Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 859

Thread: Attendances 2018

  1. #81
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,165
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,092
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,485
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Does it really need to be compared to anything other than previous attendances?
    Yeah, even if it still a only a small portion of the population in some cases, if it is a bigger portion than it used to be, then good.

  2. #82
    First Team
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Turners Cross, Cork.
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    139
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Does it really need to be compared to anything other than previous attendances?
    It's essential if you're measuring the potential to grow the fan base, and by extension strategically targeting that growth.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

  3. #83
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,245
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,913
    Thanked in
    1,721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    It's essential if you're measuring the potential to grow the fan base, and by extension strategically targeting that growth.
    Regardless of how many people live in a certain area, there's potential to grow attendances in our league at any given club. I'll keep going back to the Finn Harps - Ballybofey argument with this one if needs be.

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #84
    First Team
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Turners Cross, Cork.
    Posts
    1,195
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    139
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Regardless of how many people live in a certain area, there's potential to grow attendances in our league at any given club. I'll keep going back to the Finn Harps - Ballybofey argument with this one if needs be.
    I'm not sure what it has to do with population stats being unimportant, but I totally agree that all clubs have the potential to increase crowds.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

  6. #85
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,386
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,245
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,913
    Thanked in
    1,721 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    I'm not sure what it has to do with population stats being unimportant, but I totally agree that all clubs have the potential to increase crowds.
    Because stating that "only 1.7% of Sligo Town is attending Rovers matches" is rather unimportant.

    Stating that, "an extra 10,000 people came through the gates in 2017 compared to 2016" would be a much better comparison.

    It should matter little where they're coming from, or what percentage of which town is attending.

  7. #86
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,085
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    127
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    930
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    There are none so blind as those who cannot see

    It seems to me that one argument is from a statistical perspective, while the other is from a marketing viewpoint.

    It is possible that both are valid viewpoints

  8. #87
    Seasoned Pro micls's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,973
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    347
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    266
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    There are none so blind as those who cannot see

    It seems to me that one argument is from a statistical perspective, while the other is from a marketing viewpoint.

    It is possible that both are valid viewpoints
    It's a poor argument even from a statistical perspective though, as there are far too many confounding factors. For example, while we're obviously a Cork team, we draw fans from beyond Cork. Looking solely at a team and their areas population doesn't work for many teams. Then you've got things like areas which may have a large population, but similarly have other draws with large attendances taking away from the potential attendances at their games. For us, we've strong GAA teams in both codes, Munster rugby on the stadium's doorstep etc. Other areas would have similar challenges. In an area where football was the main/most successful sport, that would be a different story.

    From an overall perspective, all LOI attendances are poor. What matters at this point is growth.

  9. #88
    First Team ger121's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,877
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    227
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    355
    Thanked in
    195 Posts
    I’m going to go out on a limb here but I reckon attendances will be shocking for Game Week 4.

  10. #89
    Reserves fionnsci's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Baile an Teampaill
    Posts
    644
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    86
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    97
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Population is definitely relevant. But also important is how interested that population is in local football, how good the facilities are, how the team are performing, the proportion of that population that live conveniently close to the stadium, how likely that population is likely to "jump on the bandwagon" (County Cork for Cork City > Dublin City for Pat's, Bohs etc) etc etc etc. So you can't be too simplistic. The easiest thing to do probably is to compare to previous seasons.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

  11. #90
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    7,690
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    516
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    I know for ourselves in our early days in the top flight in the early 2000s we got our highest ever crowds but that was cos of winter football plus combination of no GAA plus we were doing so well brought the bandwagon brigade out hugely. theres so many people I know in Longford that used to go but haven't gone in over 15 years.. Summer soccer was the killer for the country clubs I am afraid!
    Neale Fenn red and black army

  12. #91
    Seasoned Pro micls's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,973
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    347
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    266
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Population is definitely relevant. But also important is how interested that population is in local football, how good the facilities are, how the team are performing, the proportion of that population that live conveniently close to the stadium, how likely that population is likely to "jump on the bandwagon" (County Cork for Cork City > Dublin City for Pat's, Bohs etc) etc etc etc. So you can't be too simplistic. The easiest thing to do probably is to compare to previous seasons.
    The GCSP, Great Cork Sporting Public, (ironically used) is a huge factor for us. When we're on a roll and there's a bit of buzz about, everyone wants to be able to say there were there when something important happened. If everyone that claims to have seen us win the league in 2005 was actually there, we could have filled The Aviva.

  13. #92
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    971
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    105
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    71
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    The distance between the non-Dublin clubs is a hindrance to bigger LoI crowds I think. There is a reason the GAA still wants to keep the provincial championships. Local rivalries result in better crowds. It would be interesting to compare Cork's visiting fans numbers last year with say Bray and St Pats; would the Dublin area based clubs be higher?
    Clusters of clubs outside Dublin would help in this regard. Get Cork back to the Hibs and Celtic days along with Cobh and Waterford to create one.

  14. #93
    Reserves fionnsci's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Baile an Teampaill
    Posts
    644
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    86
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    97
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    The distance between the non-Dublin clubs is a hindrance to bigger LoI crowds I think. There is a reason the GAA still wants to keep the provincial championships. Local rivalries result in better crowds. It would be interesting to compare Cork's visiting fans numbers last year with say Bray and St Pats; would the Dublin area based clubs be higher?
    Clusters of clubs outside Dublin would help in this regard. Get Cork back to the Hibs and Celtic days along with Cobh and Waterford to create one.
    I disagree in part. I think that Cork being a one club city is what means the city gets behind them. Anyone with a passing interest in soccer in the city (or county perhaps, I don't know the dynamics well) is a potential Cork fan because they have Cork in the name and represent the area. Same goes for other towns/cities/counties with a market to themselves. If you dilute that, you lose the bandwagon effect. Dublin GAA can potentially draw on the entire population of County Dublin if they get to the all-Ireland final. But Pat's, Bohs, Shels can't. I'd wager that the average barstooler in Cork is far more likely to get behind Cork City than his equivalent in Dublin as regards any of the Dublin clubs.

    However, i would like to see new (or old) markets being explored outside of Dublin. Hopefully we'll see Monaghan, Kilkenny, some Kerry representative emerge from the underage league to senior football in the years to come.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #94
    Seasoned Pro micls's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,973
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    347
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    266
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Huge amount of our support is from the County. Fermoy, West Cork etc all regularly have busses running. We also get a lot of support from surrounding counties without clubs like Kerry and Tipp

  17. #95
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,803
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    178
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    219
    Thanked in
    152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Because stating that "only 1.7% of Sligo Town is attending Rovers matches" is rather unimportant.

    Stating that, "an extra 10,000 people came through the gates in 2017 compared to 2016" would be a much better comparison.

    It should matter little where they're coming from, or what percentage of which town is attending.
    Completely disagree with that. Demographics are hugely important. Governments pay small fortunes on surveys for a very good reason.

    If your only comparison on your crowds is with last season then you are limiting your club big time. Knowing ages, sexes, where they are coming, how far they will travel, etc. from the population is huge and helps to plan marketing, promotions and where clubs need to focus their efforts both locally and further a field.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

  18. #96
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    971
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    105
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    71
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    The point about rural support is also true for Galway from my observations, very substantial numbers come from outside the city. In Ireland sport participation including attendance is a bigger part of people's lives for those outside the big urban centers. However West Cork soccer fans could still support either Cork Hibs or Celtic and have 4 derby games per year to look forward too. Also my idea of clusters is that these fans could run buses to a few away games as well as to Turners X. I am sure the fans of Dublin clubs on this forum do go to quite a few of their away games in the Dublin region.

  19. #97
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,085
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    127
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    930
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Completely disagree with that. Demographics are hugely important. Governments pay small fortunes on surveys for a very good reason.

    If your only comparison on your crowds is with last season then you are limiting your club big time. Knowing ages, sexes, where they are coming, how far they will travel, etc. from the population is huge and helps to plan marketing, promotions and where clubs need to focus their efforts both locally and further a field.
    It's so blindingly obvious that demographics are critically important to being able to plan and implement intelligent marketing.

    Of course that sort of data will remain irrelevant to those who see no benefit in allocating precious resources to that ould marketing stuff

  20. #98
    Reserves
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    360
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    19
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    948 for Limerick Vs Bray, maybe 20 Bray fans.

  21. #99
    New Signing
    Joined
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    attendance in Oriel Park for Dundalk vs Cork City is a strong 3,563

  22. #100
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    3,773
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    218
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    516
    Thanked in
    351 Posts
    And all 20 getting a handshake from the chairman, or so it seemed

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. IL attendances
    By sonofstan in forum Irish League
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08/08/2008, 12:47 AM
  2. Attendances are they up or Down?
    By Rovers Maniac in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 21/07/2008, 7:01 PM
  3. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 26/11/2007, 12:17 PM
  4. Attendances in the '60s and '70s
    By sonofstan in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 15/10/2006, 8:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •