mervue and the Galway FA etc not the other way around.

The current situation with Mervue could have been avoided over a month ago when there was a meeting between Mervue and Galway United officials over the underage structure. 2 officials from GUST were sent who had zero knowledge of underage football and what was going on. Complete lack of respect for Mervue, the meeting couldn't take place and of course the problem festered from there. Only themselves to blame here.

I think it's high time Galway United and GUST stopped complaining that the world is against them and try and get their house in order. If it's not the Galway FA's fault it's Mervue, if it's not Mervue it's the FAI.
    Last edited by galwayforsam; 19/02/2018 at 5:02 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    [QUOTE=galwayforsam;1952447]
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    If Galway United had their own training facilities and ground it wouldn't be an issue for them but how long have they had a professional team and still don't even have as much as a training facility?
    This is actually quite common in the LOI. Some of the biggest clubs still rent training facilities. It's hard to raise enough cash when you're constantly living hand to mouth because you're paying players.

It's easy for amateur clubs who don't have anything like the overheads of a professional team to scoff at LOI clubs facilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    The Junior clubs of Ireland with this idea that LOI sides should be bowing down to their every demand is laughable.

Now, LOI clubs certainly do need to respect Junior clubs. It's not hard to send a letter to club secretaries stating intentions or requesting permission to sign their player.

I've been involved in both sides of this debate and there is far more obstacles thrown in the way of the LOI club than visa versa.

Either way it's messy and it's usually the people that are shouting "for the good of football in the area" are the ones looking for their ego to be massaged.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    The Junior clubs of Ireland with this idea that LOI sides should be bowing down to their every demand is laughable.

Now, LOI clubs certainly do need to respect Junior clubs. It's not hard to send a letter to club secretaries stating intentions or requesting permission to sign their player.

I've been involved in both sides of this debate and there is far more obstacles thrown in the way of the LOI club than visa versa.

Either way it's messy and it's usually the people that are shouting "for the good of football in the area" are the ones looking for their ego to be massaged.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    [QUOTE=Philosophizer;1952500]

This is actually quite common in the LOI. Some of the biggest clubs still rent training facilities. It's hard to raise enough cash when you're constantly living hand to mouth because you're paying players.

It's easy for amateur clubs who don't have anything like the overheads of a professional team to scoff at LOI clubs facilities.
    But why would you try and alienate and publicly complain about the club who you rely on for your facilties and most of your underage players and a whole raft of senior players over the years? And break agreements that were put in place re underage structures.

The gas thing is in all this, when Galway United presented a strategic plan to the FAI a few years ago, they had listed a number of clubs who they had agreements in place with to use their faciltiies. Mervue wasn't listed as one of them, they weren't going to be using Mervue to train.

Were these agreements in place? Not at all. Galway United presumed that lots of junior clubs around the county would be delighted to let them use their faciltiies free of charge at any time. Red carpet treatment, maintain the pitches, clean the dressing rooms etc. Of course the fact that these clubs had loans to pay back on these faciltiies and couldn't afford to be paying maintenance staff was never factored in. Delusional and arrogant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    GUST have always wanted to run he club, they got an opportunity when Leeson left and made a balls of it.

They mean well but there's a lot of them who have no idea how to run a football club. They should be building bridges with Mervue and the Galway FA etc not the other way around.

The current situation with Mervue could have been avoided over a month ago when there was a meeting between Mervue and Galway United officials over the underage structure. 2 officials from GUST were sent who had zero knowledge of underage football and what was going on. Complete lack of respect for Mervue, the meeting couldn't take place and of course the problem festered from there. Only themselves to blame here.

I think it's high time Galway United and GUST stopped complaining that the world is against them and try and get their house in order. If it's not the Galway FA's fault it's Mervue, if it's not Mervue it's the FAI.
    Re-writing history now also? Galway United supporters made a balls of running their club did they? You mean when Nick Leeson left the club in over 1 million euro worth of debt and a handful of supporters came in to try and keep their club in business? Yeah I'm not sure how that didn't end well for them.

You constantly reference Galway United complaining about Mervue and the GFA. Firstly, the chairman of the GFA, who is in no way connected with Galway United whatsoever, along with another board member on the GFA, resigned from the board of the GFA because it was so anti Galway United. That's no news to anybody in Galway that has a clue about football - but that was not Galway United, that was people inside the Galway FA. It just shows how deep the rot goes.

Mervue, I saw in their statement that apparently "Galway United had released a statement". There was no statement from the club whatsoever. The manager was at the League launch, journalists asked him how pre-season was going, he told them they were without a training base for three weeks. He didn't blame Mervue, read or listen to the interviews.

My personal opinion on Mervue United is the same as that of Corrib Rangers, Hibs, West United. I'd honestly wish them well, I personally don't really care for them, but I wouldn't wish ill on them. I cannot understand the viewpoint however, which seems very prevalent in a few people heavily involved with Mervue, that they would like to see Galway United fail miserably. Very embittered. Fair enough if you've no interest in the club, that's totally understandable, but there are some seriously toxic people in that club. One of those toxic people is running your club, and he's one of the main ring leaders that was part of the Galway FA board that people left due to the levels of toxicity towards Galway United. Guess what, he was also one of the leading coaches on the Galway FA "Academy" which included no Galway United coaches. Quelle surprise.

Galway United will train elsewhere, it's not the end of the world. We'll continue to sign underage players from Mervue, who will continue to make the process as difficult as possible, but that's just the way it is, no big deal. That's their prerogative I guess, but it sorts of contradicts their statement about not standing in players ways. There will be teething issues with these new underage leagues, but like it or not, players see Galway United, who believe it or not, play at an elite level in the country, as a progression from Mervue United, a few people connected with Mervue seem sickened by that thought.

Any level headed Galway United fan you would've spoken to would admit that there seems to be blame with an underage coach or maybe coach(es) at the club, that should not go without reprimand by the way. Good luck against Newmarket
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

26. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Re-writing history now also? Galway United supporters made a balls of running their club did they? You mean when Nick Leeson left the club in over 1 million euro worth of debt and a handful of supporters came in to try and keep their club in business? Yeah I'm not sure how that didn't end well for them.

You constantly reference Galway United complaining about Mervue and the GFA. Firstly, the chairman of the GFA, who is in no way connected with Galway United whatsoever, along with another board member on the GFA, resigned from the board of the GFA because it was so anti Galway United. That's no news to anybody in Galway that has a clue about football - but that was not Galway United, that was people inside the Galway FA. It just shows how deep the rot goes.

Mervue, I saw in their statement that apparently "Galway United had released a statement". There was no statement from the club whatsoever. The manager was at the League launch, journalists asked him how pre-season was going, he told them they were without a training base for three weeks. He didn't blame Mervue, read or listen to the interviews.

My personal opinion on Mervue United is the same as that of Corrib Rangers, Hibs, West United. I'd honestly wish them well, I personally don't really care for them, but I wouldn't wish ill on them. I cannot understand the viewpoint however, which seems very prevalent in a few people heavily involved with Mervue, that they would like to see Galway United fail miserably. Very embittered. Fair enough if you've no interest in the club, that's totally understandable, but there are some seriously toxic people in that club. One of those toxic people is running your club, and he's one of the main ring leaders that was part of the Galway FA board that people left due to the levels of toxicity towards Galway United. Guess what, he was also one of the leading coaches on the Galway FA "Academy" which included no Galway United coaches. Quelle surprise.

Galway United will train elsewhere, it's not the end of the world. We'll continue to sign underage players from Mervue, who will continue to make the process as difficult as possible, but that's just the way it is, no big deal. That's their prerogative I guess, but it sorts of contradicts their statement about not standing in players ways. There will be teething issues with these new underage leagues, but like it or not, players see Galway United, who believe it or not, play at an elite level in the country, as a progression from Mervue United, a few people connected with Mervue seem sickened by that thought.

Any level headed Galway United fan you would've spoken to would admit that there seems to be blame with an underage coach or maybe coach(es) at the club, that should not go without reprimand by the way. Good luck against Newmarket
    If officials in Mervue were so set against Galway United, why would they let them rent their facilties and be wiling to sit down and arrrange agreements over the signing of the underage players, which they had actually agreed to but to be done around SFAI cup games and to go through a correct procedure?

Talk about exaggeration. Officials in Mervue are concerned about the running of their own club, but because this doesn't pander to Galway United then they're being toxic towards them. Laughable stuff.

I'm sure players are delighted to be going up to Galway United to play but to be given ultimatums the night before SFAI Cup games being told not to play for Mervue or else they wouldn't be signed doesm't exactly sound like the actions of an 'elite' level club. Would you want your son being treated like that? And it's more than 1 coach as I'm sure you know!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast